[DC Animated] Week 3: Barbara Gordon, Feb 25-Mar 3rd

Which episodes of Barbara Gordon/Batgirl is your favorite?

That’s a tough one – I think it’s neck and neck between Heart of Steel and Shadow of the Bat.

In Heart Of Steel, do you think this was a great way to introduce Barbara?

Definitely. A lot of people talk about how cool it is that we are first introduced to Harvey Dent in this series as the DA in On Leather Wings and we see him a couple of times before he fully becomes Two-Face, but they’re kind of sleeping on the fact that the same thing happens with Barbara Gordon. It was cool to see her figure out at least intuitively that something is going on and have her help Batman throughout the second part.

In I am the night, what part really stand out to you as the best moment?

It’s a little over the top and dramatic, but I loved Batman brooding in the cave, especially at the beginning when it’s like he’s sitting on a throne of stalagmite. :laughing:

In Shadow Of The Bat, Do you think Barbara did a great job as being Batgirl for the first time?

I’d say so. The situation makes sense for why she would get into that costume. She slips up and makes a few mistakes, but she ultimately saves the day in the end.

In Batgirl Returns, Which team-up you like best, Batgirl & Robin or Batgirl & Catwoman?

It’s been a while since I watched it (waiting until the WAL on Monday), but while Batgirl and Robin always have a good dynamic together, the whole “can they trust each other” thing between her and Catwoman I think is more interesting.

What did you think of Melissa Gilbert performance as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl?

Relistening to her again, I really like it. Her Barbara in these episodes goes through more highs and lows and I think offers a more dynamic performance than Tara’s – though to be fair to her, the closest we get to an episode that focuses on Barbara in TNBA is the one that gives her the least screentime.

Which of the 4 comic story you like the best?

I’ll agree with @AlexanderKnox (something something give him a grant) that the second and third issues are probably the best. The Batman Adventures #26 has a good focus on Dick and Babs working together both with and without the masks in pretty cool ways – though I’m trying to decide if literally calling the stolen pistols the “McGuffens” is too cute or not. Batman & Robin Adventures #9 was also cool to see Barbara go up against Talia, something I don’t think we’ve ever seen in any of the comics. I liked that in terms of martial artistry Babs couldn’t match up, but she won the day by using her brain and being as stubborn and headstrong as a mule – and isn’t that just Barbara in a nutshell?

The forth issue with the Riddler was decent enough, though kind of the standard Riddler story; and as for the first…I honestly don’t even remember any of it. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes