DC Fan Art Club: May, 2024 - Poison Ivy, Bane and the Bat Signal

Thanks Rob. I lines on the pants come from studying David Finch’s work. He drew a bunch of issues of Batman during the Rebirth era with Bane. He uses that effect a lot.

The hands were just free-form. Probably would be better if I used some reference :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great work on this!

3 Likes

I totally see that. Funny you say that about “studying”. I am doing a study of Marc Silvestri’s female characters. I am hoping to incorporate it into my Poison Ivy. Maybe even take some of his shadowing techniques into Bane. Still not sure if I will be doing separate drawings or just one with details and backgrounds.

3 Likes

Always a good idea to learn from some of the best.

I couldn’t think of a good pose for Bane. I started thinking ‘how does this guy look cool’?

Then I come across Finch’s work and this:

The rendering and the lighting here are just fantastic. I can’t match that, but it gave me inspiration and good reference. Not to mention the bit about the pants.

3 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

I forgot to mention I follow Finch’s YouTube channel and watch him draw from time to time. He is amazing!

4 Likes

Your art is awesome JKPro! :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

@Jay_Kay
Awesome™:+1: Ivy. Really Great colors.

@ImpulseMaxMercury
Awesome™:+1: Ivy too. Nice with the leaves. And great bane. Nice one for both and great expression on the second.

@JKoco17
Amazing Ivy. Really like the back effect you did and great with colors and flow of it all. Also awesome™:+1: Bane. Nice colors and pose. Like how you did the venom tube.

@the_Rubber_Bandit
Looks awesome™:+1:. Very fancy. Like the the designs on the dress.

6 Likes

For my Bane went for a quick close up. Like how it came out. Especially my sketchy line look here.

5 Likes

I like what you did here. Even in this close up he looks huge and imposing. :metal::metal:

3 Likes

Those eyes give him an angry look, even through the mask.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I erased and redrew those so many times to try to get that :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

A little Bane and a little blood. Poor Bats.

4 Likes

That’s a lot of blood!

Great work! Nice touch on the pants :wink:

What did you think of the belt? I like the symmetry of it, but it kind of got away from me when I drew it. Yours looks spot on!

2 Likes

Thanks, I took your lead.

First off, thank you for noticing it. I have it special attention due to it being part of his signature look along with the venom hose and mask.
I actual like it. Big and chunky and not too many details. But keeping it symmetrical is the hardest part. It all starts with that center round buckle. Nail that and the rest is easier to get right.
PS
Did you like the blood? I was afraid it was too much, but I really like when Ryan Ottley uses it. Which he was my inspiration for it.

2 Likes

This is awesome! Loving the batarang

2 Likes

Thank you! I thought it was a nice touch, but it was an afterthought to be honest. :grin:

2 Likes

I do like the blood! It has a good random splatter and drippy quality to it.

2 Likes