DC Daily is hyped for the new Batman Run!

Hello Batman Fans!

James Tynion IV and Tony S. Daniel’s highly anticipated Batman run is finally here and we are so excited! Are you?

We’re going to be reading Batman #86 on DC Daily and would love to hear from you! It just came out today, so if you check it out, let us know your first thoughts on this new run.

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

DC Daily

22 Likes

Very elegant how Tynion subtly retconned the infamous claim that Deathstroke uses “90% of his brain” by phrasing it in a more credible way. That’s been stuck in my craw for a long time.

4 Likes

James Tynion’s approach to the affect of architecture on crime is really fascinating. He didn’t fully get to it, but from what he’s said in interviews, Batman’s Plan is to redesign Gotham City to make Crime harder.

3 Likes

I was really excited for this and it came through. Can’t wait to see what he does with this. Tynion has done a good job with Batman in the past and I can’t wait to see what he does next.

2 Likes

One of my most anticipated reads for 2020, and so far, so VERY good!

3 Likes

I loved that he has used Deathstroke as part of his first arc in the series. I’m also intrigued to see where the story with the Joker leads, to. It was great to see the nod to The Dark Knight when each of his goons were taken out. That put a smile on my face! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just finished reading Batman #86 and although I haven’t seen any of the previous issues in this series, I absolutely loved it! It was awesome to see Deathstroke and (since I’m currently reading Birds of Prey thanks to @JeepersItsTheJamags) also Cheshire. The writing style is comfortable with a bit more modern tone, design, and even text overlay. The storyline relating to a “new Gotham” will be really interesting. I’m curious to see where it goes. @stuartbeausire1985, I also loved the nod to The Dark Knight! Thank you again for the heads up! I look forward to hearing @DCDaily discuss!

@JeepersItsTheJamags, have you checked it out yet?

2 Likes

I was really excited for the start of Tynion’s run, and he delivered 100%. I liked a lot about this issue, but the part that really got me was when Lucius reminds Bruce that Alfred’s gone :weary:

Really excited to see where the Joker plot goes from here, and I’m interested in seeing how things go with the rebuilding of Gotham. Tynion’s transition from old money to new money reminded me of The Great Gatsby, and the whole East Egg vs. West Egg thing. I’m guessing that was the intent, and I thought it was a very nice touch.

2 Likes

Is anyone up for discussing the fight between Batman and Deathstroke? Obviously, there will be spoilers.

1 Like

Blur them. Let’s do it.

1 Like

One thing Tony Daniel gets extremely right: if you have Cheshire in your story, you gotta nail that evil grin.

4 Likes

The fight between Deathstroke and Batman I was left a bit confused with. We didn’t actually see them fight, just the start, and how it ended. Batman has never beaten him before in a fight, it’s actually a big thing between the two. It looked like Slade had some darts in him, so I think there is a chance Batman didn’t beat him and he was taken out by somone else. What are your thoughts?

1 Like

I was also unsure who “won” but I think it was intended to be a cliffhanger. I never suspect that either has the upper hand because they’re both so mysterious, skilled, and highly intelligent - not to be underestimated.

Batman in his narration, mentioned that “With a few days’ planning, I’ve already defeated each of them”. He also says that Slade cut the line “just as planned” suggesting that he’s one move ahead. But Slade was calm and collected with a simple reply of “Clever”. Their scene inter-spliced with Catwoman’s situation so we never saw how they went from fighting to Batman over Deathstroke’s passed out body. I didn’t notice the darts at first, good catch! There’s also a mini-Batarang in his bad eye. Lol.

I love that Batman was dragging Deathstroke away in the end, as if he had won. Slade will likely escape and we will have a real battle soon. I’m excited to see it!

If Tynion’s run on Batman is even half as good as his writing was on his epic Detective Comics run, we’re all in for a real treat! His writing is not only full of great action sequences, suspenseful storylines, horrific concepts, and touches of humor, Tynion knows how to get to the real emotional core of our favorite DC characters. I’m super excited for this new Batman run and I’m ALL IN!!! :bat:

3 Likes

I hope we get a pay off for this, it has to be answered.

1 Like

Batman’s defeat of Deathstroke reminded me of Bale’s Batman and how quick and to the point he was at times in taking down adversaries.

I’m in agreement with @Batman0803, as Lucius reminding Batman about Alfred got to me too.

1 Like

For sure, @stuartbeausire1985!

1 Like

I really enjoyed it. It was really fun seeing Batman and Catwoman working together in ways that felt true to them both, though I’m a little worried about what will happen with the relationship if what they’re implying is true and that Selina once had something to do with these plans of “the perfect crime.”

One thing I really loved was the creative new gadgets, like the holographic shadows chasing the assassins around; but especially that crazy Bat-Plane that apparently climbs up buildings! That really is the kind of weird technological nightmare fuel that Batman should specialize in.

2 Likes

Super hyped about this run!! Unfortunately I will have to wait till next year to start reading it as I read all my comics via this service. Still really happy about James IV being on Batman :+1:t2:

3 Likes