DC ENDLESS WINTER - Event Discussion

Endless Winter has finally begun here on DC Universe Infinite! The first issue of the nine issue event that started in December, 2020 has arrived here on DCUI and it’s time for those of us that have been patient to dive in and join the fun!

It all begins with ‘Justice League: Endless Winter Special #1’ which was promoted with:

“Endless Winter” chapter one! The crossover event of the season begins here! The Justice League encounters an extinction-level global storm brewing at the former site of the Fortress of Solitude. Enter the Frost King, a monster mad with power with an army at his command! What devastating mystery lies in his past? And how does he tied to Queen Hippolyta, Swamp Thing, Viking Prince, and their reluctant ally, Black Adam? Two timelines will reveal further clues and secrets throughout each chapter of this blockbuster tale!

WRITTEN BY: Andy Lanning, Ron Marz
PENCILS: Howard Porter, Marco Santucci
INKS: Howard Porter, Marco Santucci
COVER BY: Mikel Janin

What a great cover by Mikel Janin. Not only do you feel cold just looking at it but you see six members of the Justice League ready to fight and peep the glimpse of their foe in this battle in the reflection on Wonder Woman’s sword! Just beautiful artwork.

Now that you know the particulars go on and read this issue and then come back for discussion and to share your thoughts!

:00_justice_league2: :wonderwoman: :superman: :00_aquaman: :batman: :theflash: :00_lc_green_lantern:

Ok, now that you’re back…what did you think of this first issue? What was your favorite moment/panel? Which member of this Justice League is your favorite? Which past member of the Justice League that isn’t included in this version do you think would be the best addition to this team? Reminder - if your answer to any of this includes a spoiler be sure to use the spoiler shield to protect others who may not have read the issue yet.

I’ve been looking forward to this hitting DCUI for, well, six months and I’m so excited it’s finally here (could you tell? :wink: ). Hope you enjoyed reading it and looking forward to discussing it with y’all!

To all moderators or those that are wondering - I know that there was already a topic dedicated to discussion of this event but that one was months ago for people that bought the books and read it back in December and January. That thread, I’m guessing, would be very tough to join/read now without getting spoilers for what’s to come. A quick scroll through that thread showed there wasn’t a single spoiler shield in all the posts so I started this one for anyone that, like me, is just now starting to read the event and wants to discuss it without getting anything spoiled.

3 Likes

Just finished reading it…some thoughts:

• The Frost King was buried under Superman’s Fortress of Solitude or was placed there/activated by the Kryptonian crystals melding with the ice?
  • Where is Barry’s fascination with work/life balance coming from?
  • Wasn’t expecting TWO new characters in this book but we got them! Frost King, who appears to be an ancient and formidable foe, and Viking Prince - a just as ancient warrior!
  • Very surprised to see Swamp Thing in Kahndaq. Interested to find out how that came about.
  • Where did Sebastian Stagg disappear to once the storm hit? :thinking:
  • I recognize Hippolyta and Viking Prince in this panel but the other guy is not Black Adam as he is in Kahndaq later when winter covers the earth. So who is the other guy?
    Justice League - Endless Winter #1 Panel

I really enjoyed it and it set up the story and the scenario well. Looking forward to The Flash #767 and Superman: Endless Winter Special #1 next week to see where it goes from here!

3 Likes

This is one of my favorite DC events in recent years. It’s very polished, fun, and has some nice surprises on the road to Infinite Frontier!

4 Likes

I’ve read The Flash #767 and Superman: Endless Winter Special #1 and am really enjoying this event so far. One-third of the way into it and we have a foe the Justice League seems helpless to stop, we have hints that Black Adam has vanquished this foe in the past and may be holding back on how to stop it again and we have a new hero - Viking Prince.

Just about to dive into the the next three issues - Aquaman #66, Justice League #58 and Teen Titans: Endless Winter Special #1. These ought to be the meat and potatoes of the story leading up to next week’s conclusion!

