DC Animated Universe In Comics Thread

20231021_232251

Hello everybody, wish I thought of this a long time ago, In this thread we’ll be looking at comics that are based from Batman The Animated Series, Superman The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League, & Justice League Unlimited.
Sadly Static Shock & Zeta’s Project doesn’t have a comic based on the animated series.
So here’s my goal for this thread, Starting on Monday, October 23rd, 2023, each day I plan to read 1 comic per day on DC Universe Library and talk about what I’ve read.
While there may be a few comics missing, you can find them in Volume books if you have Ultra subscription, sadly DC Universe does not have Batman & Robin Adventures: Subzero & the last 10 issues of Justice League Unlimited. I think this will be alot of fun, starting with The Batman Adventures #1. :nerd_face::books:
Feel free to comment, share your favorite stoies or join the read along.

The Adventures Begins…

15 Likes

There’s a lot of good DCAU comics out there! Batman and Robin adventures was one of the first comics I could remember reading

6 Likes

Ooh I’m excited to join the journey!

5 Likes

The Batman Adventures
#1 ‘Penguin’s Big Score’

Written By: Kelley Puckett
Artist By: Ty Templeton

Every story has the beginning, I remember reading this comic 30 years ago and just love it. Editor Scott Peterson said that he was asked if he like to be a Editor for a new comic that’s based on the new Animated Series of Batman, he agree to do it. Originally The Batman Adventures was going to be a 6 part mini-series. Then DC decided to make this a ongoing series.
With Batman Returns being out in theaters, The Batman Adventures teams decided to have The Penguin as the first villain for the series, by far I think it was a right choice.
I love how in the beginning of the story, Penguin has a word of a day, and it’s best not to get on his bad side.
In the story we see Penguin trys to rob a bank by making himself popular in the public’s eyes, and it’s up to Batman to stop him.
This was a good clean fun story to read. Looking forward to #2 tomorrow.:grinning:

Panel Of The Day
Each day I’ll share my favorite panel of the day from the book. Today panel of the day there’s 3 I wanted to share, cause I think this was a clever and funny scene, check it out! :laughing:

And there you have it. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars, Cause I think it’s a great way to start the series and the artwork by Ty Templeton is just awesome. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Even with the weekly pilgrimage to the LCS, I always bought these off the spinner rack at the grocery store where I worked. It was fun to be able to grab a continuity light issue and just read.

6 Likes

Sounds like a really fun read! I’ve gotta confess, I’ve never read any of the TAS comics…

6 Likes

It’s worth checking it out. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

The issue is I haven’t finished any DCAU shows other than JLTAS/JLU. I intend to read Justice League Infinity soon. Maybe after I finish Widening Gyre?

6 Likes

That was a good book, It’s really hard to pick favorite stories in any issues. :smiley:

6 Likes

I think Penguin missed the tax implications of giving lots of money to charities that he never earned. The IRS is going to get him for tax evasion like Al Capone.

6 Likes

How it started in 1992 and how it ended in 2023 with Batman: The Adventures Continue Season 3 #8

both by Ty Templeton

10 Likes

Oh wow, awesome. Thankyou si much for sharing, that’s really awesome tribute! :grinning:

7 Likes

I bought that issue when it came out in September 1992 and picked up nearly every comic in the Adventures line after that. It is one of DC’s greatest “imprints” if you will.

8 Likes

The Batman Adventures
#2: Catwoman’s Killer Caper!

Writer: Kelley Puckett
Artist: Ty Templeton

Day 2, I’ve just finished reading the second issue, with Catwoman as a main villain. This time we see Batman going to London to go after Catwoman who went to London and stole the crown jewels.
It’s a good adventure story, seem like a classic Catwoman story of any comic, Catwoman steals a Jewels, Batman goes after her and save the day. I’d give it a 3 1/2 stars. :slightly_smiling_face:

Panel Of The Day

This panel is a clue to what The Joker is planning in the next issue! Making a TV Network takeover!

I couldn’t believe it took me over 20 years to notice this, so that was a clever writing. Tomorrow I’ll be back with the 3rd issue. :grinning:

6 Likes

The Batman Adventures
#3: Joker’s Late-Night Lunacy!

Artist: Ty Templeton

The Joker kidnapped Commissioner Gordon and later host his own network show. It’s up to Batman & Harvey Dent to rescue Gordon and and stopping the Joker.
I really enjoy this story, I like how the Joker trys to host his own show like in Batman The Animated Christmas With The Joker, in Almost Got’em, he host a tonight show, and Justice League 2 part episodes he host another show!
If I didn’t know any better, this Joker is obsessed being on TV to run a show!
I give this 4 stars!
Oh yeah, like with Jason Todd’s Robin, Joker was brutal, hiting Gordon with a Baseball bat!

Panel Of The Day
Before Long Halloween was ever published, we see Batman working with Harvey Dent.

I wonder if this was a first time in comic book history that they work together, or has work before? :thinking:
@HubCityQuestion probably would know.
Can you believe how nice and cheap the comic was at the time? $1.25? It sure was worth it! :grinning:I’ll be back tomorrow with a 2 part Adventures story! Hopefully I’ll still be able to read!

:batman:

7 Likes

I believe it started with Batman: Year One.

In his first appearance Harvey Kent (yes Kent) shows up at court, calls Batman as a witness and gets his face ruined by page two.

6 Likes

The Batman Adventures
#4: Riot Act Part 1

Written By: Martin Pasko
Artist By: Brad Rader

Batman The Animated Series writer Martin Pasko guest writer for The Batman Adventures, after 3 issues, The Batman Adventures takes a bit of a darker tone where everybody can’t read, thanks to the mysterious villain.
Will Batman be able to stop this villain in time before things get worst? We’ll find out tomorrow in issue 5. :slightly_smiling_face:

Panel Of The Day

The first appearance of Robin in the series. :grinning: :00_robin:

6 Likes

Mastapiece

6 Likes

The Batman Adventures
#5: Riot Act Part 2

Written By: Martin Pasko & Kelley Puckett
Artist By: Brad Rader

And the story continues with Batman & Robin going into action, trying to find the Scarecrow who is responsible for the can’t read thing.
Yesterday I did forget to rate part 1, so I think it’s fitting that I’d rate both parts in one story, I honestly would give it a four stars, for the story and the darker tone of artwork.
You can tell they were pushing a limit just a bit.

By the way did you know President Abraham Lincoln’s Parents couldn’t read? Lincoln’s father would get mad at Lincoln for wasting his time reading a book, when he should be working.
Lincoln’s Stepmother was so supportive of his reading and learning.
I wouldn’t be surprise if Lincoln would’ve love to read about heroes in comic books!

Panel Of The Day

Beautiful artwork of Batman & Robin in action! :grinning:

7 Likes

The Batman Adventures
#6 ‘The Third Door’

Artist: Brad Rader

If you love a good murder mystery story, then you’ll like this story, where Bruce Wayne is arrested for murder!
The mystery was really good and you wonder how he’ll get out of this.
Anyway I give this story 5 stars for a clever mystery.🕵‍♂️
This would’ve been a last issue had it been a mini-series, glad it wasn’t and would continue with a new artist…Mike Parobeck.:smiley:

Panel Of The Day

Alfred Hitchcock makes a cameo appearance in this panel, which is perfect, this story is something Hitchcock would’ve probably make in to a TV episode or a movie. :grinning:

7 Likes