DC Arts & Crafts

Bored as hell at the house, so show me what you got!

I do a few. We have a local bookstore that sells 50¢ comics- which is cool, but they hit the covers with a sticker to mark them, effectively ruining the value of the book. But if you buy them to read the story only, or to repurpose them, they’re a great buy (especially since the selection is also great). So that’s what I do- one of my favorite things to do is to make them into magnets for a magnet board I got from IKEA:

I’m working on 1 for Neil Gaiman’s Sandman right now.

17 Likes

The other thing I like to do is posters. With either the 50¢ issues I find, or a backup copy of a book I already own. It dawned on me that some splash pages would look great as posters, but would likely never get made. So I found a local printshop who blows the images up for me to 11x17 size. Walmart sells 11x17 frames for $5. The print cost less than $2. At this point, I probably have hundreds of them.

15 Likes

That’s full of awesome. Great idea!

4 Likes

That’s very cool! My friend found a literal barrel of his comics from childhood, but they had sustained massive water damage. He was gonna trash them, so I grabbed a stack. One of these days I want to try using them to decoupage or make a collage poster.

6 Likes

Here’s my slow progress on the Sandman magnets (can’t go shopping for new books right now, so I’m relegated to eBay and waiting on them to ship).

10 Likes

Great idea! I love the posters. I need to frame a bunch of stuff myself.

6 Likes

Found a pic of an old magnet collage I did for Grant Morrison’s Batman run.

11 Likes

9 Likes

Wow - these are all great! Great way to purpose

3 Likes

I also took one of those souvenir starfish that they sell in beach towns and painted him to look like Starro. The eye is a beer cap that I glued to the center (and then painted as well).

15 Likes

These are such creative ways to repurpose comics! Love them! :superman_hv_4:

5 Likes

Very Cool!

5 Likes

Oooh, yes please!! :grin:
That Starro is awesome, btw.

3 Likes

Thanks- its definitely a favorite. It fit well with the ‘ocean theme’ we picked for the guest bathroom, so I was able to hang some Starro/Aquaman posters and put up a Star Conquereor version of the ‘modified souvenir starfish’ as well.

8 Likes

Finished my Sandman magnets, finally

6 Likes

Can you tell me where @TheTerribleToyman ?

2 Likes

Dude. That’s sick. I gotta try that out! I’m currently looking to make my room more superhero themed in decor and this splash page poster idea is an awesome one!

3 Likes

These are awesome™:+1:. Like the Starro

3 Likes

Got some new posters the other day.

I put them in these art portfolios-

Then periodically I interchange what we frame and put on the walls

9 Likes

OMG @TheTerribleToyman- your collages and posters are fantastic and this Starro is just. so. cool. Loving your creative touches in all of this work. :+1:

5 Likes