DC Direct Shut Down?

So the news just came out about the Warner Media and DC lay offs. Which is, of course, really bad news for the people working there. One of the biggest hits was that DC Direct is getting shut down. After 22 years of great products for fans and enthusiasts. This makes me wonder what will become of the lines currently produced by DC Direct like Batman Black and White and DC Essentials. If anyone has thoughts, questions, or news on this please put it here.

6 Likes

Yeah some crazy news today, not sure what’s going to hapoen

1 Like

This is scary, more and more ppl are starting to careless about tangible entertainment and literature. Companies know this. WB is worried about HBO Max, Disney Plus, Netflix and ofc Youtube. I wouldn’t doubt it if printed comics are in danger of being cut as well. I can’t imagine the heartbreak if that happens. I love my comic collecting.

2 Likes

I hope that doesn’t happen. I think Marvel would be the first to do it. It’s pretty obvious that Disney doesn’t see it as a priority but I think DC really has their heart in it and wouldn’t end it anytime soon and if they did I’m sure they would go to just trade paperbacks and hardcovers.

1 Like

I have no special inside knowledge here but an educated guess. With DC slowly ramping up its relationship with McFarlane Toys, I think that’s where DC’s future is in merchandise production.

6 Likes

I am really worried about the future of DC Universe and DC Comics. It looks like the original series will transition to HBO Max. If that does happen, I hope they keep this app as a comic reader like Marvel Unlimited. I don’t want to see the end of comics but I would think someone would buy the rights if Warner pulled the plug.

4 Likes

This is certainly an aspect to keep in mind.

Especially since DC Direct’s primary action figure scale has always been 7", and that’s exactly what McFarlane’s Multiverse collection is scaled to.

With his Multiverse line encompassing the entire Multiverse of DC media, DC Direct is, at this point, redundant as far as collector-based action figure production is concerned. With the recent layoffs seemingly focused on the reduction of redundancies, DC Direct sadly fit that bill.

Moving on, when it comes to statues/props/other collectibles, Warner Brothers Consumer Products derives substantially more money from licensing fees and overall revenue collection (aka “getting their cut”) by letting outside companies produce that product, rather than an in-house division, like DC Direct, that produces little to no licensing fees for WBCP to collect upon. Again, they had become redundant.

On a positive note, DC Direct will always be a hallowed era of the DC legend. They were the first “by the fans, for the fans” in-house merchandise production division of a major entertainment enterprise, and shined a brilliantly beaming, hopeful and fan-pleasing light for fans and collectors at a time when other companies (namely Hasbro) lit that light with an “effort” that gradually became lazy, short-sighted, lacking in ambition/creativity and downright laughable.

My hat goes off to Jim Fletcher, Tim Bruckner, Jeff Trojan and to everyone else at DC Direct over the past 21 years.

May The Source present them with new and fantastic opportunities worthy of their tremendous talents.

6 Likes

As a person, I’m sorry for the folks who are out of jobs. It’s also sad on the level that many of these folks were possibly in their dream job or at least a job that fulfills their artistic dreams. It’s hard to find work and harder to find work you love. Although I am employed, I know struggles with money and can’t imagine the increased anxiety that comes without an income. Hopefully they can all land on their feet.
As a fan, selfishly, I hope the announced products go through but I can easily see some of them getting cancelled as some were months away and probably barely into production considering the pandemic. I noticed the past two solicitations didn’t contain DCD offerings and assumed it was pandemic but it’s probable that this was in the works for awhile.
Again selfishly, I really would like the BTAS offerings to be completed but I doubt anything we saw that wasn’t solicited comes out (Talon, Flashpoint Batman). I reaaally wanted Talon. I would like McFarlane to pick it up but NOT in the style of his other animated figures. If they don’t match the DCD style then don’t do it.

2 Likes

I think DCD had lost their way with figures for some time. For statues, I find DCD hits a sweet spot between quality and price. There’s cheaper stuff, but not as nice, and nicer stuff but not as affordable. Hate to see them go, but if them’s the times…

As I said elsewhere, my heart goes out to those that are now out of work. I hope they all land on their feet so they can continue to take care of their families.

4 Likes

Only recently been getting into DC related collectibles but really loved the DC Direct/Collectibles stuff especially the Batman: The Adventures Continue line

1 Like

Well collectibles are GREAT but not the content we all initially fall in love with so I’m ok with whatever on the “toys” side of things