DC Fan Art Club: Monthly Challenge, June, 2021

So I’ve been thinking I kinda wanna pencil Batwoman

5 Likes

I can pencil and/or ink something. I typically ink with physical inks. Honestly I haven’t opened up Medibang Paint or used my tablet in like two months at this point.

If anyone has any pencils to propose let me know. :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m available to do all three! Provide some pencil drawings, digitally ink and/or color something!!

(I tend to do lineart in a color that I associate with the character, but I can outline in black if that’s preferred)

I’d love to doodle or color a steph, be it her as spoiler, robin, or batgirl!

5 Likes

So, once we have the team ups decided, what is the timeline we’re looking?

3 Likes

Noob question, what is the difference between; pencils, colorists, and ink? If the outline is done in non-black would that be coloring? And isn’t ink the same as color?

2 Likes

This is the monthly challenge, so we’ll go all the way to the end of June.

2 Likes

Back in the non-digital age, the art would start as actual pencil on paper. That would then be sent to the inker to go over everything in black ink.

The colorist would then be filling in all the non-black color, adding special effects, etc.

With digital, pencils and inks can be combined. When I create something, I do the layouts on a layer with the ‘pencil’ brush and then I go over it on a second layer with a ‘ink’ brush.
When I add color, I just add a new layer under the ink and start coloring between the lines.

So for this, if I digitally inked someone, I would take the scan of their actual pencils, turn into into a layer of the digital file and “ink” over it.

4 Likes

So, for example Batman would be an outline, sent through a machine to amplify the outline?

And when you say layer, are you saying blur function? I have an Adobe program that I have been using but I am not sure about say Batman layered with rain drops. Could I use the Batman on my 1st layer and then use the 2nd layer for effects? Or would Adobe not be strong enough on a tablet for that?

I eventually want to get into 3D design but I want to get some practice with 2d effects 1st.

2 Likes

Hold on to that Kate Kane idea for a couple hours…it will fit nicely into next week’s challenge. :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry, I should’ve been more specific. I meant to ask; what time frame per element? As I am a penciller, I do not wanna take too long pencilling and then cause the inker and colorist to be short on time. Please do not hate on me for saying this though, I believe pencilling should be given a little bit more time due to the complexity of the initial creation. I am sure that did not come out the way I wanted it to, but I don’t know any other way of saying or asking that part. Sorry. I would like to just say I respect the artistic aspect of each element and do not mean to sound disrespectful at all. I draw and therefore not good at words. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

No worries, Rob, pencils do take a lot longer! Let’s try and get the teams worked out this weekend and then take 2 weeks for pencils. Ultimately you can work out as much time as you need with whoever you are partnered up with for the inks and/or colors.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Krita, but I would imagine Adobe has similar features.

A layer is not necessarily a blur function, but you can use blur on a layer (I know that sounds confusing).

I like to think of layers as things that just stack on top of one another. Layers higher up in the stack will cover layers below it. So if you have ink on top and colors below it, you do not have to worry about the color covering up the black ink lines.

You can add effects like blur and smudge to any part of any layer.

So if you were doing Batman in the rain, the top layer would be the raindrops, below it would be the ink outline of Batman and below that would be the colors.

4 Likes

Ok perfect time for my confusion. The 1st 2 I totally understand. I am confused on the colors below the outline? Ink outline is different than colors?

2 Likes

@Stephen.Gluck.Henderson.67303

Here’s an example from my latest pic of the Human Bomb.

This is my layer stack (always label your layers so you remember what is on each one).
layerstack

When I click the ‘eye’ on each layer I can turn it on and off.

Here is the picture with only the ink layer.

Now Ink + black (just the shadow on the legs, really)

Now adding in base color (with some smudging to blend the dark gray with the lighter gray and the light blue with the dark blue of the visor)

I added yellow and orange on their own layers so I could put the orange on top of the yellow.

Yellow visible (I made a mistake here and put some orange on the yellow layer…should have paid more attention to my layer names!)

And now all layers visible!

And that’s how I made the Human Bomb! There may be better ways to separate the layers as I’m still learning to work with color.

I’m curious how close this is to the process used by others.

5 Likes

So, in other words “black” is named as a color? I really liked your orange & yellow combo btw. I can see”ink” being what I thought of as “black”. I didn’t consider the converse of background as it’s own color before. This will really help me.

2 Likes

Black could also be shadow. I sometimes don’t even separate that one.

I’m sure people do things many different ways. The ‘right’ way is really just what works best for you!

4 Likes

If I’ve assembled all of the names correctly, I think this is who we have for each category.
There is always room for additions, of course!

Pencillers
DickGrayson_TheBoyFriendWonder
Jay_Kay
RobArt471
ImpulseMaxMercury
stefanie.m
TheRealDetectiveChimp
SGTSUGAR
keath
Goldk
Foofarow.Femme.Fatale
KingOfTheWickerPeople
Squintyfist
Jkoco17

Inkers
NYJt3
Jay_Kay
keath
Goldk
Foofarow.Femme.Fatale
Squintyfist
Jkoco17

Colorists
NYJt3
stefanie.m
Jurisdiction
Squintyfist
Jkoco17

We’ve had one request for a specific team up. So let’s start with:

Pencils: Stef
Ink and color: Squintyfist

I will open up a submission thread shortly and start pairing up the rest of the names. Some random and some if I think your styles will work well together.

We will fit everyone in if more wish to join in!

4 Likes

I think Squinty meant this Steph :upside_down_face:

But very excited to work with you! I havent read any of their comics but just from that quick Google I did for the above pic, they seem very cool. Want to DM to go over ideas @Squintyfist?

7 Likes

Omg, you’re right, I totally misread that. :smile:

Still, I’ m sure you two will create something awesome

4 Likes

OK…this was kind of tricky, but here is the initial line up.

We have a lot of pencillers and not as many pure inkers or colorists, so I had to double up for the inkers and colorists.

If it’s too much, just let me know and I will fill in.

Here we go!!

Pencils: stefanie.m
Ink and Color: Squintyfist

Pencils: :Jay_Kay
Ink and Color: Jkoco17 – we have the same initials, so let’s work together!

Pencils: SGTSUGAR
Inks: Goldk
Color: Jurisdiction

Pencils: ImpulseMaxMercury
Ink and Color: NYJt3

Pencils: :RobArt471
Ink and Color: Jkoco17 - I don’t think I can reach cici quality, but I’ll try my best.

Pencils: TheRealDetectiveChimp
Ink and Color: Squintyfist

Pencils: Foofarow.Femme.Fatale
Ink and Color: Jkoco17

Pencils: keath
Ink and Color: NYJt3

Pencils: DickGrayson_TheBoyFriendWonder
Inks: GoldK
Color: stefanie

Pencils and Inks: KingOfTheWickerPeople
Color: Jurisdiction

Pencils: Goldk
Ink and Color: JKoco17

I will open up a submission thread where we can adjust more, if needed.

6 Likes