DC Fan Art Club: May, 2024 - Poison Ivy, Bane and the Bat Signal

Hi @DCFanArtClub, it’s May!! For this month, we are going to hang around in Batman’s corner of the world as we draw Poison Ivy, Bane and the Bat Signal.

First up is Poison Ivy. Has anyone been following her latest series (available right here on DCUI)? It’s had a consistent creative team of G Willow Wilson and Marcio Tarkara and has really turned into something special.

Ivy has been cut off from the green and has developed mushroom powers that grow right out of her skin. The series has a creepy/horror vibe to it.

Of course, as part of the art club, we can focus on any version of Ivy. From the classic to mushroom-Ivy to the animated series, pick your favorite!

If you are looking for inspiration, check out Poison Ivy Uncovered. It collects covers from all the different versions of Ivy and there is a lot of beautiful art in there.

Up next is Bane! Best know for ‘breaking the Bat’ back in the 1990s, his character has evolved over the years. He became a leader in Secret Six and was also played for laughs (along with everyone else) in Harley Quinn’s animated series.

Artistically, even though he swore off using Venom a few years after he was introduced, he still frequently is shown with the tubes connected to his mask and body. Lots of opportunities to bulk him up and create some intense visuals,

The last topic this month is to create something that contains the Bat Signal.

Some classic variations are:

• A rooftop scene of Gordon and company with the Bat Signal behind them. This is a good opportunity to play with back-lighting and shadows.

• The signal displayed against the clouds or a cityscape with or without members of the Bat-family.

Get creative and make your own iconic image!

Post your thoughts and work in the thread below and thanks for being a part of the art club here at DC Universe Infinite!

Due Date: May 31, 2024

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

9 Likes

Bane Plants and Bat. Enjoy drawing all these. Definitely have some ideas ready.

4 Likes

Oh, fun. I had an idea for DC Power (in February?) that I never made progress on, but will also work for this month. Plan is planned. Might add background Bane and Ives for lolz

4 Likes

If anyone has any favorites they would like to see included in a future month (like, say, Ms Martian, Young Justice and Secret Six) please please please let me know!

3 Likes

How did you know? (#keepbingingyj)

4 Likes

wild

5 Likes

Shall we start a list :crazy_face:

The Flash’s rogues gallery
Fire and Ice grouping
Supporting characters only - no supers
Green Lantern Corps members only
New Gods
Sidekicks only
Metal Dark Knights
Shazam family

4 Likes

They prefer protege (#keepbingingyj)

4 Likes

Some of these we’ve touched on in the past, but I’m definitely open to revisiting them.

That actually brings up another question.

In an effort to keep things fresh, I’m always looking for new characters we haven’t featured before. However, that also means if we’ve finally figured out how to draw a complicated costume, we never come back to it.

How’s everyone feel if we start to revisit some of our favorite teams and draw more Young Justice, New Gods, Flash villains and Green Lanterns?

And at some point I’m going to sneak in Ghost Fist from the Immortal Men, since he was one of the first characters I drew when I started in the group and I’d like to see how everyone interprets him. :slight_smile:

Ghostfist

5 Likes

Funnily enough, I actually did a Poison Ivy piece a day or two ago. It was supposed to be a quick sketch, but then I got Ideas and an hour or two later…

I believe I’ll do another one soon, though…

8 Likes

This gives me ‘50s art vibes. Very nice indeed. :metal::metal:

3 Likes

Looks good! Kind of reminds me of Uma Thurman as Ivy.

3 Likes

One last suggestion for ya.

Damage

I really like Tony S Daniel and he co-created this character and I enjoyed his short run in DC Comics. So much so, I went back and bought all his back issues and first appearance in Dark Days: The Casting #1

3 Likes

Ah, DC’s Hulk from the New Age of DC Heroes initiative. I enjoyed Damage along with Sideways and the Immortal Men.

The whole line started out hot, but quickly cooled off when the big name artists left and then Covid hit.

Damage would be a good one to continue our ‘big guy’ trend after Kilowog and Bane.

Tony Daniel is a Chicago guy, I believe. I was at a Y2K party back in 1999 and one of my wife’s friends was talking about her cousin (I think…) who drew comics…and it was Tony Daniel!

Never did get to meet him properly, but it’s a small world sometimes, huh?

3 Likes

It is a small world indeed sometimes. :metal:

4 Likes

I just went to just gorgeous and grabbed my 1st few dozen Ivy pics…

6 Likes

Apologies. I didn’t look closely enough. I thought it was just pics from comics. No disrespect meant. I can’t draw anyway lol…

3 Likes

I drew Poison Ivy as if she was being held up by a vibe coming through the foliage in the forest. I feel I may have made her face too cute and not fierce enough but I like how it turned out.
The leaves on her costume were a pain to draw and I hope I did the background well enough to look like trees.

6 Likes

No worries! You’ve provided us all some Ivy reference so we don’t have to look it up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice work on Ivy! The details on the costume may be tiring to draw, but they show through in the end!

4 Likes