DC Fan Art Club: March 2023 Spotlight - The Jurassic League, Shazam Family and Jonah/Jinny Hex

Hi @DCFanArtClub and welcome to March!

I enjoyed the format last month where the topics covered 1) something new to DCUI, 2) a DC family of characters and 3) a wildcard of something obscure, lesser known or just fun to draw.

This month those topics are 1) The Jurassic League, 2) The Shazam family and 3) Jonah or Jinny Hex!!

The Jurassic League is a 6 issue series that has a pretty serious tone, but then throws in names that make me smile.
This is an alternate reality where all of the DC heroes and villains are dinosaurs (in costumes too!). There is a good amount of violence and gore that comes with the territory for a prehistoric era.
We have names such as Batsaur vs Jokerzard in Growltham City. Along for the ride are Supersaur and Wonderdon in places like Metraaaghpolis!

Lots of fun and interesting designs to choose from!

Hey, there is a new Shazam movie coming to theaters on March 17! Sounds like a perfect time to spotlight the Shazam family (or do you call it the Shazamily?).

Choose from the movie version, classic Big Red Cheese or the modern comic version.
If you are feeling villainous, maybe someone like Doctor Sivana or Mister Mind is more your speed.

Admittedly, I have not read much of either character, but I know Jonah has a long, long history and Jinny was introduced by Brian Bendis as part of his Wonder Comics line and appeared in Young Justice.

Jonah Hex’s first appearance was all the way back in 1972. He has that distinctive scar and checks all the boxes for an old wild west look.

Seventy issues of his 2010 comic series are available right here on DCUI. In addition, he’s had a live action movie and appeared in a few episodes of Legends of Tomorrow.

Virginia “Jinny” Hex is the great-great-granddaughter of Jonah Hex. She was a normal teenager until her mother showed her a trunk of artifacts that once belonged to her great-great-grandfather.

So try your hand at an old school western or a modern teenage version, just make sure to be in a wild west mood.

Post your thoughts and work in the thread below and thanks for being a part of the art club here at DC Universe Infinite!

Due Date: March 31, 2023

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

9 Likes

Well dang. I drew my Shazam Couple week ago. guess I can’t submit. :unamused:

4 Likes

Awesome™:+1:. Definitely sounds fun for with some Dinos. And Shazamy and hex’s too.

5 Likes

You can always repost or link to it here.

Or the Marvel family sure has a lot of members…

3 Likes

From The Jurassic League, here is Batsaur and his young friend.

12 Likes

OMG I love this!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks, it really is a series that provides a lot of good inspiration.

3 Likes

Love the snarl he has! Great work on giving him size and bulk! :fire:

3 Likes

I needed to escape the world for a couple hours and this just happened. I am not familiar with the comics, but I am sure this is supposed to be the Joker Dino version.

11 Likes

Thanks Rob!

It is. That is Jokerzard!! Very awesome work!

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Sorry I haven’t posted yet.
Been a little hectic lately but will try to get some time tomorrow

3 Likes

Wow… amazing

3 Likes

Very much appreciated! Thank you :pray:

3 Likes

Really wanted to work on a flying perspective. Shazam is great for that!

9 Likes

Great work on that perspective coming right at us!

3 Likes

@JKoco17
Awesome™:+1: Bat-Rex. Great lay out of them. And nice with the teeth.

Shazam is great too. Well done with the perspective.

@RobArt471
Awesome™:+1: Jokerzard. The hair claws teeth very menacing.

2 Likes

I made Atrocitaurus for my Jurassic piece. Wanted to focus on the face. Haven’t drawn monster/beast/animal in while. Always enjoy drawing those. Especially the teeth.

8 Likes

First, thank you for the kind words above.

This is awesome! I can feel the aggressive rage of him. Great job :clap:

2 Likes

2 Likes