3 Likes

Just a bit of history:

Summary

The Viking Prince is not a new character, but an existing one. He was created in 1955. The character first appeared in The Brave and the Bold #1, and was created by Robert Kanigher and drawn by Joe Kubert.

In the early silver age, DC was using many genres and time periods to create heroes. Robin Hood and the Silent Knight was also in the issue

4 Likes

Hey @LukashCartoon.74777, welcome back to the community! Thanks for the mini-history lesson, it’s always good to learn more about the old and new heroes joining us.

Feel free to let the moderator team know if you need anything. :smiley:

3 Likes
  • :cold_face: Endless Winter Special #1
  • :theflash: The Flash #767
  • :superman: Superman: Endless Winter Special #1
Thoughts after reading the first three parts

Interesting that this whole thing starts off with The Flash asking all the other members of the Justice League about their work/life balance. He even visits Black Lightning while he decorates the Christmas Tree with his kids. Then in Part 2 (Flash #767) we see The Flash at his breaking point before he’s recharged by Black Adam in Kahndaq. In Part 3 (Superman: Endless Winter Special #1) we see Superman at his breaking point when he’s emotionally recharged by his parents and Krypto. Getting ready to start Aquaman #66 and I wonder three things:

1. Where has Arthur Curry been since the early pages of Endless Winter #1
  2. What effect has the global winter had on the world’s oceans
  3. Will he be at his breaking point as well and, if so, who will recharge him?

Of course, the biggest question is who are the three people stuck in the ice that Stagg has uncovered? Gotta be Hippolyta, Swamp Thing and Viking Prince - right?!? But how!?!

2 Likes

:00_aquaman:

Aquaman #66 Thoughts

Well, that was a QUICK read. Not sure why but that one absolutely flew by. We learned that Hippolyta is our narrator, Swamp Thing was killed by the Frost King’s ice warriors back in the 10th Century and that the Fire Trolls beneath Atlantis are uniquely suited to help in this fight. Arthur Curry didn’t hit a breaking point and it appears his marriage with Mera is one of the strongest things in the DC Universe. :00_aquaman:

I loved how Andy was so happy throughout the issue and how Aquaman and Mera had to balance being parents with being members of the Justice League in a war (again, the work/life balance is a theme).

Not a lot of answers in this issue at all but good to see that things below the surface of the ocean are better than they are on dry land and it appears that we finally have some hope in the war against the ice warriors!

1 Like

Out of order here but I seem to be talking to myself anyway so here we go… :wink:

Teen Titans: Endless Winter Special #1

My Thoughts
  • I thought it was a bit…childish…to have the Teen Titans literally babysitting and washing dishes while literally the entire world is under attack. This is Part Six of a nine part series and we have superheroes doing domestic work rather than being out there fighting and helping people? Come on.
  • A girl named “Summer” having mysterious powers after being trapped in ice during an Endless Winter event can’t be a coincidence. She’s going to be a big part of the story going forward.
  • Black Adam putting the Frost King’s family at risk, and Hippolyta doing so as well, was an intense moment and brutal decision. It’s clearly come back to haunt them and it’s interesting that after going out to lead the fight against the Frost King in the 10th Century both are staying home to defend their own rather than join the fight this time around.
1 Like

The only reasons why I’m not on the community more is I’m DCUniverse now…and I don’t want to spoil myself :smile:

1 Like

I skimmed this thread really quick and didn’t see an answer to this, but is there a list of the reading order for this somewhere? I want to read it. I just want to make sure I read it in the right order.

1 Like

You’ve come to the right place, @Row.Harper!

Prelude (Not part of the actual event but parts in these books will give you some background on what happens in Endless Winter):

• Justice League Dark (2018) #20-28
  • Black Adam: Year of the Villain #1
  • Aquaman #53-57
  • Man of Steel #1-6
  • Teen Titans Special #1, Teen Titans #20-24

The Main Event:

1 Like

Thank you!!