It is with great sadness to announce that actor Ed Asner recently passed away.
For those unaware, among Mr. Asner’s storied filmography were several DC-related voice-over credits, including:
- Roland Daggett on Batman: The Animated Series
- Granny Goodness throughout the DC Animated Universe, as well as Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- Hephaestus on Justice League Unlimited
- Kent Nelson on Young Justice
- Mike Cosgrove (of Freakazoid fame) on Teen Titans Go!
It is to the man who was aware of and hated $punk (you Mary Tyler Moore Show fans in the audience will get the reference, and if you haven’t seen The Mary Tyler Moore Show, do check it out, it’s great!), that we dedicate our next Watch-Along to.
What we’re watching:
- Batman: The Animated Series, Season 1, Episode 5: “Feat of Clay, Part 1”
- Batman: The Animated Series, Season 1, Episode 6: “Feat of Clay, Part 2”
- Superman: The Animated Series, Season 2, Episode 27: “Little Girl Lost, Part 1”
- Superman: The Animated Series, Season 2, Episode 28: “Little Girl Lost, Part 2”
Why we’re watching what we’re watching:
Roland Daggett was Ed Asner’s first role in the DC Animated Universe, and made his debut in the BTAS episodes listed above.
Granny Goodness is perhaps Mr. Asner’s best-loved contribution to the DCAU, with the STAS episodes listed above being her debut in the DCAU.
When we’re watching:
- This Saturday, September 4th, at 8 AM Pacific Time/11 AM Eastern Time
How we’re watching:
We start promptly in this thread at the above-listed time. Don’t worry if your feet turn to clay or you get lost, we’ll happily catch you up.
There will be a five minute break between each episode of BTAS.
After “Feat of Clay, Part 2” wraps up, we’ll take a ten minute break to get ready for STAS and to refill our cereal of choice (remember, cereal is a virtual prerequisite for Saturday Morning Watch-Alongs ), tip our hat Mr. Asner’s way and get ready for the DCAU debuts of Granny Goodness and Supergirl in the “Little Girl Lost” two-parter.
We’ll take a five minute break between each part of “Little Girl Lost”, just to ensure that nobody gets lost along the way.
Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series are available on physical and digital home video formats, while streaming in HD on HBO Max. However you choose to watch, please be ready to begin at 8 AM Pacific/11 AM Eastern.
That’s the happs, DCAC! Join me this Saturday, September 4th, as we honor the late Mr. Ed Asner and his initial voiceover work in the DC animation landscape.
Whether you enjoyed him as Lou Grant, various DCAU characters, Mike Cosgrove on Freakazoid and Teen Titans Go!, Carl Fredricksen in “Up!” and/or any of his myriad of other credits, Ed Asner is an acting legend whose legacy will endure for decades to come.