DC Fan Art Club: April 2023 Spotlight - Gen 13, Flash Family and Hitman

Hi @DCFanArtClub! Let’s jump into April!

We will continue with the usual format, but with a slight twist. Our three topics will cover 1) Something new to DCUI, 2) a DC family of characters and 3) something obscure, lesser known or just fun to draw.

For ‘new to DCUI’, let’s go with something that is not recently published, but which DC has been steadily adding to the backlist every week – Gen 13! Fairchild, Grunge, Burnout, Rainmaker and Freefall debuted in 1994 from Wildstorm and Image Comics.

For better or worse, it captured all major trends of the 90s. It also introduced the world to the art of J Scott Campbell. We haven’t seen much of the Gen 13 kids lately, but with Wildcats back, maybe Gen 13 will not be too far behind.

DCUI Ultra has the Omnibus here which contains the original mini series as well as the first issues of the ongoing series.

For the DC family of characters, let’s go with the Flash Family.

With the Flash CW show winding down next month and the comic about to be restarted as part of Dawn of DC, now seems like a good time to look back over the many, many speedsters that make up this corner of the DC Universe.

We have Barry Allen and Wally West, of course, but also the extended universe of characters such as Jay Garrick, Impulse, Max Mercury, Jesse Quick, XS and evil counterparts like Zoom and Reverse Flash. Choose your favorite!

Our final topic this month is Hitman. Also from the 90s, Tommy Monaghan was introduced in The Demon Annual 2 as part of the Bloodlines annuals.

The series that followed by Garth Ennis and John McCrea was really unique and would probably have to be a Black Label series today. They really pushed the envelope with dark comedy and violence as only Garth Ennis could conceive.

If you haven’t read any issues, the whole series is available right here and is certainly worth a look.

Post your thoughts and work in the thread below and thanks for being a part of the art club here at DC Universe Infinite!

Due Date: April 30, 2023

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

11 Likes

Interesting don’t know much about about gen 13 and hitman but looking forward to learn some stuff. As for flash nice. Definitely a lot to choose from.:thinking:

4 Likes

@Jurisdiction

4 Likes

Thanks for tag!! I actually already nerded out in the KSC

3 Likes

Gen 13 started out with J Scott Campbell and then other artists with a similar style, but the issues that are being added to DCUI now are drawn by Gary Frank in his much more realistic style. His art is just as consistent today as it was over 20 years ago!

As for Hitman, it really is very unique. I still remember the bit from issue 1 where Tommy throws up on Batman’s shoes! Don’t read that every day!

4 Likes

Hey @Jurisdiction - Besides the Christmas issue, do you have any favorite Hitman issues or arcs that you would point new readers towards?

3 Likes

Oh god! The whole series lol! Hitman/Lobo: That Stupid Bastich is a great story too!

3 Likes

I don’t know why I’m admitting this on a public forum, but yeah, I had a poster of Caitlin (and Grunge) from the Rolling Stone Janet Jackson homage cover on my wall in college. (Might still have it somewhere…) So y’all know which one of these I’m picking. Will try not to draw too adolescently.

5 Likes

For Gen13 I went with one my favorites Freefall. Her look has always struck me and I loved the multi colored hair. I tried to give her a sense of floating but had seen multiple references for how her power looked so I tried my own.
On a more personal note, I have been recently dealing with some pain in my drawing hand so I cannot draw for as long as I used to, so I pace myself and try to draw in a looser style do as not to aggravate it. I still love to draw and will keep up with this community as long as I can as I consider you like my extended artistic family. I just may slow down my output until I can (hopefully) get it fixed.

8 Likes

Ah, the Gen-et 13 cover! I remember it well.
Gen 13 #1 had 13 variant covers, most of which were parodies or homages to other pop culture stuff going on at the time.

Found this link from CBR where you can see them all.

4 Likes

Nice work on Roxy and cool floating effects.

Take care of that hand and don’t worry about keeping up with everything here. We’ll be around and you can always pop in whenever you are able.

4 Likes

Thanks!
My hand pain had started some time ago, went to a doctor for a while and the pain was able to go away. Recently it has come back and of course it has to be on the hand I draw and write with so that sucks. another appointment in a couple of weeks so we will see.

4 Likes

Nice work on Freefall my friend!

I am sorry to hear about the issue with your drawing hand. I think I know kinda how you feel. I have a disease that unfortunately is not yet curable that affects my right arm and by extension my drawing hand. More recently it has gotten worse and nothing seems to help much. That has been the reason I have been so off and on here for the last six months or so. Just remember that good things don’t always happen to you, although YOU may be the good thing happening to another. Stay bright and be your best. Draw when you can and I promise I will too!

Rob :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Hang in there Rob. Here’s hoping for brighter days ahead.

3 Likes

Thank you, but I am sorry. That was supposed to be for IMM and not about me and I think I failed that.
I am good and not down about anything. I work through it and move on. The trick is positivity. Stay positive and life is full of positive times and memories. Focus on the bad times and all you have is memories of bad times.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the kind words!
This is why I feel this has been one of the most supportive online communities I have been part of.
I love drawing and just am taking it slowly but never stopping. Just pacing myself and taking breaks not trying to push through a drawing all in one sitting like I used to do.
Here is my Hitman as I was inspired by drawing him guns ablaze falling through a window.

8 Likes

All that action and he still has his cigarette! Awesome :clap:

3 Likes

Tommy!!!

Great job @ImpulseMaxMercury!!

3 Likes

Nice work on Hitman! Action, shattered glass and still with that gritted smile on his face.

I didn’t do it on purpose, but I’ve noticed as I’m looking up reference that both Hitman and Freefall smoked a lot. Another holdover from the 90s!

4 Likes

I am working up a new Hitman piece for next week, but here is a clip of Tommy and Nat that I drew way back in 1999! The faces were the best part of it and they were done with good old pencil and ink on paper!

7 Likes