DC Daily BTS

What’s happened to Tiffany? Also, will you be doing anymore origin episodes with famous comic book guests? My personal favorite is the Greg and Marc episode, that was brilliant! Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Ray,
I’d really like to know how the make up, costume and set design/dressers work.
Do you need to refocus lighting when doing items, like the book club that was done at a table? Which was a great change of pace, BTW. Or do you have a standard lighting “wash” for the set? If so, Is that the reason the table was high and used more barstool height chairs, so the lighting wouldn’t need to be refocused?
It looks like you use a standard 3 camera setup. Is that accurate?

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: Thank you for sharing, Ray!

4 Likes

I just want to give my heartfelt thanks to all who worked on the DC Pride episode. That was so beautiful to watch, especially that recap of DC’s rich history of queer characters. It was so well done and emotional. Thank you! :purple_heart::rainbow:

10 Likes

Where is Markeia McCarty? It’s rare and beautiful to see a fellow female blerd discussing comics, tv, movies and all things DC pleases bring her back representation matters :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

This is awesome! I’m glad you posted this Ray!

3 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte That’s a great question. We have an amazing staff of hair, make-up, and wardrobe people. They work closely with the cast to come up with a look and style. We also had an amazing costume designer who came in specifically for the Halloween episode. For the set, we have one of the best set designers in the biz that myself and the other writers/producers work closely with, along with the amazing crew at the WB archives, to come up with a look for the set. We usually try to mix things up on the set with semi-regularity depending on what’s available and what we’ll be covering in the coming weeks of DC Daily. As for the lights, we adjust them when we go to the new Book Club table segment. The ones that light the set don’t need to be adjusted typically, however. Since most of the shows are recorded at the couch, our crack crew can move and set any lights that are moved for other segments pretty quickly at this point. Also, we actually use five cameras for DC Daily, and have even used a sixth for special shows like the live show, or the board game show from a few weeks ago. Not all these cameras are manned, however, like the overhead cam from the board game episode.

2 Likes

@HubCityQuestion Yes, I know a lot of older episodes have been removed from the service. What I meant is that we have external harddrives with all the episodes still in tact. I’m not sure about uploading individual segments from these past episodes back to the service.

3 Likes

@stuartbeausire1985.4882 Tiffany is still a beloved member of the DC Daily family. She’s been very busy with her acting career (which we’re very happy for her!) and we haven’t been able to get our schedules to align. But trust me, Tiffany will always have a spot on the DC Daily couch. We just need to get times to align and hope to have her back sooner rather than later. As for comic origins pieces, we hope to do more of those in the future, too. But again, a lot has to do with scheduling and availability.

4 Likes

@SheSoBlerdy We are going to have Markeia back on the couch again shortly. And we wholeheartedly agree representation matters.

3 Likes

Hi Ray,
Thanks so much for the info.
From an editing standpoint how much is done during the recording (cue camera 2, cue camera 4,etc) in the booth, and how much post production editing? Obviously the cutaways to reports, what’s happening on DC, etc are all post processed.

2 Likes

How do you guys decide which host to put on the DC Daily couch? I assume availability is obviously part of it, but is it just that, do the host interest and knowledge come into play?

3 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte At first we used to do a fair amount in post, but we’ve gotten better over the months in using the “line-cut”, where we cut to cameras on the fly. Sometimes we’ll change a shot in post, but less so lately. It’s a credit to our switcher/technical director. And yeah, all packages and graphics are added in post-production.

3 Likes

@DanTheManOne1 There’s a bit of a process when deciding on hosts. Obviously, availability is big, but once we figure out who is coming in, many other factors play a role. I’d like to think we have a great relationship with our hosts and we talk to them often when the cameras aren’t rolling. We’ve learned who prefers what sorts of content or characters, and try our best to accomodate and play to people’s strengths.

5 Likes

When’s that handsome rogue Alex Jaffe coming back to quiz the panel?

3 Likes

@HubCityQuestion When we feel Hector and Humphries have studied enough to stand a chance. :wink:

2 Likes

What’s the most surprising bit of DC trivia you’ve learned since DC DAILY has started?

2 Likes

Have you got a favorite episode you recommend we watch?

2 Likes

@JoshuaLapinBertone That’s a tough one. I don’t know if there’s anything that’s been super-surprising, but I have a fun one I came across in my research of 1978’s Superman The Movie for DC Universe Presents (fun fact: I also wrote most of the DC Universe Presents here on the service). David Prowse, better known as the man inside the Darth Vader suit in Star Wars, helped trained Christopher Reeve and get him into shape for the role of Superman. Prowse was a well-known fitness guru at the time, and even wrote his own book on the subject before Empire Strikes Back started filming.

4 Likes

@Misfit I am selfishly going to say the Halloween episode (episode 34) because I got to dress up as the Penguin and ride in the Batman Returns Duckmobile, haha. Other than that, episode 100 with Marv Wolfman is a favorite for sure. Marv is an amazing guy and was wonderful to talk to before and after taping.

4 Likes