DC Character First Impressions

Share your first impressions of a character versus your opinion on them now?

4 Likes

4 Likes

Initially, I hated Guy Gardner with a burning passion. I thought he was arrogant, overly macho, annoying, and abrasive. The turning point was actually @thrakaboom 's fascinating essay on reading Guy as a trans man. Also, I was starting to seek out Booster Gold comics and it got pretty hard to avoid Guy Gardner. So, I read JLI and I eventually warmed up to him.

TL;DR: I went from ā€œheā€™s such an ahole, I hate him," to "heā€™s such an ahole, I love him.ā€

2 Likes

oh boy
so-

• When I first was introduced to Tim Drake, I hated him with a passion and wanted to erase him from DC because I thought he was an uninteresting mistake of a Robin.
    Which seems to be a popular opinion.
    Now heā€™s my favorite fictional character, Iā€™ve read a lot more of his stuff, I find him relatable and think about him during like 90% of my day.
  • I also used to dislike Bernard Dowd because I thought he was boring before I gave him a chance, and was pissed they made Tim bi but then wouldnā€™t give us TimKon, but now he is extremely important to me and I must protect him at all costs.
  • I also used to hate Hal Jordan, but as @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230 knows, they showed me the neon green light and I am now a fan of the genderfluid bisexual wine aunt Hal Jordan is.
  • Upon my first examination of the character, I was actually kind of a fan of the Joker. I had a time period when I was first getting into comics when I extensively researched the character, and read and watched a bunch of stuff about him, and I was fascinated by him. At this point- I just hate his guts. Heā€™s a damn loser and monster and I resent both him and the time I spent interested in him.
  • One of the few characters that I love and always have, ever since my first introduction, is Damian Wayne. The Supersons comics started my DC obsession, and Iā€™ve always been a fan of him and I canā€™t see that changing. The sword-wielding child is at fault for my DC hyperfixation, so heā€™ll always be a cool dude in my book. (I think but also I am indecisive, and I could very well hate him next week)
5 Likes

I used to believe it was a big mistake to have brought Jason Todd back in Under the Hood. Now that Iā€™ve come to understand him better, heā€™s one of my favorite characters.

7 Likes

Jessica Cruz-Justice League Odyssey

I never knew that their were new lanterns in the dc universe, being that I got into current comics maybe after reading Marvelā€™s Champions. Justice league Odyssey was my first #1 in comics in a long time.

Remembering my first thoughts about Jessica Cruz as a 16 year old was maybeā€¦ā€œOh, sheā€™s pretty.ā€ :heart_eyes: :smile:

It helps the artist for the six issues of this comics was the amazing Stjepan Sejic and I was drawn to that and him making all of Jessica Cruz lantern powers vibrant and alien made me pay attention to her little more than even Starfire and Cyborg.

Besides the aesthetic and superficial reasons, I really liked how Jessica Cruz had relatabilty that made her so much fun and cool to read about. She honestly carried that team and who knew towards the end she became the protagonist who was meant to save the Titans and Azrael by going against Darkseid. Yeah, I say that made me call Jessica Cruz, my favorite.

3 Likes

The first green lantern I knew about YEARS before I ever got into DC was Simon Baz, because I was like ā€œholy crap thereā€™s a Lebanese superhero??? I gotta tell my mom.ā€

3 Likes

See, Iā€™m looking at this like, ā€˜years? He was only createdā€¦ Oh wow. I guess that was a few years ago.ā€™ Thanks for making me feel old.

Damian at first seemed like an annoying obligation. The writers needed a Robin and we got this random annoying kid. I still donā€™t like him but now I see that heā€™s more than that. He is kind of supposed to be annoying.

Conversely, I used to love Nightwing with a burning passion. After actually diving into his comics later in life I realized heā€™s a bit of a jerk. Still like him but the name is appropriate.

4 Likes

Teen Lantern ā€” Didnā€™t like her at first. Do now.

Harvey Bullock ā€” REALLY didnā€™t like him at first, but heā€™s my second-favorite dc cop now.

Constantine ā€” Liked him, donā€™t anymore

4 Likes

Heā€™s over a decade old now lol

3 Likes

Elaborate

2 Likes

Misunderstood the thread lol. I edited my response

2 Likes

See, I donā€™t think thatā€™s a really long time.

3 Likes

Whyā€™s that?

3 Likes

In recent comics, he seems more arrogant to me.

4 Likes

For me I always hated mary sue characters and Constantine is one of them. Keanu Reeves Constantine is pretty cool though.

3 Likes

First impression of Stephanie Brown was in Batgirl #27 (2000), and she was written very whiny and treated like an incompetent by Babs and Cass. I didnā€™t like her much.

I now think Steph is the best character in all comics, DC, Marvel, and indie, and think that issue is a disgrace. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So funny enough, when I firstā€¦ met Jason, I didnā€™t really think much. I didnā€™t get a whole lot of information though, all I knew was that he had beef with both the Joker and Batman, but not much was explained to me at the time. Truth be told, I heard of his name but wasnā€™t given anything else, so anytime he was mentioning I was like, ā€œI know that name, but who is he?ā€ Eventually I learned that he was Robin, got killed by Joker, but I wasā€¦ admittedly, in love with another Robin, so I didnā€™t think much of it.

Finally, I got the whole story when I decided to do some digging, and then it all kimda made sense to me. During this time, I had yet to see his actual face underneath that hood, and when I finally did (in the form of fanart, believe it or not), it was literally love at first sight. What was once a character whoā€™s name floated around me and nothing more literally became my overnight obsession and 6 years later, the obsession is still strong :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I hope this counts. Itā€™s more my first impressions of a version of a character.

I hated Booster Gold and Zatanna in Smallville until the comics. Now theyā€™re some of my favorites!

5 Likes

I love Booster in Smallville. I think Zatanna in it is a sucky hero, but mainly since she is very new to the gig, so I let that slide.

3 Likes