DC Fan Art Club: In Honor of Juneteenth

Week13Banner

Juneteenth, originating in 1865 and observed annually on June 19, commemorates the official end of slavery in the U.S. (more than 2 years after Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation and months after the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment, if we’re getting technical).

In commemoration of this day, the DC Fan Art Club lent their talents to showcase black cast members of DCU comic, live action and animated lore.

Line
@DCFanArtClub Feel free to start sharing your pieces below! Other members of the community, you’re encouraged to comment or join in with your own art.

Community: If you’re aware of other points during the year when people of different heritage are celebrated (e.g., Hispanic Heritage Month in Sept.), please feel free to comment. The club can take these into account for future challenges. Thank you!

Line

11 Likes

23 Likes

Cyborg Jim lee recreation

24 Likes

@loganmichaelphilips I flippin love this. I really like the idea of the ring exploding with all those weapons/powers. That dragon and clawed hands :+1: it’s beautiful!

@Viciousdark lovely work, especially the bold lines around his hand! And the pop of red.

6 Likes

Earth-2 Superman Mr. Val Zod

21 Likes

Duke Thomas/The Signal

19 Likes

Magnificent art work @loganmichaelphilips

2 Likes

@loganmichaelphilips John was my first introduction to the Lanterns, via the animated JL, and I always appreciated the quiet strength he provided to the group. Your art is a great show of still waters running deep, given the complexity of that attack!

@Viciousdark I already babbled over how amazed I was at the level of detail you captured in this, but the red is new, and I like how it adds that little bit of pop!

@nightwing2005 Awesome! I didnt even know about this character! Thanks for highlighting one of the lesser knowns (or is he really popular and I’m just ignorant :sweat_drops: ? )

@chongoboy1014 Aw man, his expression is heartbreaking! I actually have a hardcopy of some of his run but haven’t read it yet. Really nice shadow work with the markers, too.

4 Likes

This is amazing art :art: Magnificent job @Viciousdark

2 Likes

Nice work @nightwing2005​:+1::ok_hand:

2 Likes

Amazing Man
I went old school and actually used pencil and paper while I was at work.

Bloodwynd

Tyroc

16 Likes

Love how you shade your faces. Especially on Bloodwynd, the shadows and highlights really convey the power he’s about to let loose. You’re another club member who’s good at hands, apparently, too. show off :smirk:

@loganmichaelphilips Amazing! I love how much detail you added to the construct - it looks fantastic!

@Viciousdark Incredible work! Love everything about this! I especially love the splash of color with the red, and your detailing on the machine parts is really well done.

@nightwing2005 This looks great! Really like your shading on this piece!

@chongoboy1014 Great job! I love Duke and you really did him justice with this piece! I think you did an especially good job on his Signal armor/suit.

@Goldk Wow! These are all really awesome! I particularly like the shading/highlighting on these.

5 Likes

Totally didn’t realize how fast this week went by…so here is a quick sketch.

18 Likes

That shading is fantastic. Love thee T-Spheres.

2 Likes

Thanks! Circles are hard to freehand.

2 Likes

John Stewart, The Green Lantern. His more vintage look.
This painting was done in week.
I need more practice.

18 Likes

@Z-A-C always love your inking! Wish I could do crosshatching shadows that well.

@ddeleonvfx Awesome use of traditional media! Was it done in markers/ink? And I think this is another excellent capture of John and the power he holds.

1 Like

I used mainly acrylic paint, some of the black lines I used a waterbase pen. I’m not good at creating thin lines with a brush yet :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@CynicalPink here is my entry for this week.
Being the leader of the Legendary Island of Misfits I reached back a few seasons for Jefferson Jackson, Firestorm.
I miss having him on the show and wish he was back!

16 Likes