:00_dc_pride: DC Book Club(s) Vol. III - DC Pride! :00_dc_pride:

:claps excitedly:

This cornucopia of events has been a long time in the making, and I think it’s very fitting that DC Pride month feels like a wealth of celebration and shine! :sparkles:

It was very tricky selecting this month’s issues; we wanted to show equal love to some our favorites, pick landmark moments, and uplift some of the lesser-known LGBTQIA+ characters. We hope you find something that sparks your curiosity in the batch!

The Authority #29

I think for those who are reading this issue alone, it is very difficult to jump in midway. The unique characters, complex storyline, and mid-story entry point all make for an experience that are very challenging for first-time readers. But I hope it tempts you into learning more with the Characters of DC Club as they explore the dynamic of Midnighter & Apollo!

Detective Comics #854

Ooooh, friends and neighbors- if you haven’t read the Elegy storyline before, you have a feast for the eyes and senses awaiting you. This series, and the Batwoman “brand” in general, is absolutely riveting for its experimentation with panel structure.

Regarding this month’s discussion question on this book, “What does this early appearance of Anna teach us about Kate Kane’s love life”, I read this as a nearly 1:1 with Batman (and many other vigilantes) experience with love. Trying to lead a double life doesn’t work well in most cases, and that is especially true for Kane’s troubled past.

If you enjoyed this series, be sure to check out the World of Bats reading of Elegy this month- you can jump in any time!

Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy #1

This month’s discussion question asks of Harlivy, “are they better as partners-in-crime, or partners-in-romance? Can a love like theirs based on mayhem be built to last?” Maybe I’m too much of a romantic dreamer, but I absolutely adore this romantic relationship. I think their chemistry and the evolution of their story has unfolded beautifully. Many other relationships before theirs have thrieved in chaos, why can’t these two ladies have a shot? They don’t seem to let their romance get in the way of their mayhem, and they have someone to decompress with between heists. Seems like a win/win to me! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Constantine #1

“When queer role models are in short supply, is there also value in including these {much” less than perfect characters as queer representation?"
Yes, yes, 1,000x times. The effort of representation is to create complex, expanded, human experiences. Trying to create a Pollyanna of representative characters could inadvertently harm queer representation. The point isn’t that one life experience or orientation is “better than” - it just is. The more we can treat each other as valid, worthy, and subject to a shared human experience, the more we can move towards normalizing the LGBTQIA+ community.

Special thanks to @HubCityQuestion for these excellent discussion questions! :0_the_question_jlu: I can’t wait to dig in more in the coming weeks, as well as read many of your thoughts and insights!
:00_dc_pride: :00_dc_pride_ar: :00_dc_pride_as: :00_dc_pride_bs: :00_dc_pride_is: :00_dc_pride_ll: :00_dc_pride_nb: :00_dc_pride_poci: :00_dc_pride_ps: :00_dc_pride_tg: :dc_pride_club:

Be sure to check out all the other DC Pride discussions happening across the Community- we’re honored to have such a positive and inclusive group of folks to share this joy with!

20 Likes