DC Announces Continuation of Bill Willingham’s Creator-Owned Hit with Fables #151 and Batman vs. Bigby! A Wolf in Gotham

Once upon a time, fans met the characters of Fabletown, the hidden city populated by legendary heroes and villains of fairy tales and folklore. Now, in celebration of its upcoming 20th anniversary, the bestselling series Fables is picking up where it left off—and expanding into the DC Universe.

First, on sale in September, Batman vs. Bigby! A Wolf in Gotham sees Fables ’s infamous sleuth Bigby Wolf go head-to-head with the world’s greatest detective, Batman, in this six-issue spinoff miniseries from DC Black Label. Written by Bill Willingham with pencils by Brian Level, inks by Jay Leisten, and colors by Lee Loughridge, this crossover detective story will delight fans of both Batman and Fables—or fans who just love a good noir mystery.

“I’ve wanted to do this since the very first year of Fables ,” says writer Bill Willingham. “Why? Because Batman is a detective, and Bigby is a detective, and I love a well-crafted story crossing over characters from two different fictional worlds. It’s automatically a fish-out-of-water story for at least one of the main characters, and that sort of story always works. Plus, I knew from the very beginning of Fables that my fictional universe would allow for many ways to get Bigby Wolf into the DCU and Gotham City. Even though those cosmic story structures wouldn’t be introduced in the Fables books for a year or more, they were baked in from the very beginning.”

Then, on sale the first week of May 2022, the main story line continues with Fables #151—just in time for the 20th anniversary of Fables #1. Fables #151 is the first installment of “The Black Forest,” a 12-issue arc that picks up where the story left off in Fables #150, and is also a perfect jumping-on point for new readers. The series also reunites the core creative team, with pencils by Mark Buckingham, inks by Steve Leialoha, colors by Lee Loughridge, and letters by Todd Klein.

“We introduce a great new character and catch up with many of our most beloved characters from the previous issues,” says writer and creator Bill Willingham. “Mark Buckingham has agreed to draw all twelve issues of this tale and I believe he’s doing the best work of his career. Yes, I know I’ve said that several times before, but can I help it if he keeps getting better and better?”

Bill Willingham’s return to DC will also include Cursemas, a 48-page standalone holiday special featuring the Justice League.

Will you be continuing the storybook adventures in the latest FABLES titles? Let us know in the comments below! :point_down:

16 Likes

Oh wow… @Razzzcat!

Any hope of a chance that perhaps or maybe Fables could drop when this comes to our library? :grimacing:

9 Likes

:eyes: Uhm …yes, please. :purple_heart:

9 Likes

An interesting surprise. I’m not sure if I would read 151, because I felt the series took a dive after the initial arc ended in #76. But I’ll definitely give the Batman crossover a shot.

6 Likes

The Batman vs. Bigby one-shot doesn’t interest me right now (that will likely change as the book inches ever closer to release), but as for the return and continuation of Fables itself?

:boom: :sparkler: YES!!! :sparkler: :boom:

I :heart: Fables. It’s one of my absolute top three Vertigo series, EVER, and I’m thrilled that it will begin life anew (and with it’s original numbering to boot).

I absolutely second this @Mae. The tie-in opportunity to have the previous 150 issues (and related content) is too good to pass up. I would bet we’ll get a massive Fables drop, come next May, Mae.

6 Likes

Batman vs Bigby sounds awesome, something I never knew I needed. Any chance DCUI would celebrate this with a fables dump of Fables… any chance please please?

4 Likes

You, me and @Mae: Three hopefuls hoping for Fables to darken the doorstep of our library come next May.

I know there’s more, and I know that DC loves a good tie-in opportunity. Let’s cross everything we can in the hopes that Fables (and everything pertaining to it, i.e. Jack of Fables, etc, etc) will eventually come here. :crossed_fingers:t2:

5 Likes

Add me to that list- I started reading it with the second story arc, and devoured new issues as they came out.

5 Likes

Four Fables Fans Furiously Fawning For Its Fantastic DCUI Debut:

Let’s keep the list growing…

9 Likes

I never finished the series, but knowing that I get almost a year to reread and then complete a read of the series makes me more excited.

Can’t wait to see the Bigby/Batman crossover though.

3 Likes

never even knew the series existed, however i cant help but wonder if it will cross with vampire batman.

2 Likes

Add me to the list of Fables followers who want it on here

4 Likes

If I understood it right, the Batman Vs Bigby story is a six-issue mini, with the continuation being a twelve issue story.

6 Likes

Very awesome™:+1:

That would be be awesome™:+1:

2 Likes

I remember reading the first new arc is 12 issues, but I must have forgot about the Bigby deal being a mini, given my excitement over the main series coming back.

5 Likes

I loved Fables, it was one of my few must buys during its run, so I can’t wait for these two to be released.

4 Likes

Fables is something that looked really interesting that I never got a chance to read, so seeing it here on DCUI is great! I would love the back issues as well.

5 Likes

This is great news.

I really miss Fables and will be buying this story once it hits TPB format.

4 Likes

I unloaded a lot of trades a while back. Still have the entire Fables run. Love Fables.

5 Likes

Yes please! I played the Telltale game The Wolf Among Us and it was spectacular! I totally fell in love with this character - can’t wait for this!

7 Likes