DC Announces Big Wildstorm (And Spawn?!) Content Coming in November!

To say that DC hasn’t really utilized their Wildstorm properties as much lately would be pretty accurate, but starting in November, they’re ramping that up in a big way! Here are the highlights:

• WildC.A.T.S gets a new solo series by Matthew Rosenberg and Stephen Segovia, with that classic team initially taking on the Court of Owls.

• Waller Vs Wildstorm, a four-issue mini-series written by acclaimed journalist Spencer Ackerman and writer for Gotham Knights and Spider-Man: Miles Morales Evan Narcisse, with art by Eric Battle. Set in the 1980s, during the height of the Cold War, it will feature a young, upstart Amanda Waller getting into the American intelligence agencies and coming for the seat of Jackson King, the leader of StormWatch.

• There will also be a Wildstorm 30th Anniversary Special, a 100-page one shot featuring writing and art from creators like Rosenburg, Jim Lee, Brett Booth, Dustin Nguyen, and more.

They also announced a series of WildStorm and 90s flavored variant covers, as well as a trade collection for both Batman/Spawn specials that were released from both DC and Image just in time for the upcoming new crossover coming in December.

Link to the announcement here:

Lots of cool stuff here, looking forward to reading these. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yep, WALLER VS. WILDSTORM has my interest… and probably my money too. :smiling_face:

WALLER VS. WILDSTORM # 1

• Written by SPENCER ACKERMAN and EVAN NARCISSE
  • Art by ERIC BATTLE
  • Cover by JORGE FORNÉS
  • Variant cover by ERIC BATTLE
  • 1:25 variant cover by MIKE PERKINS
  • $5.99 US | 32 pages | 1 of 4 | Prestige Plus 8 1/2" x 10 7/8"(all covers are card stock)
  • ON SALE 11/15/22

The synopsis for Waller vs. Wildstorm #1 reads, “In the early 1980s, as the Cold War stubbornly refuses to thaw, a new battle heats up…for the soul of the intelligence agency Checkmate. As the agency’s super-heroic public face, Jackson King—a.k.a. The armored Battalion, former leader of Stormwatch and the symbol of American might—has long suspected that Adeline Kane is up to dirty tricks overseas, engineering horrors that betray everything he believes about service to one’s country. But King doesn’t know that Kane has a clever new ally—an ambitious young woman named Amanda Waller. She has her own ideas about how metahumans can serve their country. And honor, dignity, and long lives don’t factor into them… National-security reporter Spencer Ackerman (The Daily Beast, Reign of Terror), comics and video game writer Evan Narcisse (Black Panther, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Batman: Gotham Knights - Gilded City), and veteran artist Eric Battle (Aquaman, Kobalt) celebrate WildStorm’s legacy of espionage-flavored superhero morality plays, pitting Stormwatch against the deadliest people in the DCU—including Deathstroke himself!”

This is right up my alley.

So… buy it as it comes out to support it, or just wait for it come to DC Universe Infinite.

Decisions, decisions…

2 Likes

Ackerman talks about it on his blog.

2 Likes

This is absolutely true.

Superman: Son of Kal-El has done a good job of making Henry Bendix a serviceable Superman villain, however.

We…wants it, ALL of it, in fact. Its our…precious. :drooling_face:

To quote SchwarzeFreeze (who is also celebrating a big anniversary this year), “Ah, very nice.”

I’ll probably pick and choose on the variants (I certainly hope Jim Lee has some stuff among 'em), and I will absolutely ask Santa for the Batman/Spawn trade.

The only thing we need now is a Batman and Spawn action figure two-pack from McFarlane Toys, which can serve as a rad crossover between their DC Multiverse and Spawn lines, while also tying into the new trade of the existing B/S content and the new one-shot.

As a dedicated WildStorm geek, I’m absolutely buying all of it as it comes out.

…and then reading it again on DCUI, 6 months later! :tada:

Win-win! :superman_hv_4:

2 Likes

Holy potatoes Doctor Jones, check out this Artgerm variant featuring Zealot! :astonished:

@millernumber1 will pick that up, I bet.

2 Likes

I do love that variant, but…who’s Zealot? I must admit that Wildcats are a completely closed book to me. I found the Rosenberg story in Urban Legends very frustrating.

3 Likes

A sword-wielding, wicked-rad hardass.

No time like the present to get into the franchise, then! Not just because of WildStorm’s 30th anniversary, but also because of the forthcoming new volume of WildC.A.T.s.

In the meanwhile, sneak a peek at this:

After you’ve read it, you can talk about it :point_right:t2: here :point_left:t2:.

2 Likes

Hmm. Are these good new-reader friendly comics?

2 Likes

I’d say so. WildC.A.T.s was among the very first WildStorm titles in 1992.

Being that the WildStorm Universe was in its infancy then, there wasn’t much catch-up needed to enjoy the book, as WildC.A.T.s was world-building as it unfolded.

2 Likes

Always glad to see New Wildstorm content! Will be looking forward to reading!

1 Like