DC Fan Art Club: 'Meet the Artist' Challenge

Thank you, @serenap95! I’m glad you enjoyed the piece!
I like your illustration and how you layed out your information in panel format! Great job!

3 Likes

Thanks @serenap95 for the kind words. I swear I erased that eye a bunch of times and it’s only 2 lines :rofl:

Like @EasternShoreSpeedster said the panel format is great. And I love that pose. Hope your feeling better.

4 Likes

@EasternShoreSpeedster - Thanks! I thought the panel format would go well with it being a comic book themed art club.

@stefanie.murr7 - Thank you! I’m still not feeling great, but hopefully will be soon.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the compliments @serenap95! I totally feel the same way with the bad art/good story and good art/bad writing. It’s super frustrating especially when it happens to your favorite characters.

I love how neat and orderly your Meet the Artist piece is and the shade of green is really pleasing to the eyes. (At least to mine haha). I hope you feel better soon!

3 Likes

@serenap95 thanks for the kind words! I was looking for a subject to showcase my sense of humor and the Legends and Beebo fit the bill. An all Beebo episode may be too much but a part of an episode (like last season when they kept doing parodies of Charlie’s angels) would work.
I’m glad you enjoy my summaries. I’ll have another one tomorrow night ( delayed watching)

3 Likes

Pencils and watercolor are my favorite tools, but my best pictures are drawn with words.

The DCAU is what really grabs my attention, but I enjoy riffling through the comics as well. Muddled continuity is pain though, sometimes making it a chore just to figure out which comics align where. Graphic story telling is challenging in that you are limited by how much you can fit in one comic, so there’s a constant tug-of-war between story and characterization. It has the advantage of facial expression; there are some things words can’t do justice. And you also have character thoughts on page, which you can’t get from television or film. Tradeoffs. I’d like to see a comic/novel hybrid, long texts broken up with panels where emotion or action steals the scene.

Till Next Time,
RainStorm

13 Likes

Okay, this is cool. Great use of negative space.

3 Likes

Thank you! I like the piece you submitted, and the explanation on graphics—spot on!

3 Likes

@serenap95, absolutely love it! It’s so bright and playful, but also super clean, which is the style that comes to mind after seeing your work on the V-day cards.

@RainStormRiddles As someone who’s also way behind the times, I feel your pain with the muddled continuity. I’d also love a comic/novel hybrid. They’re a thing in Japan, and there are illustrated novels in the states, so it would be great if DC could break into that happy medium.

Welcome, newcomers, by the way! I’ve gotten some messages with people telling me they’re lurking rather than participating, so warm hellos to you as well! :wave:

I feel like I’ve been doing a really mediocre job at leading this club as of late. :sweat_drops: Sorry, everyone! I’m on my cell all the time, but it’s been hard to drag my butt to the computer after work, and I really do prefer to look at everyone’s art on a screen that’s worthy of them.

And while I’m behind on my own submission to the challenge, I promise I’ve got the first weekly challenge prepped for tomorrow, as well as the inaugural monthly challenge, hitting the boards this Sunday. Lookin’ forward to see what you’ll create for them!

4 Likes

Thank you!

I’m looking forward to seeing what challenges March holds.

2 Likes

@EasternShoreSpeedster I absolutely love your Flash going in a Flash ? I am tied at Barry and Wally I can’t choose. I am a huge Flash fan too so hit me up if you need to talk every thing Flash or speed force .

3 Likes

Originally I had planned to do shading and all that fun stuff. Instead, I scanned in all my napkin doodles from a day at the bookstore and digitally plopped them in wherever they would fit. So, fin! With two hours to spare.

13 Likes

OK, I like Huntress and Azrael, but that’s still hilarious and accurate.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m with @JeepersItsTheJamags, I love Huntress and find Azrael…okay, but those are still pretty hilarious. And I feel you on the whole “have a whole bunch of different tools but too scared to use them.” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I love everything about this whole piece! I actually think the sketchiness of it adds a nice personality to it.

2 Likes

Thank you! And I appreciate the invite for discussing the Flash—I’ll def take you up on that.

2 Likes

@JeepersItsTheJamags Haha, thank you for being a good sport! I’m honestly looking forward to reading BoP and whatever other titles involving them to get a better perspective on their characters.

@Jay_Kay It’s the worst. I either draw stuff that feels unworthy of my fancy, discounted goods — or I draw something I’m really proud of, and I’m afraid if I add color to it, I’m gonna screw it up. Vicious cycle of neglect. :scream:

@Broken-Knight Thanks! In some ways, maybe my procrastination paid off :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hey, everyone! Here’s my sorta late intro piece (I saw the Birds of Prey movie the other day, and it’s been on my mind ever since. I also love Black Canary so.) As far as tools go, I’ve been getting into digital art the past few months and I’m trying to get used to that. It’s been pretty fun so far!

I’m a sucker for anything related to the Batfamily, but I honestly love most of the characters DC has, so I can’t pick any favorites. Something I can’t stand, though, is how dumb they make Nightwing in the animated movies. I also hate drawing actual backgrounds. Hate it.

(also everyone’s art on here is super cool and all of you seem really nice, so I can’t wait to see where this club goes!)

13 Likes

THANK YOU.

Also, glad you jumped in. :smiley: You’re amazingly good at capturing the likeness of the characters! I love seeing movie Dinah look happy to have a mic in her hands, too. This is a multiverse crossover I need.

4 Likes

That is lovely! Batman with the … above his head made me snort and his pose is great. Huntress is perfect!

2 Likes