DC Fan Art Club: "Out of Context Chaos" Submissions (Weekly Challenge #18, July 18-25)

@DCFanArtClub - If you participated in the week 18 challenge, now’s the time to show it off!

This week’s prompt was:

WEEK 18: “OUT-OF-CONTENT-CHAOS”

For this one, artists were challenged to pick a single line of text or dialogue from a comic and create original (and possibly very unrelated) art for it. If you can, share a photo of where you got your original text from alongside your art!

9 Likes

@CynicalPink I had gotten on a Batman kick lately so I have been rereading Knightfall, the storyline that got me into the character. I came across a panel and figured what animal has no spine? A jellyfish of course. Going obscure with the giant jellyfish from Aquaman Vol 3 number 1. I am including the panel with the original words and the new drawing.
PS Aquaman’s scales are a pain to draw but I love a challenge!

12 Likes

Wow! I never expect as much hard work with the weekly challenges, and yet you blew this one out of the water (no pun)! I feel squicky just looking at the jellyfish; I can imagine the squishiness and sting of those tentacles, thanks to the work you put into them. And your detailing on Aquaman is great, too! I think your work with shadows and faces has been improving!

8 Likes

I love the pun

4 Likes

Harley saying that line felt ironic, since it was in an alley also. When I read it, I then knew what I was going to draw.

9 Likes

Fantastic detail @ImpulseMaxMercury! Dude you get better and better! Those scales do look like a chore, but you did a great job on them. Also, I love how punny it is, LMAO!

5 Likes

Love this especially the persecptive of the alley, the lumpy trash bag and car in the background. The one color also gives it so much definition/depth. I like that you went dark with this as well. :muscle:

that’s partially why I didnt do the challenge…I thought it was supposed to be campy and mine did not turn out like that lol

3 Likes

Agreed everytime you post your art just keeps improving :clap: those scales do look especially tedious but it looks very well done. Shading is great along with his muscle definition!!

3 Likes

That is a brilliant, dark twist on the dialogue! I love it! And seconding stef — really love the drama you add with the light and shadow. The little textures on the wall, the trash can and bags, all impressive ways to keep such a crisp drawing fun to gaze at for a while!

3 Likes

@stefanie.m - Thank you so much for the kind words!! I tried to go campy and didn’t like what I had done, and also didn’t like the dialogue I chose. I lucked up on this while reading and inspiration struck. I am so happy you appreciated the little things in the whole and the perspective work I did for it, it was crucial to the piece so it made since.

@CynicalPink - Welcome back!(Don’t think I officially said that yet.) Thank you for the high praise! You and Stef really nailed the thoughts I was trying to convey, which really means a lot to me. I was trying for a “moving from light to dark”/“Happy times to unhappy times” theme. I wanted the shadow to almost look like a mouth about to swallow them up whole.

Thank you both again so much. I am hyped up now to work on the DC@Home submission and give it my all!

1 Like

These are so cool! I couldn’t even think of anything! :frowning:

1 Like

Ok since others (rob) went dark, i decided to post mine as well :upside_down_face:

Panel from Adventures of the super sons :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Cant wait to see what ya whip up!!

1 Like

Is is bad that I giggled a little at it? Dark humor is my fave, right after puns/dad jokes. The use of color was perfect here. Nicely done @stefanie.m!

1 Like