DC Comics VS Marvel

What rip-off is your most enjoyed/hated character rip-off
(Marvel->Dc or Dc->Marvel)

1 Like

I feel like Deadpool is a combo Harley and Slade.

2 Likes

Squadron Supreme and Justice League

4 Likes

First, let’s be fair there is plenty of in-universe copying. Take Robin and Robin. Or Spider-man and Spider-man. That said:

Whizzer and Flash (Jay Garrick)
Quicksilver and Flash (one of the ones that isn’t Jay Garrick)

1 Like

Honest to god, I´ve never heard of these people, and I feel like there is probably a reason for that.

1 Like

Of course. I am not trying to insult either. DC copies Marvel and visa versa. That’s part of being in the same business field. I just want to hear some interesting ones. In universe copying, though, isn a problem at all. It’s like plagarizing your own essay. You might look cheap, but who really cares?

1 Like

I dunno. I feel like more of he’s more like if Ambush Bug had the abilities of Slade.

2 Likes

Credit where it’s due: Aquaman is kind of a ripoff of Namor, the Submariner. And while Catwoman predates Black Cat significantly, Selina was definitively reshaped in Felicia’s image.

5 Likes

I must commend your integrity. most would see this as a time to degrade the competition, whereas you admitted the failings of ourselves. good job, sir.
Postscript: I assume you are a man just because you use the Vic Sage Question as your profile pic, instead of Renee Montoya. If I assumed wrong I do apologize.

1 Like

If we are talking about inspirations for characters. Stan Lee gave Thor’s hammer the ability to fly so that Thor wouldn’t just fly like Superman. He always hated how Superman used to fly without any means to do so.

1 Like

I like the sciece+comics ideas. Like that Krpton is a denser world: explaining his invulnerability, Krypton has lighter gravity: explaining his speed and ability to leap, He has powerful lungs: cold breath. Get rid of flight and ignore heat vision and he makes perfect sense…ish!

3 Likes

@Maxie_Spitallick Not really a rip-off, but the Imperial Guard was based on the Legion of Superheroes. Dave Cockrum, who designed the updated costumes for the Legion was working on X-Men and did a homage to the Legion and the Legion was supposed to do an X-Men homage but that part never happened.

1 Like

How bout how stan lee getting the X-men idea from Doom Patrol and releasing it’s first issue only 4 months after Doom Patrols first issue came out.

2 Likes

If we are talking ripoffs. Let’s not forget one of Marvel’s biggest insults to DC. Namely Hyperion. Who has a weakness to the sun turning blue. Which they cleverly slip into episodes of that dumb Avengers Assemble tv show.

1 Like

If these characters look slightly familiar, they should.

1 Like

Good one

No kidding. That looks like if the JL let a Make-a-wish kid design their costumes for a day.

1 Like

Let’s not forget Sentry, another Superman send-up from the competition.

2 Likes

Dude, I love the LEGO question profile pic.

1 Like

That’s the trend right now. Might as well raise awareness that The Question is in a video game.

3 Likes