DC Characters Whose Names You Can’t Say Correctly

I have a friend, a fellow educator, who says, “ supposebly” and thinks it’s correct. Thanks Joey from Friends.

4 Likes

I’ve struggled with Mxyzptlk since I could read. I’ve heard Ra’s pronounced two ways forever, and I am still not sure. Though Arabic would be “Raz”, so I usually roll with that.

Oh, and Ma’alefa’ak.

7 Likes

I’ve also heard it rhyme with “pierce.” Also, is it a long or short “i?” I say it more “SEAR-see” than “SIR-see.”

And related (though not technically a character name), how 'bout Aeaea, huh?

3 Likes

Complicated but I’ll just say yes.

I just realized I’d been saying “Ma lef a lek” even though there is only one “l.” I know how it is pronounced “Mal ef fak” (not the two "f"s) but that obviously didn’t stop me.

1 Like

Vyndktvx And Ms. Gsptlsnz

3 Likes

Just started reading Catwoman and there’s a detective named Sam Yilmaz. It set in a primarily Spanish Town so I think it might be (eeyll-maz) but my mind keeps going for the (Yil-maz).

2 Likes

Well, she is one of the reincarnations of Hawkgirl, so yeah, technically a superhero, too.

3 Likes

Well, I went with the title which just says DC Characters…but, thinking about it, if Batman is considered a superhero, why not the old west folk?

5 Likes

Was Gaea mentioned? I am not sure if it is Guy-a or Gay-a. For all I know, it is GHEE-a (yes, as in the clarified butter). I am sticking with the hard G vs soft.

How I roll:
Soft C’s on Circe (yes, both)
hard J on Juggernaut
I’ve only recently learned Mix-y-as-PIT-lick (i have to remember hearing it in Howie Mandel’s voice from L&C:TAS)
hip-POL-y-ta (though i prefer the -lytE spelling)
and last but not least: darkSIDE.

2 Likes

Where do you stand on Victor Fries?

3 Likes

I thought Gotham handled it best with Bullock and Mrs Fries

2 Likes

Mr Mxysptlk

Mrs. Nyxly

Nyxlygsptlnz

Nzykmulk

Vyndktvx

Brpxz

Ozymandias. Is the 'Y" silent? I haven’t watched the movie or the hbo show in a while.

2 Likes

Lucky you. Not only can I not pronounce it out loud, I have to try not to have a stroke when I see it written out.

2 Likes

Who? What? When? Where? How? Why? Are these characters? :flushed:

These look like asset names for video game files!

1 Like

How about Arion, the Lord of Atlantis? He’s admittedly a minor DC character, but is his named pronounced “Ahr-ion” or “Air-ion”?

1 Like

Family of Mr Mxiepplyptlk

Close enough

2 Likes