[DC Comic Book Art Connoisseurs Club] The Art of Green Lantern Nov 28 - Dec 11

Final Night for Green Lantern art submissions…

1 Like

The here’s a few more:

George Perez

Mike Grell with zip-a-tone

2 Likes

I wonder what they do to get that fantastic look of the city window lights in the background?

1 Like

I don’t know if it is just detail work or using a photo-stat as a background.

Here’s a similar cityscape from Jon Sable.

1 Like

I think Jon Sable is some of the best Mike Grell artwork out there.

1 Like

:100:That was his masterpiece! Both art and writing. I always thought his Green Arrow was Jon Sable with a bow.

My wife enjoyed reading it as well back when it was coming out. It definitely came off as not for kids, as being something mature and I don’t mean that in the R rating sense, I mean that in the sense of the tone of it and themes and concerns.

1 Like

I still own a stack of Warlord comics by Grell, but frankly the way people are costumed, the setting excetera …you just aren’t drawn in like you are with the Jon Sable stories.

1 Like

I loved Warlord and everything Mike has done (StarSlayer, Shaman’s Tears, Green Arrow, Legion), but Sable is the Pinnacle! His origin story reminds me of Robert Ruark’s African Hunter novels and his later life is good spy adventure. I always liked his attention to detail (he knows his firearms and cars) and intelligent/adult themes. Like you said, not R-rated, but well written for an adult audience.

1 Like

I’ll have to remember to do a Mike Grell celebration in the months to come!

As we close out the Lantern meditation, here’s another cover that I really like from a series I really enjoyed during New 52… I hope I didn’t order post this. The art, the color and that wonderful stark white background …it’s really a powerful combination!

1 Like