DC Book Club Vol. I - JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE TOTALITY (2018)

Will do! Thanks!
Only question is how you guys are getting more than issue one lol it’s the only free one for me

5 Likes

I agree, and the camaraderie/jokes made the opening pages very approachable and a smart way to start the story.

Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor came through the strongest for me :rofl:

It really feels like he thinks about who the character is when he’s drawing- the facial expressions are so emotive.

As for your follow-up question about JL: The Totality being free, it definitely should be! I’ll look into this for you and get back to you in a jiffy. I’ve also sent you a DM to help track the progress :dp_flex_mentallo: Stay tuned!

10 Likes

Do you hear any celebrity voices when you read the characters?
When I usually read Batman, I do not hear Christian Bale. During the conversation at the beginning of the story I felt that was the Batman they were imitating.

Did reading this story make you want to learn more about a certain member of the Justice League?
Martian Manhunter for sure. I have read many many stories of this character, but he still seems to have so many unknown qualities. I really like the Martian Manhunter and I am glad to see him in a prominent position.

Favorite panel: I thought it was pretty funny when Luthor said he was the hero. lol.

8 Likes

He’s my most recent favorite artist too!

7 Likes

Haha, that would make sense! This series came out shortly after the Nolan series; that’s so interesting you picked up that vibe.

I agree, he made a very natural leader. I would love to hear more about what other series or titles his character is deeply explored in. We’ll try to put together a list before the book club ends so we can continue the Martian Manhunter journey!

It’s fascinating how we are all the heroes of our own stories, even when the morality is clearly destructive.

5 Likes

I like the panel proceeding this one where it’s John standing. I happen to be reading this via my single issues backlog lol.

7 Likes

Hey Oracle I like your new Avatar picture. :grinning:
:birds_of_prey_club_oracle:

5 Likes

This old thing? :nail_care: :tipping_hand_woman:

Thought it would be a good idea to go green with everyone! :four_leaf_clover:

8 Likes

Well, maybe everyone else doesn’t need to. But I will always be compelled to ANSWER… THE QUESTION.

From the very start, Scott Snyder puts a lot of work into impressing just how important Martian Manhunter is to the Justice League – an important point to make, as he had just spent the better part of a decade absent from its ranks despite being such an essential character from the very beginning of the team. Other books, like Orlando’s Martian Manhunter, and Ostrander’s before him, have attempted to explain who J’onn is, but this run is really about what J’onn specifically means to the Justice League as a team.

You know Batman… he’s always prepared. Considering the contingencies he infamously has in place for the JLA as a whole (see “Tower of Babel”), I’m going to say he did it around the first time the League moved their base to the moon, during Grant Morrison’s tenure on JLA.

I did love the running bit of everyone on the team having a Batman impression. I mean, if you worked with Batman all the time, wouldn’t you do the voice?

Justice League has a rich tradition of being a sort of “workplace comedy,” going all the way back to the “Bwa Ha Ha Ha!” era of Beetle and Booster. Snyder isn’t the funniest DC writer, to be sure, but he does a satisfactory job of balancing comedy with action.

Always the DCAU cast. This League was specifically built to mirror the roster of the 2000 Justice League animated series, right down to Hawkgirl and John Stewart, so it’s no surprise that Snyder writes these characters with those voices in mind.

(And of course, Cyborg will always be Khary Payton.)

Heroic. Jimenez is one of the most talented artists working for DC today, and he deserves to have been drafted here to do the Big Show.

This one:

Believe it or not, this run on Justice League is the first time that an actual Legion of Doom, a fine-tuned collection of A-List villains, has ever appeared to oppose the Justice League in their own comic book. Right in the first issue, Snyder and Jimenez Cheung (who drew this page) impress us that this will be a battle between the World’s Greatest Heroes and the World’s Greatest Villains. This is the Major League.

10 Likes

I’ve always thought that Martian Manhunter was under appreciated. I was disappointed that he wasn’t going to be in the JL flick. I’m glad that ZS’s JL is going to have him in it. I’ve always thought he was the stalwart of the team. He’s the glue that has held multiple iterations together, and as you point out, it’s nice Snyder focused on that, with him literally connecting the team mentally.

9 Likes

Actually that panel was drawn by Jim Cheung. I love his art too. Actually all the artists they had in the early part of the run, I’m a big fan of. Cheung, Jimenez, and Mahnke. I’ve loved his work since Major Bummer!

4 Likes

Oh, absolutely. That panel was unrelated to my previous comment about Jimenez, who the question was about. Cheung’s art was incredible.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess I did write Jimenez there. Fixing that.

2 Likes

Happening now…

4 Likes

I always have the voice cast from the Justice League in my head when I’m reading any DC comic book and with this series and the roster it feels so real

8 Likes

I love this line up. So glad to have Martian Manhunter front and center in this book.

6 Likes

The opening in issue one with the League doing their Batman impression is one of my favorite moments in any comic. Love how humor is used in this series to make the League feel like a real team.

8 Likes

This is going to be fun!. Just finished the first issue. A few years behind on all this but I enjoyed it a lot.

5 Likes

Martian Manhunter is one of my favorite characters and I am also excited to see him in Snyder’s version. I always saw him as the heart of the league.

6 Likes

As someone who has not read Justice League before, and mostly engaged in reading comics of individual superheroes rather than crossovers, I thought I’d provide a unique insight in reading this, especially with some of my comments probably being a little more surface level!

I found the scale quite impressive, you really have everything in this one. My question is though… is the Moon ok?

This particular image was great, and I just loved the casual nature of it. I really appreciated Martian Manhunters ability to figuratively and literally speaking, connect the team together. Every team needs a person… or… martian, like that!

I personally think the comedy added to this, you have these heroes personalities coming out even in the thickness of it all, and that’s what in my eyes is what is telling about the various personalities in such a diverse universe.

8 Likes

This is a great book. Scott Snyder is becoming one of my favorite writers, and he nails it with this volume.

5 Likes