DC Comics in the 2000s

This is arguably the strongest decade DC’s ever had. Look back at the creative teams they had…

ARTISTS: Jim Lee, Michael Turner, Ed McGuniess, Alex Ross, ETC

WRITERS: Geoff Johns, Jeph Loeb, Grant Morrison, Judd Winnick,Greg Rucka, Kurt Busiek, ETC.

Notable Titles: Infinite Crisis, Teen Titans (Johns run), Justice Society (Johns run), The Outsiders

I know I missed a bunch so help me fill in the blanks tell me what’re some of your favorite creators and books from the 2000s.

1 Like

Superman/Batman! It’s the book that got me back into comics after a three year break. Love that series, especially the Loeb run and the Supergirl arc to boot. JSA Classified introduced me to Power Girl and the post-IC Justice League of America was solid too.

1 Like

The Sinestro Corps War had me eager for more. My favorite GL story ever.

1 Like

Ah all of those are fantastic. Superman/Batman (The Supergirl Saga) got me back into comics after a long hiatus as well.

Justice was a solid mini. I really loved the lead-up to Infinite Crisis too. 2005 was a solid year for DC. One of my favorites.

1 Like

Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer and Rags Morales

1 Like

Identity Crisis often gets a bad wrap and I can understand why. But I loved it. Perfectly written, hitting on all emotional cylinders.

1 Like

Although many would disagree, but I really enjoy Tom King’s run on Batman.

Ed Brubaker was great too

Also for titles, Gotham Central and 52

1 Like

@emaraldlantern we’re talking about last decade DC.

For some reason I missed out on Gotham Central. I need to go back and get those trades.

The first 12 issues of Gotham Central are on Comixology Unlimited if you have it. Hopefully it gets added here before too long (I would have thought now would be a good time anyway with the last season of Gotham just starting)

UNDER THE REDHOOD

1 Like

52 is also a masterwork from that decade. Looked forward to it every week.

1 Like

Batman Hush

1 Like

Summer of 2001 is when I got back into comics after reading them casually as a kid and a bit more seriously as a teenager. I wasn’t sure where to start, but I vaguely remembered liking Green Lantern so I picked up the current issue of his series.

I was very surprised to see Green Lantern wasn’t Hal Jordan anymore, had a different costume, and wasn’t part of the GLC. So I picked up a couple of early Kyle Rayner trades to get the backstory, one of which costarred Connor Hawke – the new Green Arrow. So that sent me down a rabbit hole learning about how he came to be Green Arrow, and I bought a bunch of back issues of his series. But by this time Kevin Smith had just brought Oliver Queen back to life, so I started buying Green Arrow monthly. Eventually I added Flash and JSA by Geoff Johns, Supergirl by Peter David, and a bunch of other titles to my pull list. I was all in on DC, and I still am.

So for me, the 2000s are the most important decade of DC Comics because that’s when my fandom really started.

1 Like

Grant Morrison’s All Star Superman, Batman, Final Crisis; Superman Birthright; and Geoff John’s JSA and The Flash runs were the stand outs for me.

1 Like

All Star Superman
JLA: Tower of Babel
DC The New Frontier
Superman: Red Son
Superman: Birthright
Batman: No Man’s Land
Green Arrow: Year One & Quiver
WW: The Hiketeia
Flash: Blood will Run
Batman: The Black Mirror
Final Crisis