DC Community December Book Club--Justice League Endless Winter #1!

The weather outside is frightful…but that won’t stop the Justice League!

As the year comes to a close, it’s time for our final DC Community Book Club of 2023! To wrap up a great year, we’ll be reading Justice League: Endless Winter #1! When the Frost King threatens the globe with an army at his command, the Justice League is the only defense against devastation.

Grab you winter jacket and join the DC Community Book Club for this massive crossover event starting December 18! And remember, Justice League: Endless Winter #1 will be free to read all week long, so head over to DCUI and get reading!

Justice League: Endless Winter Discussion Questions
  1. In the early pages of this issue, The Flash reflects on family and work-life balance. How would you handle work-life balance if you were a member of the Justice League? Do you think dealing with your duties and your personal life would be manageable?

2. Why do you think Superman feels “powerless” at times? Are his feelings valid, despite being Superman?

3. What do you think Jefferson means on page 17 (on DCUI) when he responds to Barry with “it’s what I’ve got”? What is the takeaway from that comment?

4. Upon being freed, the Ice King refers to members of the Justice League as “Dokkalfar”. What does this imply about the Ice King’s origins?

Don’t forget! The DC Community Book Club also comes with some sweet digital perks. Check out the wallpapers and bookmarks down below!

Desktop Wallpapers
Mobile Wallpapers
11 Likes

So cool! One of the few back to basics events I really enjoyed. Wish there were more like it.

7 Likes

Yes! I LOVED this event when it came out. Can’t wait to revisit it with the DC Community December Book Club!

4 Likes

Discussion questions are now live! Join the conversation! :thumbs_up_batman:

5 Likes

My duties are dependable on my responsibilities. If I’m a flash I might have to sacrifice down time with family if it meant saving people from a superhero-villain fight or a supernatural blizzard in this case.

Superman can’t always win be prepared for every scenario and perhaps the consequences from revealing his secret identity to the world. Perhaps he feels like he has to do so much and it won’t be enough

To be with family. It’s important to him even with the challenges that come with being a superhero and a single father. I don’t expect he would say his life is easy or the best, but it’s the best possible one and it’s the one he’s got.

Dokkalfar in Norse mythology are mystical beings, and in this case they the villainous dark elves. Who are the forces of darkness and as Ice King pointed out. Tricksters. Ice king sees in the place of the Justice League, viking prince, Black Adam, and Hipotayla. These team of powerful magical heroes who are in a way the ancient Justice League who might have succeeded in stopping him as well as tricking him with a promise. Something bad happen and Ice King wants vengeance.

3 Likes

My lord…how is it already December 18th?!? I literally saw these questions and thought, “These aren’t supposed to come out until December 18th!” Then I looked at my calendar. Oof!

Looking forward to digging into these later tonight!

4 Likes

I want to start there because this is something I think about a lot when reading comics and imagine being in this world. I don’t think it would be possible for me to have a work/life balance as a superhero because there would never be an end to people in need. I’d feel selfish if I stopped and enjoyed a night out with friends, a romantic meal with my partner, took in a ballgame or just relaxed for the afternoon. Every second I sat there not helping people would be a second of people suffering that I could have prevented. That would torture me.

I think it would be much easier to be someone like Batman who does not have powers because then you could rest knowing you did everything you could. He can’t fly around the world in seconds like Superman, The Flash or Green Lantern. He can’t use his incredible strength to literally move mountains like Superman or Wonder Woman. He can’t stop biological horrors like Aquaman. He does what he can, and does far more than anyone could expect, but at the end of the day he can go home and have Alfred prepare him a hot bath and a hot cocoa knowing he did what he could.

3 Likes

W1

• In the early pages of this issue, The Flash reflects on family and work-life balance. How would you handle work-life balance if you were a member of the Justice League? Do you think dealing with your duties and your personal life would be manageable?

It definitely a challenge. I don’t really think a good balance is achievable and trying doing so will only hurt more. I think it just best to take it a day at a time. Try to balance in that day. If someone’s in danger how big is the threat. Would you help. Do other heroes hit it handled. And of course just talking with family and friends if it does get to much.

• Why do you think Superman feels “powerless” at times? Are his feelings valid, despite being Superman?

He’s just one guy. He can’t do everything even being super bit he throws that pressure of having to do everything to save everyone on himself giving him the feeling. There are definitely valid. I’d be more worried if he didn’t and thought he could do anything.

• What do you think Jefferson means on page 17 (on DCUI) when he responds to Barry with “it’s what I’ve got”? What is the takeaway from that comment?

Sometimes you have to work with what you got work with you have and Jeff it’s his family. He has a family that understands the job and he tries to make the most of every moment and make time when he can. In the end the takeaway I’d say is you can’t always choose the situation you’ll be in and what you have but making the best of it can sometimes be all you need.

• Upon being freed, the Ice King refers to members of the Justice League as “Dokkalfar”. What does this imply about the Ice King’s origins?

Mostly likely has Norse origins and the Dokkalfar May have been enemies of him or heroes of the past. Or simply he’s just insulting them :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes
  1. for one thing, I wouldn’t rush off literally every time I here a siren. Most superheroes would find a family-work-superhero life balance pretty easy if they didn’t treat every bad thing that happens within ear shot as something only they can help with (especially of they have super hearing!)
  2. Superman’s struggle is that he could, depending on how powerful the writer thinks he is, pretty easily change the course of all human history. He would obviously try to change it for the better, but only supervillains try to change the world by force. Every decision he makes comes with the question “I am just doing what I can to help or am I forcing my will on the human race?” Barry specifically asks about work-family balance, but I think it’s that balance that paralyzes the man of steel.
  3. It reminds me of a sentiment I learned through therapy that what you have is all you can give. Barry and Jefferson’s whole conversation is about doing everything you can and not hating yourself for not doing more. Give what is is “you’ve got”.
  4. I did cheat and Google it, but I called Norse mythology right away!
2 Likes