DC Comic Book Art Connoisseurs Club

Welcome to the [DC Comic Book Art Connoisseurs Club]!

Every once in a while we post a topic for the group to post images about and to avidly discuss concerning specific uniquely styled and characterized DC Comic Book artwork from 80 years ago to present-day! We also occasionally chat about DC comic book art by direct message here on DC Universe (Infinite).

To be considered for inclusion in this high-brow group, click here: Dc comic book art connoisseurs - DC Community

For examples of possible DC Artwork topics for discussion, voting and other fun activites, look no further than: The [DC Comic Book Art Connoisseurs Club] Archives / Art Museum!!! (otherwise known as the Archive Room for previous activities and postings!)

Look for these themes coming up every now and then here in DC Comics Community as well:

• “Wild and Wacky Covers of the 50’s and 60’s”

• “Comic Book Covers Featuring a Stark Single-Color Background”

• Comics drawn by comic book artists who have a unique voice and style, such as Wally Wood or Neal Adams

• Artwork typical of various time periods, like the DC House Style of the early ‘60s

• We occasionally run a week for posting any original DC artwork folks may possess to post for the rest of us to enjoy!

We will also have a virtual private Club Room (a group message) where we can discuss “live” what it is that gets us jazzed concerning that week’s DC Comic Book Art topic. By joining this exclusive Club, you will be able to get automatic notifications of club activities and then let your passion for all things DC Comic Book Art be heard during our twice a month discussion.

Unique to this club, we will also have occasional scavenger hunts, where club members race to post hard to find examples of whatever it is the defined treasure is. An example from the past would be a Wallace Wood scavenger hunt in the DCU Digital Library!

Who Should Join?

If you are someone who has been inspired by the 8 decades of DC comic book art and consider yourself a fellow Connoisseur with refined knowledgeable comic book artwork tastes, or hope to someday attain this high level of comic book reader sophistication, then this is the club for you! We ask that the following qualifications be met, just to make sure you are able to participate in the Club to the best of your ability:

• You are Clearance Level 1 (so that you have the ability to edit Wikis)

• You are in good standing in the Community

• You have access to the Example Topic Posting dictionary

• You are a subscriber of DC Universe, or have access to the content we will be making examples of elsewhere

When We Meet

The second and fourth Thursday of every month of the year from 10:00am-12:00pm PST, you can find a new example topic posted in the Community Events section. By being a member of the DC Comic Book Art Connoisseurs Club, you will be notified immediately to make sure you don’t miss one second of hand-drawn and four-color wonder! Simply add “dc-art” as a tag to “Watching First Post” under Notifications / Tags in your personal Summary area.

If you’re a fan of any of the exceptional artwork from over the past 80 years of DC Comics being published, then this is the club for you.

Also, feel free to reach out directly to me if you would like to join or have any questions whatsoever!

The Fans of DC Universe Podcast celebrates DC Comics in a big way, past and present, with the artwork coming up in these conversations, so consider subscribing if you like to listen to 4 (rotating) DC Universe members discuss all things DC!

Past iterations of DC Comic Book Art Connoisseurs before Community 2.0 that have inspired this biweekly club that make a fun review:

The Wild and Wacky DC Comics Covers of the 50’s and 60’s Fan Club Starts Here!!

Comic Book Covers Featuring a Stark Single Color Background Fan Clubhouse!!!

Also, be sure to bookmark and check out our “sister” art celebration posts:

@MisfitH 's comic book art topic:
A DC Comic Cover A Day!

@biff_pow 's Batmobile art topic:
Reading comics? Spot a Batmobile? Post it here!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard! How’s the football season going for you? I may have to see a counselor with the way the Bills are playing…

1 Like

Uh-Oh— something went wrong with Mal and Karen!

How do you feel about Don Heck, Don-El? Sometimes, I find his work to be quite good to wonderful, or a downright nightmare-- depending on the book!

1 Like

@MisfitH As a child, I dreaded when Don Heck would take over a comic ( like Iron Man). Now that I’m a much much much older adult, I actually appreciate his style as being mature and accurate.

oo ooo I sense a scavenger hunt in the war and horror here in the near future for Mr. Heck!

why you’re not kidding, 50s Heck on war is incredible!!!

1 Like

I wonder if Heck ever did Blackhawk? I am diving in now…

1 Like

Characters created by Don Heck

1 Like

In the 1970’s Don Heck Moved to DC Comics where he co-created Steel, the Indestructible Man with writer Gerry Conway. He also worked on a number of other famous DC titles such as Wonder Woman, The Flash and The Justice League of America. In addition to his work for DC, Heck penciled three issues of H. P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu for Millennium Publications.

1 Like

1 Like

(this one very much reminds me of his Marvel work, looks like some Iron Man / Mandarin fight scene)

1 Like

Wow, all this fun …uh, I just realized the Fourth Thursday was …a few days ago…for some reason I was thinking it was next week, Halloween… oppssie… well, look at our very first topic. I’ll make it official now.

1 Like

This month’s art reflection has been posted!

The next Club activity will be posted by Thursday February 18th 2021!