DC Daily BTS

Have you (or your bosses) thought about creating a special “Anniversary” title card for the x00 episodes? I’m picturing something similar to the wordmark that was used on DC anniversary comic issues in the 80s.

2 Likes

@markhb You know, its funny you mention this. I was looking at Green Lantern #200 (Vol. 2), which has that anniversary banner, just the other day and the thought did cross my mind. It’s too late for Episode 200 (airs tomorrow!), but I’ll pitch it and we’ll see for 300 or beyond. Thanks!

4 Likes

Woah cool, nice to meet you then. This is awesome!!!

3 Likes

I also heard Arnold Schwarzenegger helped train Christopher Reeve a little bit too.

3 Likes

David Prowse makes sense, since it was filmed at pinewood in England.

Thanks so much, Ray.

The Pride episode was awesome, btw!!!

Please pass thanks along to everyone that made that episode possible.

3 Likes

Great stuff Ray! I’m and oldtime fan so I do recall reading that Dave Prowse fact in a magazine when I was a kid so it was fun to hear about it again . DC Daily is one of my favorite things about the service , so thanks for your efforts !

2 Likes

Congrats on your 200th episode.

5 Likes

no doubt, congratulations and thanks for an amazing production :beers:

2 Likes

Hey there everyone. First off, thank you all so very much for the kinds words in regards to our 200th episode and our Pride episode. We are trying our best here at DC Daily to give you the best show we can five days a week, and appreciate your appreciation! That being said, I thought I’d upload another picture today. (Sorry if you still can’t see it. I know @applejack and the rest of the crack team at DC Universe are working on fixing it.)

I know this is a behind-the-scenes thread, but I figured what if I showed you a picture behind-the-set? You may not realize it, but two of our three walls on set aren’t walls at all, but giant custom-made banners we stretch taunt. We then illuminate them with flourescent backlights that we have on a dimmer switch. This allows us to change the walls on occasion without having to worry about repainting, or knocking something down. The dimmer switch also allows for us to change the mood of the set depending on the segment. Thanks again for all your support everyone and stay tuned for more stuff in the coming weeks. And let me know what else you want to see around DC Daily.

orntz4.jpg

4 Likes

Wow, interesting! I didn’t realize it wasn’t a wall! Clever.

I would like to see the view from the couch! I wonder what the other half of the room looks like.

4 Likes

Interesting…you’re using flourescents on a dimmer. Are they running at 220v and using a step down transformer or are the just standard 110v?

2 Likes

What is the statue at far stage right (left from the audience viewpoint), behind the couch that the host du jour usually sits on? It looks like Destiny or Knightmare Batman or something, but we never get a good view of it.

1 Like

@DeSade-acolyte I can ask our Director of Photography, but I believe they are just standard 110s.

1 Like

@markhb That is the actual statue that was used at the end of Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises. It’s the Batman memorial statue. Maybe I’ll take a picture of that in the coming days so you guys can get a better look. I honestly almost did it today. Would you all like more of that sort of stuff on the set? How much of the background stuff do you get to see? I can take up close pics of that stuff as well.

3 Likes

Hi Ray,

Thanks for providing all of this wonderful behind the scenes material.

My thanks also go out to whomever selects the toys and collectibles for placement on the coffee and discussion tables to pair with content on a given episode.

Do you have a variety of DC toys and other merch nearby that you can easily pull out to dress the set for a given day, or does someone have the task of contacting Mattel, DC Collectibles, etc to acquire specific items?

What happens to items like those after filming is complete? Do they go back to their respective vendor or are they up for grabs to whomever wants them? I’ve always thought they’re put in storage until they’re needed for set dressing again.

Thanks again for the delightful BTS perspective and information. I look forward to reading much more from you.

3 Likes

@vroom We work very closely with DC Collectibles and try to feature a variety of items they have coming out on the show. When we are done with them, we give them back to DC Collectibles. Often times one of our producers are the ones to reach out and contact DC Collectibles in regards to what figures we’d like to feature and often DC Collectibles are happy to oblige. Some of the action figures we’ve had though actually come from Hector’s personal collection. Those go back to Hector, haha.

3 Likes

Hi Ray,
Whenever you get chance I’d love to know. Back in the 80’s & 90s dimming fluorescents had its issues. (I did some theatrical lighting design back then)
Especially with wavy type flittering. Maybe the tubes are better quality now.

@DeSade-acolyte So, I just sat down with our Director of Photography and I learned something today that I will now pass onto all of you, as I stand corrected. They are not fluorescents lights. They are LED strips in custom tubing. I then got a bit of a light show, as our DP showed me how he has each individual light programmed into an app on his iPad, from which he can change colors, light up individual lights, or dim and brighten them as necessary. So there you go.

2 Likes

@Ray Please tell Hector that he has great taste in toys :slight_smile:

Interesting lighting information too. I learned something new today.

3 Likes

@Ray no questions, just big thanks from me to you for your part in making DCDaily as entertaining and addicting as it is!

1 Like