DC Characters Whose Names You Can’t Say Correctly

Are there any superheroes/villains whose names you can’t seem to get out of your mouth without a production? To be clear, this isn’t a “ray sh” vs “raz” (as in, Ra’s al Ghul) this is straight up can’t get it out of your pronounce it.

For example I can say “Mxyzptlk” and “Mxyztplk” correctly backwards and forwards but can’t say “Rorschach” to save my life. I say “ror shark” even though I know it’s “ror shak.”

8 Likes

I have a friend who can’t say Cinnamon. It always comes out cinnamimenen.

9 Likes

Is cinnamon a superhero? (I have a friend that says that too)

5 Likes

She’s a DC Western Hero. I think she’s super.

8 Likes

Who knew? I’ll do some research!

4 Likes

14 Likes

Darkseid. I know if it pronounced Dark side, but I keep thinking Dark seed.

7 Likes

Themyscira.

I know what it should be, but if talking on the fly, I know it’s come out as them-mascara many a time.

6 Likes

I do the same @Bullcan and @CynicalPink!

5 Likes

Cause them amazonians always look like they’re wearing mascara. It makes perfect sense.

5 Likes

Which is weird because they live on a tiny island that shouldn’t even be able to produce enough food, much less a limitless supply of mascara, soap, swords, shields, spears, bows, fire wood, clothing, rope, water, horses, etc. hm… I may be over thinking this.

5 Likes

It was created by the gods. They get stuff.

How is Hippolyta pronounced anyway?

6 Likes

Names like that are fair game in my opinion. If it starts with “H” and sounds like “hippo la-tee-da” you’re good.

6 Likes

That is definitely how I’m pronouncing it from now on

5 Likes

Circe anyone? Are they hard c’s or soft c’s? I pronounce it with soft c’s (ie SIR-SEE), but I think that I’ve heard some people say it should be with hard c’s (ie KEER-KEE).

Also, there’s the infamous Dr. Fries that I feel I should mention. Maybe I should ask @HubCityQuestion about that one on his thread, if he hasn’t gotten that one yet. Some pronounce it as “Freeze”, and others pronounce it as “Frise”. Not sure how I pronounce it to be honest.

4 Likes

I say soft "c"s and Fries as in the French kind and assume I am wrong on the French count and right on the other.

I don’t often talk to other nerds so I have only been challenged on pronunciation twice (Sinestro, which I said “Sinister-o” and Juggernaut (marvel villain) which I was actually saying correctly.)

6 Likes

How did someone think you were saying Juggernaut wrong? :joy: That one seems pretty straight forward to me.

4 Likes

They thought it was “yug er naught.” They still sometimes argue with me, even after I looked it up on multiple sources.

5 Likes

Huh, interesting. I could see where you could pronounce it that way, but I would never be so bold to say that’s how it should be pronounced. Especially since juggernaut is a word anyway that’s pronounced how it’s spelled.

4 Likes

Is your friend German? Jagermeister is pronounced Yea-Grrr-Mice-Tur. I remember meeting a drunk guy in Germany talking about Miami Wice (Vice) and is name was Verner (Werner) and my American friends couldn’t figure out what he was saying. I figured it out quickly because I had family of Eastern European descent so I was used to strong accents.

4 Likes