DC Book Club Vol. I - JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE TOTALITY (2018)

Welcome to the community @SadBoiQ!

4 Likes

Having just read the first three issues I would like to know more about Martian Manhunter/J’onn J’onzz. I know about him only through Justice League books and he’s an intriguing character. Plus, he’s the man in Hawkgirl’s life so like any protective uncle I gotta check him out and make sure he’s good enough for her.

The Justice League members doing their Batman impressions with Batman listening in and being annoyed by them was fun. I would love to hear that in an actual movie/show as that could be fantastic.

Comedy adds to it but it has to be measured out. Too much ruins the suspense/tension but the right amount, at the right times, enhances the flavor of the story and the enjoyment of the book and I thought it was well done here especially since it was the appropriate characters adding the humor so nothing seemed out of place. Although Wonder Woman’s “I’m the (censored) Wonder Woman” was out of nowhere but in the moment it felt right and worked!

Yes - this two page part of Issue #1 because we get to see everyone in action, the vertical layout let’s them soar and seeing J’onn J’onzz eyes at the bottom is something I missed when holding the actual comic in my hands when I read this the first time. Having the whole Justice League literally in his head was really fantastic layout. Plus we get to see the other members of the DC Universe that are fighting alongside our heroes like Adam Strange, Plastic Man, Green Arrow, Swamp Thing and HAWKMAN!

6 Likes

Have you read his New 52 Batman or the still in comic stores American Vampire 1976? I believe we will be covering it sometime in the future in the House of Horror club. (Once a few of the books are on DCUI)

5 Likes

I am definitely excited to be a part of this club. Going to read through these soon, and I am looking forward to it! :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah I like that part too that and when Batman tries to deny putting bombs in the moon.

3 Likes

Finally! A book club i can get behind!

4 Likes

Was torn between keeping this or switching over to MARVEL. This here is one of the reasons I’ll be staying. Great idea.

Finished the first issue. And it was a very solid set up. This was the first time reading this. And Scott Snyder doesn’t disappoint.

Especially because as I was reading this all the voices that I kept hearing were the animated series crew. Especially Martian Manhunter.

Gonna be starting issue 2 soon.

7 Likes

Nice! I have both services mostly for the events and things like this club. I only read digital comics when I “have” to as I prefer the smell of paper if I can get them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You know, I was going to just space things out and read an issue a day until the next wave of questions, but…I just ended up reading all three issues in one sitting. :sweat_smile:

• Did reading this story make you want to learn more about a certain member of the Justice League?

It’s a bit of a hard question because in stories like this you don’t really learn a lot about these heroes – that’s kind of what their ongoing books are for. That said, since he has no ongoing, J’onn ends up having at least one really interesting mystery: who is the human child that J’onn interacts with through the glass?

• When did Batman plant bombs inside the moon?

I’ve heard people suggest times like the JLA era when they had the moon base, but I think I have a better one: The last issue of Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason’s run of Batman & Robin had Bruce and Damian having a father & son trip on the moon to fix up a base for him there.

Then, during the first arc of their run on Superman, Clark’s final battle between him and the Eradicator actually took place on Bruce’s Moon Base.

So I’m guessing those SPOILERS were done around the period that Bruce was making his base on the moon.

• Did you find any moments particularly funny?

Like others have mentioned, Barry and Diana showing off their Batman impressions was hilarious. I also loved Barry’s reaction to the fact that he, Diana and Arthur are not invisible while riding the Invisible Plane. :laughing:

• Do you think the comedy takes away or adds to the series?

I think someone else said something similar, but I think comedy can be great, if it fits the situation. I think the first three issues of this series gets that balance right. We get the Batman impressions in this big fight, but it’s basically the first action sequence when everything feels rather normal (well, superhero normal, anyway). But once the Moon blows up, pretty much everyone gets their proper game faces on.

• Do you hear any celebrity voices when you read the characters?

Sure. For a while, like a lot of folks here, I would hear the DCAU voices, but honestly, maybe it’s because of the movie coming out in a couple days, but I’m hearing more of the DCEU voices.

I’m definitely hearing Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and Jason Mamoa as Aquaman. Batman can kind of go between Affleck and Conroy, same with Superman between Cavill and Daly. I think between the bits we saw of the actual Barry in JL and his cameo in Crisis I can hear Ezra as Flash (the DCAU Flash doesn’t quite fit for Barry anyway because he’s more a fusion of Barry and Wally). Cyborg right now is mostly the Teen Titans version, same with Martian Manhunter with the DCAU, though I could easily see that change once the movie comes out. Since there is no equivalent for John in the movies (yet), I’m still definitely hearing Phil Lamarr in my head.

