DC Animated Club Present: Batman The Animated Series Watch Along, Every Saturday Morning 9:00am PST/12:00pm EST

I saw it on VHS, and the director’s cut was a bit of an adjustment as a result. I was like, “Why is this movie so quiet all of a sudden?”

But poor Harrison Ford sounds even less enthusiastic in that voiceover than he does in the Holiday Special.

2 Likes

Arkham Asylum? Amygdala? Where is Alan Grant when you need him?

2 Likes

The Joker, right? He’s the one who poisons the water supply.

2 Likes

I feel bad for Batman in this episode.

2 Likes

“The hallucinations were getting stronger. I suddenly imagined myself as Admiral Ackbar.”

2 Likes

“I was raving, incoherent.”

insert obligatory Grant Morrison comment here

And good on Bart for keeping the secret identity alive.

2 Likes

Jack Napier reference!

1 Like

Bart, is what Batman is saying about this plot REALLY so crazy?

And I think this is the only time that they mention the name Jack Napier in the show.

2 Likes

Also, the orderly with Bart looks JUST like Bruce. Is it just me?

2 Likes

But Mask of the Phantasm does show that the Joker used to be a mobster, so BTAS is weirdly Burtonverse-adjacent.

2 Likes

Henchman: So you set Batman up?

Scarecrow:

2 Likes

“I sense a retelling of the Wayne murders!”

2 Likes

I love how the censors said they couldn’t so the Waynes being shot, so they made up sequences that are probably even more fear inducing to children.

1 Like

Fun fact: the Wayne murders were first depicted outside of the comics in another animated series (the last incarnation of Super Friends).

2 Likes

Props to Bart for actually checking on Scarecrow, but yeah, saying Arkham has tight security is…pretty funny.

2 Likes

Actually, now that I think about it, how many escapes have we seen in BTAS?

2 Likes

I think this is probably the best/creepiest Scarecrow design in the first three seasons of this series.

2 Likes

It is interesting that both Super Friends and BTAS decided that the Scarecrow was the perfect excuse to bring in the dead parents. (BTAS even did it more than once: gotta love giant floating skeleton Thomas Wayne!)

2 Likes

I kinda have a soft spot for Potato Sack Scarecrow from his first appearance, though. :wink:

1 Like

You can always tell when they couldn’t get the voice actors for the other rogues in.

2 Likes