DC Announces "The Death of The Justice League" in 2022

So it was rumored during all the Death Metal stuff? Wasn’t that a crisis in & of itself?

2 Likes

Sort of. I think the original Metal storyline was originally going to be called “Dark Crisis” but they decided to do something a little different.

Meanwhile, Williamson described this as basically being the start of his third act of his big DC linewide story that started with Infinite Frontier. So I’m guessing that the finale of it is probably going to be some big Crisis-wide event. It could even be the “Dark Crisis,” since Darkseid is involved with his Dark Army.

5 Likes

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Zatanna

Those are the characters going to battle and only one will return to earth to tell the story. The variant cover has caskets for Aquaman, Batman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), Superman and Wonder Woman. That leaves five with a chance at surviving.

• Black Canary
  • Green Arrow
  • Hawkgirl
  • Martian Manhunter
  • Zatanna

0 voters

Place your bets!

Personally, I am as excited as **** for this. I love knowing there are serious consequences, ramifications and actual stakes on the line and I cant wait to see who makes it out of there alive. I also cannot wait to see where it all goes from here.

We all know that no comic book death is forever so they’ll be back at some point and this “gimmick” has already worked with me as I already told me LCS I want three copies of issue #75!

Bring it on, DC…I am HERE for it!

4 Likes

Glad to see you excited about it :slightly_smiling_face:.

I voted J’onn and/or Zatanna because… pure guess!

4 Likes

Logically I’d go with Black Canary because DC favors the Gotham folk…
but then I’d also go with Martian Manhunter because to kill him off would be the end of his people…
but my heart wants it to be Hawkgirl (how awesome would it be it the Hawks were the only one that survived for once!)…
but Zatanna could be the most functional member for storylines going forward…
and then there’s Green Arrow who really has no business getting out of this alive. It would actually be (funny isn’t the right word but it’s all I have right now) if Oliver Queen survived and then had no way to get back to earth and died as a result. “Nooooo! She was my ride!”

3 Likes

As opposed as I am to this, I do wonder how DC is planning on significantly differentiating it from Forever Evil, both story-wise and publication-wise. That event will only be 8.5 years old when this happens, so it’s relatively soon to be doing something so similar. And Forever Evil was confined to its own event series and the Justice League titles. You could happily keep reading the Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. series during that time and have no idea that anything else was going on. I am genuinely curious whether this upcoming incident will launch a self-contained event series, or if it will impact all of the on-going solo titles. The EW article doesn’t specify.

3 Likes

Exhibit A on why I’m so obsessed with digitized Silver and Bronze Age DC. Nothing they do can change what happened there and it’s often enjoyable to this day.

I also pay for Marvel Unlimited and frankly there’s very much the same rolling out of silly radical changes yearly over there to try to get sales boosted. For both companies there are usually at least two or three good titles to keep reading while all the bizarrness goes on in the background.

6 Likes

Williamson clearly loves DC and has been sprinkling in pre-Flashpoint stuff for years ever since he was on The Flash title. I absolutely trust whatever he has planned and you can be assured it’s not going to be what it appears like. This is all marketing hype.

5 Likes

If I don’t get a special plastic bagged issue complete with black armband, why are we even doing this?

8 Likes

@moro

So it was rumored during all the Death Metal stuff? Wasn’t that a crisis in & of itself?

Yeah, Jay Kay answered it best.

But yeah, I think the Death Metal stuff was just Scott Snyder’s thing.

The “5G” thing was the big… thing. That was going to be the big “It Starts Here!!!”

Of course, that was scrapped with the AT&T takeover. Then we got “Future State” to try and patch that big hole. And ultimately everything was seemingly just stuck in a holding pattern.

I guess the Infinite Frontier stuff my have played a role in setting up whatever they’re going to do now?

Either way, over the next three months (February, March and April) will get the May, June and July solicitations and I’m guessing then things will become very clear.

Oh, and in the poll I guess I’ll vote Martian Manhunter because why not…

The answer to the question though is Batman. And it doesn’t matter what the question is, the answer is still Batman. :blush:

The Martian Manhunter may be the only one to return to Earth to tell the story, but somehow and someway Batman is involved.

Because of course he is… :blush:

2 Likes

Spoiler alert: it’s in the title!

2 Likes

Let’s shake things up!

Right? She seems the most practical, as she has already restarted the universe in her own design, and could theoretically be the “undo” switch. But then, her dying and someone else coming back to report on it could make all the other mystical characters in her wake start trying crazy desperate stuff that could change the universe even more. (Oh, no, now there are twenty Zatanna/Diana hybrids, all of them are insane, and none of them want to sleep with you, Constantine!)

I voted ZZ, but in my heart I think it’ll be JJ, because he’s already always kind of fed up with humanity and on the verge of going on another soul searching spirit quest. Coming back, and not only refusing to help resurrect the fallen or time-travel/reality-alter them to never have died would be great - put that burden on the remaining non-league “heavies” while we get more stories similar to 52 of the supporting heroes trying to keep the peace, all while J’onn steadfastly refuses to form a new League. Sure, maybe heroes die (and eventually come back in some manner), but can it remain that the League is dead, and J’onn is the wall that prevents it from reforming, based on some sort of logic that it creates a magnet for multiversal threats?

In short, yeah, another marketing gimmick, but I’m absolutely here for it. If it means a shift from the “put all the supporting cast in the recognizable headline books” strategy to getting more proper supporting cast books - even if just 12-24 issue runs, then I’m absolutely thrilled. (It might not, I realize, but a boy can dream.)

I mean…they did two Metal titles within two years of each other… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want the JLI to come back with Bane as a member

I’m feeling Green Arrow

1 Like

A good friend of mine is telling me they think it’ll be Ollie and/or Dinah :eyes:

I could totally see it!

2 Likes

True, but Death Metal was a direct sequel to/continuation of/expansion on the themes of Metal and a culmination of the story that had been running throughout Snyder’s and Tynion’s series and events. This just seems to be taking the basic premise of Forever Evil (taking the Justice League off the board) and swapping out the Crime Syndicate for Darkseid and crew. It just seems really soon to be doing such a similar story again.

1 Like

That is definitely a…charitable reading of Metal. I am much less inclined to be charitable. But then, I just don’t like events in general. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, but not just the armband, the little tin pin with the fold down clasp that breaks after three or four times being folded and unfolded, The Funeral Poster… Daily Planet Obituary clipping, The Bloody logo T-shirt, the Commemorative Newstime Special…

Not to mention:
The Funeral For Fallen Friends crossover happening in all the other League Books.
The World without Justice Follow up banner across all other DC Titles for three to Six Months…
The Special Justice League Gallery
The McFarlane Multiverse Figure assortment.
Trading Cards (I miss Trading Cards)

What else is there? (I’m sure we’re forgetting Something…)

2 Likes