DC animated Hush slap in the face for fans

The story still is my favorite Batman comic. It felt wrong seeing the graveyard scene changed, I won’t spoil the comic, but it was the reason a certain character was hinted at a return. Not to mention a certain someone being officially dead according to the DC animated universe just seems wrong, especially when Nightwing just fought against him in a one-shot last year. This story really didn’t need a change, I understand that a little change here and there is to make it feel new to those whom have read, but not this, it was just too much.

3 Likes

I mostly get tired of people with negative attitudes. If you didn’t like it go read the comics again. Threads like this do nothing to “fix” anything and reflect badly on community. Zzzz

6 Likes

I mostly get tired of people with negative attitudes. If you didn’t like it go read the comics again. Threads like this do nothing to “fix” anything and reflect badly on community. Zzzz

Yeah…“slap in the face” is a bit melodramatic, this whole post is a bit toxic.

2 Likes

I think the thing is that sometimes a historical character arc is good, but directly translating the book doesn’t work. That’s why adaptions are not copies of the original.

How many times have we seen a film based on a novel only for serious fans of the novel complain, “it’s not the book.” The answer is more often than not.

I always look at adaptations as more “inspired by” or “based off X”, Hush is a good example. Doing a copy of Hush would be very long and probably have poor pacing for film. Yet, there is a way to use the basic idea and/or characteristics and create something similar but different, not unlike when a band “covers” a song and changes the rhythm, tempo and/or a few lyrics.

3 Likes

Hot garbage of a movie, if dc didn’t want any complaints, they should of made the movie two and a half hours long, and depicted it word for word from the comic. Not one fanboy would of complained. But at the same time who cares about us fanboys.

I read the arc when it was released and I watched the movie here. I enjoyed both versions. The fact that we have a top notch animated movie based on the source material nearly 20 yrs later I think is a very good thing. DC makes the best animated superhero movies.

1 Like

@Rounding: To be frank a lot of movies based off of books tend to be butchered versions of the source material and that’s mainly due to the time constraints involved. There simply isn’t enough time to put every little bit of a particular book in the movie version so they trim things down or give lines a character says in the book to some other character. Mostly I’ve learned to accept it. What actually bothers me more is when unnecessary scenes are added to these movies. Things like the sex scene in the Killing Joke for example.

Someone mentioned Under the Red Hood earlier as being another movie that ruined the comic version but to be honest the stuff that was cut made the entire story flow better in the movie , at least in my opinion. It made the movie more streamlined and less verbose. In the case of the movie it was completely unnecessary, for example, to show Bludhaven’s destruction because that was tied to a separate universe-wide comic book storyline that had no connection to the movie’s continuity.

2 Likes

@JasonTodd428: That’s exactly the point I was making about Under the Red Hood, albeit sarcastically. There’s lots of stuff in the comic version of Hush that simply didn’t need to be in the Hush movie. The big one is the faux Jason Todd (since it would take far too much screen time to set that character up just for a fake-out), but there are plenty of other things that the movie wisely cut out to streamline the story. If anything, they left in too much. For instance, Superman and the Joker appear in the movie simply because Superman and Joker appeared in the comic (and let’s be honest: they appeared in the comic primarily so that Jim Lee could have a chance to draw them), and the central mystery could still play out fairly intact even if neither of them showed up in the film.

1 Like

I can definitely see why people were annoyed at the film. Tommy Elliot got shafted. Still, I thought it was a pretty good film in its own right. I doubt I’ll go out of my way to see it again anytime soon, but it’s several steps-up from Son of Batman and Bad Blood.

1 Like

I can see, especially with killing Tommy off, the Joker scene where Batman nearly kills him gave us a sense of depth of Bruce’s emotional tie to Tommy. But I’ll concur that Superman was superfluous.

1 Like

i liked the animated movie. seem to be a lot of spoiled brat dc fans that post here lol. if you didn’t like it watch something else, go read a book, go walk outside …

If you don’t like the movie just read the comic again. It’s not like anybody’s forcing this on you.

3 Likes

I liked the movie in general but as someone who read the comic… the ending was just bizarre. I suppose it was an interesting surprise since it did take everything I knew about the story of Hush and everything I would naturally expect from the ending and twist it around and replace Tommy Elliot with the darkest, edgiest version of The Riddler you could possibly imagine.

Throughout the movie, I was starting to wonder why Tommy was getting such little screen-time and why they didn’t establish anything about his parents or details about his childhood friendship with Bruce and I guess the reason is because they were planning to replace him with Dark Riddler by the end.

In the end, I don’t quite know how to feel about the ending. I haven’t quite processed if I hate it or not.

3 Likes

While I understand where a lot of you are coming from, the story itself benefited from the deviation. I didn’t like the original story much, I felt like it was convoluted (but the art was great; Jim Lee is the bomb). I think there were some cool things that could have been in this version, like the fight with Ra’s, but with the AU continuity and the streamlined story, it makes sense that DC Animation chose to go the route they did.

5 Likes

Perhaps we can all unite on the idea that the Riddler head scar looked dumb.

Also as long as I’m complaining, I’ll throw in some nitpicks. I thought the score was intrusive swelling to such a degree that it overshadowed the animation and dialogue rather than strengthened it. I shouldn’t be thinking about the music during dramatic moments, but it was trying so hard to illicit emotions from me that I couldn’t miss it. Also, replacing Croc with Bane accomplished nothing especially considering it was Venom crazed Bane which may as well have been stupid Croc. What a seemingly pointless choice.

2 Likes

I thought the Riddler was pointless it doesn’t improve the story and unless I’ve missed something it the other animated movies it doesn’t further any other story lines either. I thought most if not all of the changes were pointless but other than the Riddler they didn’t really seem to change anything. All in all I think the Riddler twist plus the lack of a animation style closer to Jim Lee’s art makes Hush a average addition to the DC animated movies.

2 Likes

Looking back I think they should have made Bane hush instead. It would have still been a surprise for fans of the original but it would have completely redeemed there lackluster portrayal of him earlier on in the film.

1 Like

Just looking for a Hush thread. This movie was amazing! One of the best DC has released. I have my usual preferences: they clearly don’t like Dick, I don’t believe in BatCat, the action was too fast at times, the screen too dark a lot. The only real downside to this awesomeness is that the end is kind of weak and they need better animation for people making out. Thank you for cutting out as much DW as possible.

1 Like