DC Daily Comic Book Club: DOOM PATROL (1987) Issues 28 & 29

I like how Ted is seemingly looking at the reader in that panel. As if to say “Yes, the world famous Justice League, the greatest superhero team ever, has been called in to investigate a…painting. Big whoop.”

Turns out the painting is a big whoop and then some.

3 Likes

TODAY’S THE DAY (March 13th)!

DC Daily’s Comic Book Club discussed Doom Patrol (1987) issues 26-29, The Painting that Ate Paris.

To view the panel discussion, search for DC Daily Episode 126 - 3/13. Or find it at this link:
https://www.dcuniverse.com/videos/watch/dc-daily-episode-126-3-13-2019/a79507fb-7f7c-4479-9d5b-ce2f90efc8c1

The panel includes:
-Hector Navarro
-Sam Humphries
-Markeia Maccarty
-Amy Dallen
-Samm Levine

:eight_spoked_asterisk:THE PANEL’S DISCUSSION QUESTIONS ARE::eight_spoked_asterisk:

A. Did the Doom Patrol save the day? Or did they just get lucky?

B. Are the Brotherhood of Dada true-blue super-villains or are they C-Tier jobbers?

C. Is there a fate worse than being trapped inside an uninhabited painting?

D. Does the Justice League’s presence raise the stakes for this story?

What are your thoughts and responses to the panel’s questions and to the panel’s discussion?

Surprisingly they actually covered four issues instead of 2 and now they’re moving on to Hush next week, isn’t that something?

Wrapped up issue 28 last night. (I’m very late) Really great stuff. Loved seeing the Doom Patrol interacting with “real super heroes”. But can we talk about Richard Case’s art?! So so good, and i think he really got a chance to flex his muscles with this issue. I can’t stop looking at this page

2 Likes

@MMD Yes! I loved that page too. So good!

Regarding their Hush discussion, I’m bustin’ (just bustin’ Jerry!) to see that.

1 Like

@Vroom

So excited for Hush! I haven’t read it in full since in i don’t know how long! Really excited to discuss it!

Issue 29 makes me appreciate Richard Case even more. I love his city design (Is that how you say that?)

1 Like

And who could forget this horse? This page made me actually gasp. It’s so good. I want this in a frame in my home. Fantastic 2 issues here. The narration in issue 29 especially was really well done.

Sorry for the short review, lot’s of Book Club stuff to catch up on! Can’t wait to see everyone for Hush!

1 Like

@Don-El
For Doom Patrol, they are covering story arcs, so the number of issues will vary. For example, 23 & 24 was Red Jack, 25 was Dorothy, 26-29 was the painting that ate Paris.

@MattMcDonald
I agree with you 100%, the art is amazing. It’s very unique and I’ll never forget the horse panel!

@MattMcDonald Did you merge with my mind at some point? Because we like the exact same DP things that are things.

Bravo good sir =)

1 Like

JL, what I’m getting at is: next week the DC Daily Book Club is covering Hush, not these two issues of Doom Patrol. I thought part of the fun was to have our comments possibly appear during the show.

This is something I should have addressed sooner, thank you for bringing it up, @Don-El.

In the beginning, there was nothing. Then, DC Daily started a book club! We were so excited to get on the same page and really create a holistic experience. But something we did not anticipate was the wild and crazy world of production.

DC Daily has to film very far ahead of time, and their schedule changes quickly. So, the book club presidents/professors had to make a choice: time the book club with the aired episodes of DC Daily, or release the book club discussion 3 weeks in advance (with enough time to gather comments, get approval from fans, pass on to the producers, prep the hosts, film the episodes, which air over a week later). Sometimes, DC Daily films many segments of book club in one day. Sometimes, they push filming those segments if they get a new and exciting guest. Sometimes, they change the air date to also accommodate the changing tides.

In short, all involved are getting our sea legs on how to align the immediacy of the forums with the long-term planning of DC Daily’s production schedule. For now, we’re just happy to have them mention the community on the show, and work towards a time when we’re bopping to the same rhythm.

2 Likes

Thanks @Applejack and for sure I get that, for some reason I just felt like that wasn’t being explained fully here.

Consider my comment about this as my vote that we eventually get this back to the way it was where we’re prepping and reading weeks in advance for what will be on the show so that in the sense we get to be one of the virtual reviewers for a few seconds on a TV show.

If that turns out to just be a crazy fever dream to sync everything up, I understand …life is full of sad disappointments, and we move on right ? Certainly, even a reminder of what the DC Daily book club announces on Wednesday the beginning of that following week here, that’s fine as well, but it’s kind of a whole different concept.