DC Character Recommended Reading Lists

Do you have one for Deathstroke??? Just wondering. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

For new fans of Captain Marvel, that has long been my recommended starting points.

(NOTE: I will, however, add Shazam!: The World’s Mightiest Mortal vol. 3 HC to the list when it gets released in May as I feel that is absolutely essential reading.)

12 Likes

Thank you for this ! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

You’re welcome!

7 Likes

Ok not sure if this comment goes with the threads guidelines, but I would like to add that if you’re really itching to get into comics START NOW, meaning with current issues. If they’re close to number ones even better. And This is what I did each time I came back.
Now this isn’t for everybody. I know for someone like me I’d feel overwhelmed with so many issues.
I also don’t mean to ruin the thread and the work others put in, cuz they did a great job. Also this reply isn’t meant to say “hey don’t bother with that stuff Just Do It.” You’ll still need those lists when trying to go back and understand more about a character and even if they aren’t canon they can still be great reads for that character.

For reference here’s some useless info of how I did it.
1990-91 superhero comics was more on my radar out with Archie and Richie Rich, etc. I was lucky cuz Robin #1 just came out (Tim Drake). I went from there and back tracked some. At that time it wasn’t as easy. These days you got internet, trade paper backs, digital services etc.

2007- it’s been “iiits been” a while since I read a comic at this point. I stumbled on to a current issue of Infinite crisis #7 on a rack in Barnes and Noble, and seen something happen to one my fav characters. I bought it not caring it was issue 7. read it and was like OMG I need to go back, we need to go back Marty. So much changed since 1998. Like Hal being back and the rest of the green lanterns. Superboy wearing T-shirt and jeans and young justice was now Teen Titans. So I continued reading all of DC comics as they came out, the characters I liked as well as the weekly 52s, big issues leading to Final Crisis and then my favorite Darkest Night, then Brightest day. while also searching for paperbacks and old issues leading into Infinite Crisis, starting with identity Crisis, and then the four mini-series leading to Infinite Crisis, like Omac, Villians United, and crossover issues. Also went back to Green Lantern Reborn cuz that was a HUGE part of DC comics for the next 10 or more years. and more and eventually I even bought the 1985 Crisis. Then using wiki and dc encyclopedia to fill in some gaps.

And then we have NOW and I didn’t know where to start LOL. I dropped off half way through The New 52. But I just decided recently I had to just dive in as it goes and try to read older issues and I will use (and so should you) the list above to help. some spoilers get ruined by doing it this way. I would’ve liked to read the whole 3 crisises of the 2000s and everything leading into it but still a great experience

sorry if this was too long. I’ve could’ve left my comic history out lol. But I’m just trying to say do it your way and encourage them that there’s more ways to do it and you can always find help here. One of the best communities I ever been a part of, and that’s rare for Internet forums

10 Likes

Sage, Victor (The Question)

1. Where to Start

A. Origin Stories

• 52 #18, “Secret Origins” by Mark Waid
    Two page brief on The Question’s beginnings, based on his early adventures in Charlton Comics.

B. Jumping-On Points

• The Question #1-36 by Denny O’Neil
    The definitive Question series, written after DC acquired the rights to the character.

2. Recommended Stories

A. Modern Stories (Post-Crisis)

• Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood by Greg Rucka
    Really more of a Question/Huntress story, despite the title.

• The Question (2005) by Rick Veitch
    Psychedelic mystery taking The Question into Metropolis to expose a criminal underworld operating right under Superman’s nose.

• 52 by Geoff Johns, Greg Rucka, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid.
    The weekly, year long maxiseries passing the mask from Vic Sage to Renee Montoya.

B. Current Stories (Post-Flashpoint)

• Convergence: Blue Beetle by Scott Lobdell
    An event tie-in catching us up briefly with the original, Pre-Crisis incarnation of The Question, along with fellow Charlton alumni Blue Beetle and Captain Atom.

• Lois Lane by Greg Rucka
    Renee Montoya returns to service as The Question, and catches up with an old friend.

• The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage by Jeff Lemire
    A Black Label meditation reconciling the very different visions of Steve Ditko’s Question and Denny O’Neil’s reimagination.

14 Likes

Very nicely done!

5 Likes

I am starting to read from The Untold Legend of the Batman.

5 Likes

Batman year one part 4 released in January 20 and part 1 released in January 31, how’s that even possible?

4 Likes
  1. Start with deathstroke’s first appearance in marv Wolfman’s teen Titans issue # 2

2. Then read the Judas contract

3. Read trial of the terminator which is the follow up/ aftermath to the Judas contract

4. Read His solo series by marv Wolfman

Enjoy :blush: #terminator :robot: :skull_and_crossbones:

5 Likes

Here’s a good informative video as well

3 Likes

Cool video, but I don’t know what’s wrong with New 52 Deathstroke.

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with it. I own the first volume of his new 52 series.

Buuuut the new 52 series isn’t the story Marv Wolfman created. That series is like an alternate reality version of deathstroke’s history. Nothing wrong with it, but I prefer Marv Wolfman’s series better. I like all the character growth/development he put slade through from his inception as a villain, to his emergence as sort of an antihero with morals, codes, and values in his own book.

In trial of the terminator you start finding out that he’s not really a bad guy. And his solo series just furthers that process.

3 Likes

In the new 52 deathstroke is just a straight @hole without morals or scruples. That version is like if Marv Wolfman NEVER touched deathstroke after the Judas Contract.

4 Likes

@raider_dave66 I think maybe you can make a compromise of adapting new 52 Deathstroke by combining it somehow with the Wolvman version. May not work but that’s the best I can come up with.

2 Likes

This is a great mini-series written by the incredible Len Wein and beautifully rendered by John Byrne and Jim Aparo–with covers by the incomparable Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.

1 Like

Anyone got a list for Bart Allen? Obvious start with impulse and YJ vol 1 but where from there?

2 Likes

He’s in a bunch of the comics in The Flash Vol. 2 and New Titans

2 Likes

2003 Comic Book Graduation Day/Teen Titans/Outsiders

Titans and Young Justice disband.

Donna Troy dies.

Tim Drake, Conner Kent, Impulse, Cassie Sandmark join mentors Cyborg, Starfire and Beast Boy in Titans.

Back from death, Teenage Raven appears later.

Nightwing, Roy Harper, Thunder, Grace, Shift, Indigo and Jade join Outsiders.

5 Likes

This is actually really helpful

4 Likes