DC Comics' Proposed "5G" Initiative: What are Your Thoughts?

Ooh that sounds interesting! Was that in the book series or do you mean just in general?

1 Like

I’m fairly interested in knowing how the generations will work. If one recalls, Multiversity opened up the 52 worlds orrery, then Convergence unlocked multiple editions/timelines, and Rebirth allowed classical elements to overtake the New52 Versions. IN a sense, 5G(or Generations) itself allows all of these things to exist and be played with.

Rather than the “Fantasy-Kitchen Sink” that [the other company] is, DC is creating spaces for the things fans love; cosmic, ground-level, etc, and continuity for those interested in progression of the characters. Currently, it seems APEX LEX and the Year of the Villain are proposing that change is necessary across the line. In order to be better, we must be able to tell stories past nostalgia without sacrificing the integrity of the line.

I’m paraphrasing a lot here, but feel free to add discourse on this. Definitely looking forward to generations, and if any of the admins have a line into the offices, tell DC they have their J. Hickman, right here. :wink: :wink: :wink:

3 Likes

Do you remember the time Jonathon Kent took over …was it Action Comics? Superman itself featured the “World Without Superman” story line. It was interesting. In manga sometimes they will allow a new character to take over the line for a brief moment… I find these concepts interesting.

2 Likes

Exactly! And it’s just a POSSIBLE future, it leaves so much open!!!

2 Likes

I don’t know about this. You can’t just give away the mantle of the bat to someone that’s not nightwing!

4 Likes

That is a great point and something I completely forgot to mention in my original post! I am really looking forward to seeing the new continuity timeline DiDio has been talking about! I’m a little OCD when it comes to what has and hasn’t happened and the timing of everything, so having a solid point of reference is going to be very nice! I think Rebirth was the best reboot we could have asked for, and I am heartbroken Geoff Johns didn’t get to finish what he started with that relaunch. I think it could have been something truly spectacular. But unlike Supes or Flash we can’t change the past. So I hope this 5G will bring us all the excitement and greatness we’ve come to expect from DC. I’m the first to admit that I’m a sucker for nostalgia, but I’ve seen nostalgia fused with fresh ideas that make an AWESOME blend (like DC Rebirth) and I hope hope hope that we get more of this with the upcoming events.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reminding me of the other aspects of 5G!

4 Likes

I did hear about that occurring in the World without Superman arc, but I never read Jonathan Kent taking over as Superman… You said that was in Action Comcis?
Anywho, I think it’s fantastic when comics (and manga though I am not an expert in that field) try new things! I just don’t want DC to fix something that isn’t broken.

Thanks again for the conversation!

Just in general, i felt that bruce was the point of view for the first couple of episodes, he had doubts about terry just like me and when Bruce accepted terry i felt it was earned.

2 Likes

I felt the same way man!! Once Bruce had accepted Terry, I was sold. If 5G can pull off the same affect, that would be brilliant!!

1 Like

Yeah! I think if they did end up revealing the whole 5G replacement rumors were just a possible future, it would be interesting, though I think most of people might be frustrated that spent money and it turned out to just be a possible future. What do you think?

1 Like

Yeah I have my doubts about it too!! I think Dick Grayson made an excellent Batman in Morrison’s run, but I do think I prefer him as his own charter and staying Nightwing (NOT Ric Grayson I might add). But I think maybe Tim Drake would make an EPIC Batman!

Thanks for the input!

2 Likes

Thank you for bring this up. I do not think that it would be a good idea to replace our beloved characters. There is room for new expansion, specifically with Legion of Super-Heroes taking off soon. See on DC Comics Website

3 Likes

It was my pleasure!! Thank you (and everyone who’s responded!) for taking part in this discussion! I agree, I don’t think this is the best route for DC to take, at least if the rumors we’ve heard so far are true (I just heard Bendis is going to have Superman reveal his identity to the world in December, which is DUUUUMB!!!) Oh yeah, the Legion of Super-Heroes would be a great place for them to experiment with new characters!

3 Likes

It was only 4 years ago that Superman’s identity was outted and Gordon was Batman. Kyle, Wally, and Connor have lost the spotlight they once had, replaced by the people they replaced. I’m all for bringing in the next generation of heroes because I think legacy helps set DC apart, but I hope that the powers that be stand by them. I’ve been reading long enough that I think Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman should be constants, with everyone else being a legacy hero, but once we start worrying about aging, that all goes out the window.

3 Likes

I remember that!! And also when Nightwing’s identity was outed. I think it can make for an interesting story when this happens to heroes, but I just don’t trust Bendis to do it right. And I think Kyle, Wally, and Connor should all have their rightful place returned to them, but maybe not in a way that usurps the original heroes. I also love the legacy aspect of DC, I just wish there was a way we could get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for you thoughts!

2 Likes

I also like the idea of the Trinity remaining constant, while the other heroes rotate mantles. But your right, once aging and everything starts to come into play we lose s lot of the possibilities.

1 Like

Gotta say I’m not impressed with any of the rumors for the 5G phase

2 Likes

I definitely have my doubts too. I don’t mind DC trying new things or really even introducing new characters that might replace the established ones for a while, just as long as it’s done right. My concern is that 5G will be the opposite of “done right”.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

1 Like

Welcome to DC Comics for the last eight years.

2 Likes

Hahaha yep pretty much. Though I did really enjoy Peter J. Tomasi’s work in Rebirth!!

2 Likes