DC Fan Art Club: Monthly Challenge, March 2020

@loganmichaelphilips Maybe add the back of Joker’s head in the picture to make it clear that he is about to be punched.

At first I thought the Joker was caught by the Robinbot and he was storing him in his body.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! :smile:
Here is my attempt at Robbie the Robin, from Krypto the Superdog:

My black pencil got really blunt as I was coloring Ace’s cowl, and I can’t find my sharpener. :cry: So it just looks kind of faded in the back. :sweat_smile:

I enjoy drawing birds with biro pens, so I wanted to see if I could draw a (semi) realistic robin with the more cartoony costume added in. I felt like the (attempted :sweat_smile:) realism sorta took away from the playful/cartoony nature of Robbie though, so I decided to put a somewhat unimpressed Ace behind him to try and show the difference in personality.

This is the biro sketch. :slightly_smiling_face:

Plus color:

Thought I’d share my initial sketches too, because I found them funny. :sweat_smile: :laughing:

17 Likes

Everyone’s art looks AMAZING by the way. :smiley: :heart_eyes:
So many different styles, too :open_mouth:

7 Likes

I love the (very) realistic bird/cartoony dog effect!!

7 Likes

I finished Matt! I wanted to go for a advanced pose (at least advanced for me haha) so it took quite awhile. I hope everyone likes it.

11 Likes

So I left the cord that connects my tablet to my computer at my mom’s place, and I don’t currently own any colored pencils or pens (and I can’t go out because of this virus), but I messed around a bit with editing the photo and got this creepy-ish effect, which I thought was fitting for the Red Rain universe.

Also it’s been a while since I’ve drawn (which is why I joined this club - so I could be forced to do it more) so I’m not really happy with the shapes but whatever.

13 Likes

Love it. The blunt black pencil situation was a happy accident as it gives the cowl more depth. I imagine them standing next to the Bat Signal ready to jump into action.

Thanks for sharing your process too. It always fascinating to see the behind the scenes of an artist thought process as they make a piece,

5 Likes

Alright so I’ve added the jokers head to the back, hopefully this clears up confusion. Do you think the head is too dark to notice? Also to anyone else confused please tell me so that I can make this the best I can.

10 Likes

@CynicalPink can I take a leftover robin, Troy Walker.:question::grey_question:

4 Likes

Can I claim #11 Barbara Gordon ? Please

3 Likes

@RedDeath_Earth13 & @gilbertsanchez2.31878 - you’ve got them! Thanks for joining in!

2 Likes

@thelunarmouse I really love this composition; the blend in styles worked really well! Though I’m sorry your pencil suffered for it (this challenge is killing a lot of people’s tools…). I hope everyone clicks full-size to check out the intricate details and texture on Robbie, because they really added to your piece. And ty, as always, for sharing your process! It inspires me to get my own butt in gear.

@Broken-Knight Matt came out awesome!! Nice job tackling a trickier pose (both the legs and hand look spot on to me, which couldn’t be easy at that angle/in that position). Way to go with challenging yourself! His serious expression makes me think he’d get along with Tim in the field.

@Nightroia Crazy that you kind of stumbled on the filter/art effect, because it looks perfect for your Red Rain Robin! I’d have thought that was your game plan for the start if you hadn’t said otherwise. Especially the darkness on the bottom - I’d have figured that was a tree-line in the distance. Like he’s creepin’ outside of Wayne Manor. Thank you for sharing, and stay safe while staying indoors!

@loganmichaelphilips I don’t think it’s confusing at all! Still gorgeous and way more than I expected for a character who I originally thought was a flying metal egg. :star_struck:

5 Likes

Here’s my second piece

10 Likes

@RedDeath_Earth13 You’re a speedster! :flash_hv_1: Thanks for picking up one of the leftovers! #NoRobinLeftBehind. Troy looks really fierce, and you did a great job getting all of the little touches of his costume in.

4 Likes

Here’s my ThrillKiller Robin … Barbara Gordon. I was glad this was still up because I really like this comic.

14 Likes

@gilbertsanchez2.31878 Wow, she looks great! Love all the life to her hair, and that confident expression and pose nails her spirit from the first Thrillkiller book!

3 Likes

Thank you I’m really glad you made this for the community. Gives me a reason to try and draw again

4 Likes

@gilbertsanchez2.31878 My pleasure! Seeing everyone’s work inspires me to draw more than I used to, too :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@gilbertsanchez2.31878 I love this! She reminds me of Carmelita Fox :grin: totally interested in this comic now!

3 Likes

Hi! New face here! I’m super excited that this group exists Can I take Isabella Ortiz please? I don’t know her but I already know imma love her! :clap: Stoked to read this comic and draw her

7 Likes