DC Book Club Vol. I - JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE TOTALITY (2018)

So the LoD used the Ultraviolet Lantern and Still Force to give Earth to Umbrax, were Luthor would have the toality and Siniestro would have his own new corps. Grodd would revenge on Flash. what would joker, cheetah, and manta get? Another thing, the UV lantern and Still Force seem to counter the power of GL and Flash. Are these other cosmic energies supposed to counter the rest of the JL? So like a Red Star for Superman and a huge EMP thing for Cyborg?

5 Likes

So imagine this in the series. What would happen if the League is unable to free John Stewart from the UV power ring when he first comes to the Hall

3 Likes

That’s most definitely my thang!

'Cuz…humorously fidgets with fingers and stammers, Bob Newhart-style you know…

4 Likes

Exactly my point, above. (I’ve since read issue six and can tell you that this is partially answered for Manta and Cheetah.) But I don’t think the Totality is the one of the seven items Luthor seeks. He’s said that he needs to control these seven “hidden forces” to unlock the Totality for him – and each corresponds to something a LoD member has sought their whole life.

I don’t think these energies so much counter the JL members as individuals, but the abstract energies which they represent. So I’m not so much expecting a red star or EMP, but something like the opposite of “truth and justice” (so, doom/fate?) and maybe the opposite of data and facts (so lies, fantasy, etc, maybe?) But the lopsided roster of JL vs LoD leave Cyborg with out a LoD counter, so I’m suspecting he might be the wildcard that doesn’t fit in the equation. (Or at least I did, before reading ahead. Shhh.)

4 Likes

So with your theory, the cosmic energies relate to a certain JL member. the LoD members r goin after an energy to counter there enemy on JL. So, i think black manta and cheetah r gonna look for energies to counter Aquaman and Wonder Woman. i don’t think Grodd was actually gonna have WW and Aquaman kill each other he just wanted to tempt Flash into unlocking the still force.

5 Likes

yeah definitely Martian manhunter specify he has always been a character I’ve always been interested in him

i think it adds to the series you need some light moments not every character needs to be batman some comedy definitely doesn’t hurt

yes absolutely the entire cast from the early 2000 justice league cartoon i will probably forever in my head when reading comics

I guess epic what i mean by that he has been very good at drawing theses epic moments and panels

4 Likes

As a continuation of that idea, if Luthor had gotten all 7 would he had gotten the toality without the JL defeating him? another thing if manta and cheetah r going after their energies, will Lex and Joker find energies to counter Superman and Batman?

5 Likes

@BatManFan47 - Welcome on in! We’re so happy to have you here, and we’re glad you found us! I just have to say, it’s been exciting reading your “play-by-play” of the issues as you read them. Keep it up please :grin:

100% valid and I couldn’t agree more. Loved reading your entire point of view, you’re very good at putting your thoughts into words.

This was so deep, you really made me stop and think about it. It’s very true though, we do tend to impose order and bend it to our needs and desires.

I really love that we’re doing this, it’s made me look at certain things from a different perspective and I hope it has for some of you as well. Thank you to everyone involved, keep it up!

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s my thoughts as well. I think it plays in to the Atlantean and Amazonian runes that the Totality broadcast to Arthur and Diana. (RISE and TRUTH, respectively) So if Arthur and Diana represent these “energies” then Cheetah’s Graveyard of the Gods and Manta’s <issue 6 spoiler> would likely unlock the inverse ideals. So, without bringing in too much future knowledge, I’m thinking concepts like “DEPTH” or “FALLING” and “LIES” or “DECEPTION” are the concepts that counter Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

I’m guessing from Luthor’s pitch to the LoD that there is some alignment necessary for energy needed to reach full power. Like, Luthor was aware of Umbrax, but couldn’t harness the Ultraviolet corps on his own. He had baby Turtle, but couldn’t use his powers to empower the Slow Force.

Thus, he needs seven villains to get the seven energies. He’s got six. Who’s the seventh?

And, yes, I suspect Lex has a plan for him and Joker to get their Supes and Bats countering energies, but am not clear on how remote controlling Supes and J’onn serves that end. One suspicion I had is that maybe J’onn is one of these seven hidden energies, but Lex seems to be reaching in to the totality, not trying to “engage” J’onn. So, side trip to the desert aside, my suspicion is that that Joker seeks some embodiment of “CHAOS” to counter Batman’s “ORDER” and Luthor is presumably seeking “DOOM”/“FATE” to counter Superman’s “JUSTICE”/“CHOICE”…

5 Likes

It helps that, if I remember right Cyborg kind of leaves the book for a while so he can star in Justice League Odyssey.

Thank you! I was typing this while I felt sleep coming on to me, so I was a little worried it was going to look like incoherent babbling. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Alright so I’ve finished issue 5 and my thoughts I’m still very much enjoying the series still now this issue was written by James tynion and honestly it was really smooth transition from Scott to James for this issue As James gives a very interesting perspective that of lex Luthor which was very interesting to me the art was done by Doug Mahnke for this issue as well and he is an amazing artist I really enjoyed his art like the panel of the legion head quarters or the Grodd in the UN are two the stick out to me has amazing I also feel this issue helped me understand the story better so I’m very much enjoying this and can’t wait to see what happens next

4 Likes

I just finished and I thought it was pretty good. I don’t usually read Justice League stuff as I tyically read Batman and other Batfamily comics but i really enjoyed this story. As always Jorge Jimenez’s art is fantasitc, he has become one of my favorite artists.

One thing I must add is, how is Batman not a spokesman for the Boy Scouts, he has to be one of the most prepared people there is. He’s got Explosives on the moon as well as a Kryptonite ring just in case he needs them.

All in all I thought this was a great read and a great start to the Book Club.

9 Likes

Hey guys! Just got this tee in the mail yesterday. What do ya think?

5 Likes

Very nice!

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @scoop001! Hope you have a great Birthday today! :partying_face::birthday::tada::confetti_ball:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community! We’re so glad that you’ve taken the time to participate in our first Book Club discussion. We hope to see you around more!

@ROMANLEGION - LOVE the shirt! Very nice find.

@BatManFan47 - Glad you’re still enjoying the series!

@scoop001 - :open_mouth: Happy Birthday!!!

6 Likes

Hot Topic has a lot of DC stuff on there. I was poking around and saw it and figured, hey, why not? Of course, that was followed by the wife saying, “Seriously? Another Batman shirt?” Followed by our 6-year old sons saying, “Daddy, I want it too.”

6 Likes

LOL! That’s a cool shirt.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Aww such a cute story to go along with it too. Can one have too many Batman shirts? I think not!

4 Likes

The answer to that question, is an emphatic…HELL NO!

5 Likes