• How would you describe Jorge Jimenez’s art style?

I think I would describe him as a perfect blend of American Superhero comics and Japanese manga. You can definitely see it in his faces and the way the characters express themselves.

• Did you have a favorite moment or panel of artwork? Why did that stand out to you?

Like someone else, the big two page spread of all the Leaguers was great – really sets up the scale of the story they’re going to tell.

Also, a favorite of mine is the full page spread of Joker behind Hawkgirl in her little fighter jet thing. It’s a great, jarring page because throughout the issues we’ve been getting a Snyder story that’s far more over-the-top, action and spectacle focused, full of crazy sequences and ideas like Batman and Hawkgirl shrunk into the bloodstream of Superman and Martian Manhunter to keep them from not mutating. But in this one page, that old school horror Scott Snyder comes out to play and it is so jarring and spooky, and yet it fits!

9 Likes

Welcome to our community @steelfam2020! Marvel Unlimited is ok, I like having both subscriptions. I get both services for the year, and it has cut my weekly comic purchases back, so I’m saving money. But, like you point out, Marvel doesn’t have the community which is a really great perk of DCUI. All the wonderful people you’ll meet, this book club and other fan clubs, watch alongs, it’s added value to DC’s subscription. Plus, I think DC’s reader is better.

6 Likes

This was by far my favorite image as well! It resonated on so many levels of evil-ness of the Joker, but it also was in such direct opposition to one of my favorite comedic moments with the Joker:

It is a rather subtle humor, which is why it draws a hearty chuckle out of me every time. The mere fact that Joker, of all the villains, would be worried about children listening just does me in.

7 Likes

Hey @steelfam2020 - Welcome to both the DC Community and DC Book Club!

Glad you’re joining us :grinning:

Can’t wait to hear what you think about it. It’s got some “interesting” moments in it. :wink:

5 Likes

I think I share the same opinion of many here, the humor adds to the character relationships. It makes the characters come across as more of a warm family unit, and not just “co-workers” or “we only speak when we have to fight crime together”.

I often look at the art before I read the story, and I tend to go more towards the “darker” images. This one just stuck out to me, it’s my favorite from this series (so far)

A big welcome to everyone here! I’m so excited for us all to share our thoughts and opinions on this series! :orange_heart:

5 Likes

I love Oprah Winfrey (aka the Amanda Waller that never was but could have been), but man, her book club has nothing on the badassery of the DC Book Club.

Sorry not sorry, Oprah. Love ya, but…yeah.

6 Likes

The standout character for me is batman because he is efficient and he is able to solve things through.

6 Likes

The whole time I read this story, I thought about the animated Justice League cartoon in the 2000s. Kevin Conroy voiced Batman, Susan Eisenberg voiced Wonder Woman, etc. This book definitely brought back some nostalgia. Also, the Martian Manhunter was 100% the breakout star in this book and he has so much potential for future comic book stories. Jimenez is also an incredible artist and I really see him becoming a huge breakout artist for DC comics.

6 Likes

A: Love your avatar. Jason Fabok kicks ass.

2: Speaking of Martian Manhunter, have you read his 2015-'16 ongoing? If not, it’s fantastic. A dynamite solo outing for The Manhunter from Mars for sure.

6 Likes

I think it’s interesting how impactful DC animation has been on most of us, so many post saying they heard those voice actors in their heads, I do too. But I’ve heard Kevin and Mark Hamill in my head since the debut of B:TAS.

5 Likes

I wasn’t aware of that series, have to check it out. The Ostrander series from the 90’s was good as I recall, but I haven’t read it in years, it might not hold up. Also, I was told to read Steve Orlando’s most current MM series, supposedly that really good! All this talk of MM on this thread inspires me to want to go read all this stuff, LOL.

4 Likes

Kevin Conroy is the voice I typically hear when I read something with Batman. Same with Hamill and Joker.

I feel like I’m in the minority with hearing Mark Strong’s voice when reading something with Sinestro. Say what you will about the Green Lantern movie, but Mark Strong was Sinestro in every wonderful way. Too bad we didn’t see him dig his thespian teeth into Sinestro as a villain. I bet he’d be up there with Hackman’s Lex, Ledger’s Joker and other great DC villain performances.

7 Likes