DC Community Roll Call: Tell Us About Yourself!

Detroit, Michigan.

:thinking:What or who got you into comics?

Growing up as a kid watching Super Friends every Saturday morning. And of course reruns of the 1960s Batman TV series. That was my gateway.

:thinking:Do you have a favorite DC character, either superhero or villain?

Note: As evidenced by the many edits since joining the community, I’m brought to a very pretty dilemma when it comes to choosing a favorite character.

At current, my favorite DC character, albeit non-comic based but comic-inspired, the nun with a gun, Angela Abar.

Sister Night from HBO’s Watchmen.

Watchmen: Sister Night (Character Trailer) | HBO

You do not want to f*ck with Sister Night.

Watchmen: Who is Angela Abar? | HBO

Regina King’s masterful Emmy Award-winning performance as Angela Abar (aka Sister Night) is everything we need it to be: fierce, poised, heartfelt. Get to know Watchmen’s nun with a gun.

Watchmen: Dave Gibbons Illustration (Promo) | HBO

“In the TV series, the one who really speaks to me is Sister Night. She’s a wonderful character and a great costume. It’s got such nice flowing lines and nice areas of solid black. The telling little details like the sheriff’s badge and the crucifix. She was the character that I felt most drawn to draw.”
-Dave Gibbons

As Sister Night with Dave Gibbons, she was the sole draw for me to the series. I really enjoyed her character. And my god, that costume. Like Dave Gibbons said, it’s so great.

It’s my favorite “super-hero” costume.

Maybe one day DC Comics will do something with her; maybe even get Dave Gibbons as the cover artist.

Of course, I would be remiss… John Stewart, my eternal favorite DC Comics character.

And more the concept than the actual character, and more specifically, John Stewart from GREEN LANTERN #87.

A favorite moment of John Stewart only involves him indirectly.

From issue #1 of John Ridley’s THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE.

First early on…

And then later…

As an aside, I think John Ridley’s THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE is great. It’s already my all-time favorite comic series.

DC’s Black Label in general has been a godsend, it’s what got me back into comics after being an off and on reader for decades.

:thinking:What comic, TV show, or movie do you recommend to people who have never read comics before?

For a TV show, I would probably say the aforementioned HBO’s Watchmen series, because I feel it stands well on it’s own without the viewer having to have read the WATCHMEN comic. And I feel safe in saying this because I have yet to read WATCHMEN myself, even though sixteen year-old me vividly remembers seeing the issues on the shelves in the comic shop when they were originally released.

And speaking of comics, and I guess by extension, but Tom King’s RORSCHACH as a comic follow-up or continuation of the HBO Watchmen series is what I would also recommend.

HBO’s Watchmen also happens to be by far my favorite comic book-related TV series, so bias on bias on bias. :blush:

It’s one of my favorite HBO series period, of any genre.

:thinking:What’s your perfect casting of your favorite character?

Of course I feel that HBO’s Watchmen casting is fine as is…

If Warner Bros. were to ever do a John Stewart Green Lantern project, then John David Washington would be my choice to play John Stewart.

Tenet is my favorite Christopher Nolan film, and I liked John David Washington in that, so that’s why I like him for John Stewart.

:thinking:What are some of your other, non-DC interests?

Jazz (Ambrose Akinmusire, Miles Davis).

Contemporary Classical and Classical (Max Richter, Joep Beving, Lang Lang, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart).

Modern and Contemporary Art (Jacob Lawrence, Romare Bearden, Kara Walker, Jean-Michel Basquiat, and Andy Warhol to name a few).

See also: Black Art: In the Absence of Light

And other pretentious things.

Also, running. I ran the 1600m (the mile) in high school and college, and now run marathons.

:thinking:Do you accept pineapple on your pizza?

Sure. Vegan cheese and pineapple. Nice and simple

7 Likes