[DC Animated Club] Present: Hilary J. Bader: A Talented writer

For the month of May, we’ll be looking at the life and work of this talented person. Hilary has wrote many great Star Trek episodes for The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager, later she came to Warner Brothers and wrote for Lois & Clark The new Adventures of Superman.
Then her career in animation took flight writing so many episodes of Superman the animated series starting with ‘A little piece of home.’ She also wrote for The Adventures of Batman, Batman Beyond, Zeta’s Project and Gotham Girls. She also wrote comics for Batman Beyond which you can find it here.
Sadly her life was cut short when she passaway of breast cancer in November 2002 at the age of 50, her memory will live on Forever in her works. Here’s a list of shows and episodes she worked on.
Superman The Animated Series
“A Little Piece of Home”
“My Girl”
“Target”
“Action Figures”
“Double Dose”
“The Hand of Fate”
“Prototype”
“Heavy Metal”
“Warrior Queen”
“Where There’s Smoke”
“Absolute Power”
“In Brightest Day…”
“A Fish Story”

The New Batman Adventures
“Cold Comfort”
“You Scratch My Back”
“Mean Seasons”
“The Ultimate Thrill”
“Animal Act”
“Girl’s Night Out”

Batman Beyond
“Golem”
“Meltdown”
“A Touch of Curaré”
“Hidden Agenda”
“Revenant”
“Final Cut”
“The Eggbaby”
“Untouchable”
“Inqueling”

The Zeta’s Project
“His Maker’s Name”
“The Next Gen”
“Shadows”
“Taffy Time”
“Ro’s Gift”

For Gotham Girls, she and Paul Dini wrote all 30 Webisodes, here’s a video of the first webisodes

Each day I’ll be posting a webisode of Gotham Girls.

Throughout the month of May we’ll be looking at her works in comics as, this is just a start. :slightly_smiling_face:

Questions
1.What’s your favorite episode that Hilary wrote from any series?
2. Was there a episode you were suprise that she wrote?
3. Hilary wrote alot of Batman Beyond comics, do you have a favorite she wrote?

6 Likes

The early Years
Hilary J. Bader was born on April 27, 1952 in Brooklyn New York to Jerome and Evelyn Bader.
Her early years are pretty much unknown, on her later years she was a writer intern over at Paramount studio for Star Trek: The Next Generation. She wrote her first TV episode for the series called ‘The Loss’ here’s a trailer for the episode,

I’m guessing that everyone were impressed and like her writing skills, cause she wrote more episodes!
If you would like to see more of her work on Star Trek, you can check it out right on this link, memory alpha

In 1994 Bader wrote her first Superhero show, Lois & Clark The New Adventures of Superman. She only wrote 1 episode for season 2 called, ‘Chi Of Steel’ of course you can find that episode right here on DC Universe. :superman_hv_1:

My two favorite episodes that she wrote are “The Eggbaby” from Batman Beyond and “Battle Lines” from DS9. They are total opposites as far as tone is concerned but they really show off her skills as a writer.

What surprised my wasn’t an episode but one of the series you listed. I wasn’t aware she wrote episodes of Zeta Project.

1 Like

Thankyou for your comment @JasonTodd428! I agree Eggbaby is one of my favorite episode she wrote, as for Star Trek, my favorite episode she wrote from The Next Generation ‘Dark page’ that was sad and really one of the best episode of Deanna Troi’s mother. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello everybody, here’s webisode 2 of Gotham Girls. :slightly_smiling_face: I wonder if @Applejack ever seen this webisode.

1 Like

Hello everybody, here’s episode 3 of Gotham Girls. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Unsurprisingly, I didn’t care much for most of these episodes–since, you know, I can’t stand STAS–but “Action Figures” wasn’t half bad, especially for an amnesia plot.

1 Like

I’m so glad you like the action figure episode. Knowing you’re not a fan of Superman the animated series, hope you’re a fan of Batman Beyond.:slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s webisode 4 of Gotham Girls starring Zatanna!:grinning:

1 Like

Here’s Webisode 5 of Gotham Girls. :slightly_smiling_face:

Um, that’s certainly an interesting still image there to represent the episode.

1 Like

Oh my goodness! I didn’t notice that til now! I’m going to have to delete that! Thankyou @AlexanderKnox. Sorry everybody, I’d like to keep this club a family friendly rating.

For Superman the animated series, if I have to pick three best episodes that Hilary worked on it would be…

1. Prototype, A guy in a robocop suit goes really nuts!
  2. Action Figure, 2 kids make friends with Metallo on a Volcano island!
  3. A little piece of home, Superman deal with Kryptonite for the first time! He even gets to fight a T-Rex.

Next week we’ll look at her work in The New Batman Adventures and her first comic book series, The Batman Adventures: The Lost Years #1-#5.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello everybody, Since DC Universe Library doesn’t have The Batman Adventures: Lost years at this time, here’s some pictures from the comic book. I believe that this was the first time that Hilary J. Bader ever worked on a comic book.:slightly_smiling_face:

41Pt81AV75L.BO1,204,203,200

51r3TnQRrTL.SX327_BO1,204,203,200

71S8AYWR1DL.SX300_BO1,204,203,200.gif
2 episodes was based on this miniseries comics, “Sins of the Father” and “Old Wounds.” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Really cool to see this tribute. The only thing I knew about Bader was that every time I saw her name in the STAS credits, it was a really good episode. It’s a shame she passed. What a talented writer.

1 Like

Thankyou for your comment and I couldn’t agree more.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello everybody here’s my top. 3 pick for best episodes that Hilary J. Bader wrote for The New Batman Adventures. :slightly_smiling_face:

1. Girl’s Night Out: Batgirl and Supergirl team up to go against Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and Livewire!
  2. You Scratch My Back: Catwoman and Nightwing team up to stop the smuggling racket.
  3. Mean Season: Calendar girl is on a revenge path by kidnapping those who rejected her, can Batman and Batgirl stop her in time?
    Please feel free to leave a comment which episodes you like the best. Next week we’ll look at her works on Batman Beyond, both in show and comics!:grinning:

Those are two of my favorite episodes as well.

1 Like

Hello everybody,
My top 3 pick for best episodes that Hilary J. Bader work on for Batman Beyond are…

1. Eggbaby
  2. Final Cut
  3. Meltdown

She also wrote quite a bit of Batman Beyond comic books, they are here in the DC Library, be sure to check it out.:grinning:
She wrote for both the miniseries and the regular series.

I’m a super big fan of Deep Space 9. I find that incredible to know of her writing talents, such a great show. My favorite DC thing of hers would probably be batman beyond. RIP :heart:

1 Like