DC Animated Club Meets Hanna-Barbera

“YABBA DABBA DOO!!!”
“I’m smarter then the average bear!”
“Jane, stop this crazy thing!!!”
If these quotes sound familiar to you, chances are you have watch these classic cartoons from Hanna-Barbera.
In the next 2 months we’ll be looking at all things Hanna-Barbera. Here’s a rundown what to expect this month…
Week 1: History Of Hanna-Barbera
Week 2: The Flintstone
Week 3: The Jetson
Week 4: Scooby-Doo Team-up

And that’s only a beginning!:smiley:
We’ll be looking at comics that are based on a series.
So let’s get started!
Here’s a pictures of the two men themselves that started all…
220px-William_Hanna_1977
(William Hanna: 1910-2001)
220px-JBarbera
(Joseph Barbera: 1911-2006)

Here’s a video on the history of Hanna-Barbera, it’s in 5 parts. :0_scooby_doo_1:

Next week we’ll be looking at The Flintstone both comics and the original series! :grinning:

Questions
Here’s some questions, feel free to answer them if you like.:slightly_smiling_face:

1. What’s your favorite Hanna-Barbera cartoon show & movie?
  2. Who’s your favorite character?
  3. What’s your favorite comic on DC Universe Infinite that’s based on Hanna-Barbera?
    :0_batman_tas:

Be sure to check back next week as we look at The Flintstone, both comic and the original TV series.:grinning:

:0_scooby_doo_1:

Now that’s done, it’s time for lunch… where did it go?! :thinking:
AnimatedCourteousHorsefly-size_restricted
tumblr_822557cfe7a5dd85028de9fe13a42ddd_76001ebf_500

10 Likes

Nifty-pifty!

Here’s a neat HB to DC connection: McFarlane Toys, current proprietor of the DC Multiverse toy line, made Hanna-Barbera figures around the mid 00s.

Here’re a few items from the line:

Jonny Quest

Penelope Pitstop

Tom and Jerry (rocking out to Metal and Death Metal well over a decade early? Maybe.)

Tom and Jerry: No Trespassing

Tom and Jerry v3

“Caaaptaaaain Caaaaaaavemaaaan!”

Hong Kong Phooey

Fred on his chopper (he could ride to Sturgess along with Death Metal Batman on his Batcycle)

Quick Draw McGraw

Magilla Gorilla

Fred and Dino

Fred and his cruiser

Onto your questions!

Tough one! From the vintage stuff, the original Jonny Quest. More modern-ish, The Pirates of Dark Water.

Of course, Super Friends is a favorite as well. Especially the last two seasons, which tied into the Super Powers merchandising push of the time.

Favorite movie? Offhand, I’d say Jonny’s Golden Quest.

Space Ghost. Gary Owens kicked ass in that role. “Spaaace Ghoooost!”

This. Its everything a HB fan could ever want in a comic book.

6 Likes

I hope all those pictures are of your toys @Vroom. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Nice! This is going to be fun!

Easily Tom and Jerry. I hold this duo close to my heart. Also, a character from the cartoons shared the same name as a lost loved one, and I guess that’s always stuck with me?

This is hard… both Tom and Jerry are on this list, I’d count em, but also… I’m fond of Yogi. Also, the Flintstones (and Neighbors) are pretty great.

Flintstones is surprisingly incredible.

4 Likes

Awesome toys collections @Vroom!

@SuperBlueGrodd did you see the new Tom & Jerry movie? I thought it was really good! :grinning:

5 Likes

These folks were the Rulers of TV back when I was growing up in the late 50s early 60s, at least to me is a preteen kid. Just the audacity of having cartoons that were appealing to adults during Primetime TV like The Flintstones and The Jetsons was something we really didn’t see again for many decades.

I’ve been going a little crazy trying to locate a picnic tablecloth game that I was given as like a five-year-old featuring Hanna Barbera characters with all kinds of little mini games and I just can’t find it anywhere. It was a yellow tablecloth with red colored games. It had little plastic profile character heads that you use for playing.

I’m not sure if it came with the set, but I also recall an ink stamp set that featured the various Hanna-Barbera characters …as I say, they ruled back when I grew up.

1. Fav series: the three-way tie between The Flintstones The Jetsons and Jonny Quest, with series like Space Ghost and The Herculoids not far behind.

2. Fav character: A tie between Yogi Bear and Barney.

3. I got to say The Flintstones series recently was astonishing. I’ve been watching the controversial Mark Russell real close like ever since.

5 Likes

Yep!
Overall, I liked it! Didn’t exactly care for the random hotel plot that was thrown in and took the priority over whatever T + J were doing in the end, though, but what can ya do.

3 Likes

Nope, not mine. I don’t own a one of those, nor have I. All of those pictures are from eBay.

While I liked McFarlane’s HB line when it was at retail, I wasn’t interested in the more statue-esque nature of his pieces, so I passed on the entire line.

That Jonny Quest was mighty tempting, though. Every time I saw him at Toys R Us, I thought to myself “Self, should I buy him today?”, but I was good and passed on him.

Fun Fact: I’m watching HB’s Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians. Few things are as sweet as vintage Saturday morning cartoons, especially vintage Hanna-Barbera 'toons.

4 Likes

Favorite Show or Movie- I love the old stuff but for movies there wasn’t as much as I was thinking :thinking:. So probably The Flintstones & Scoob (Haven’t seen the new Tom & Jerry yet).
Favorite Character- Gotta be Wonder Twins.

Unless non that much DC involvement, Captain Caveman (I’m fond of & Son as well).

Favorite Barbera-Based Comic- haven’t read many but Scooby-Doo Apocalypse was great. Halfway thru Flintstones (great) & Snagglepuss been on list forever. I know it earned a few Eisners. Just been saving it.

2 Likes

Those are incredible!!! Gonna need more shelves…

3 Likes

Snag me a couple, will you please? I’ll pay you in Dr. Pepper and Jolly Jacks.

3 Likes

You have a deal. Mr. Pibb also acceptable if it’s under half the total amount…

3 Likes

Mr. Pibb, the soda that screams “Are you sure you don’t have Dr. Pepper in this fine dining establishment?”.

3 Likes

It’s definitely got a little more bite & sting to it. Not as sweet…?

3 Likes

Dr. Pepper is likely the drink of choice for Team Quest and Team Venture.

3 Likes

I’d say 𝑴𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆𝒍𝒚 tbh.

3 Likes

Here’s my answer.

4 Likes
  1. I’d definitely have to say Scooby-Doo is my favorite. I love all of HB though, but something special about Scooby-Doo. I feel like watching that as a kid turned me into a horror fan as an adult. As far as favorite movie, tough one. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island?

2. I’d have to say my favorite character from Scooby-Doo…That’s real tough. I love the gang equally, so I’m going to choose a villain. Definitely Captain Cutler, the Ghost Diver! I also love Tom & Jerry and Johnny quest.

1. I really liked all of the HB Beyond comics, even Wacky Raceland. Future Quest was cool.

Also, just finished the YouTube videos…I thought I knew a fair amount about HB…Definitely didn’t. Learned a lot. Also in the first video, when he mentions the Simpsons being long running…I was like when was this video released? Went back and saw ten years ago. LOL. Simpsons…still going.

4 Likes

I’m glad they kept the animated design for T&J in the movie. I was worried they were going to try and make them photorealistic, and that wouldn’t have worked.

4 Likes

Agreed.
I definitely am glad they didn’t go in that direction… actually probably contributes to my enjoyment of the movie :sweat_smile:. What drew me in is that I looked like a Tom and Jerry cartoon that just happened to be live action and longer lol.

4 Likes