DC and Walmart Team Up for 'My First Comic' Program!

Welcome back to the community and thanks for the glowing review :heart_eyes:!

It’s true that DCUI is a much cheaper alternative and I, personally, love it. There is so much here for me to read and it’s so great for newcomers who are wary of spending a lot of money on separate comic issues or even series.

7 Likes

I’m all for more Looney Tunes content.

5 Likes

This is a great idea, but at $4.97… I don’t think it will work. It will probably be a big hit the first few months (mostly from collectors trying to snag the product), but with kids? For $4.97, a kid can grab a pack of Pokemon cards, spend that on some mobile game, maybe even get a toy… This is still too pricey. I don’t know the fix, but maybe $0.99 might fly. Use newspaper type paper for the interior, and just let it ride.

5 Likes

I remember picking up issues of Amethyst, Blue Devil, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Secret War at a grocery store.

6 Likes

Oh… So that’s where they put all the good comics! I knew it! :triumph:

Agreed!

5 Likes

Hot take. Your first comic book shouldn’t have lebrons stupid face on it.

Jordan forever!

5 Likes

Mine was at an IGA as well. Complete with manager keeping an eye on kids so they weren’t reading them.

Of course, my first comic cost a quarter.

4 Likes

We were lucky with our IGA in that the manager didn’t hover around and make sure kids weren’t reading the comics! Anyway, my first comic book was a quarter too.

5 Likes

I was so enamored by the comics at my IGA that I didn’t even think to look for a “This isn’t a library, kid!”-style manager hovering around.

Of course, I was 8 then, so looking for management wasn’t on my mind. I’m pretty sure the manager(s) had better things to do with their time than watch me peruse comics. Oddly enough, I never saw anyone else look at comics when I would. I always had the section to myself.

Regarding the My First Comic books, I haven’t seen these on eBay, or in-person, yet. Usually when DC would state a street date for Walmart product (such as the Giants), they would always show up on-shelf a few days early. I guess this date is being more enforced than others were.

Still, I’ve got the 3rd circled on my mental calendar, as I’m curious to see these books in person (and maybe snag the display box with it’s snazzy Hush Batman, if the opportunity should arise :slight_smile: ).

4 Likes

Happy DC Anniversary @IssacBrown! :partying_face::cake::tada::confetti_ball:

5 Likes

The price point on these kind of disappoints me compared to the last Walmart initiative.

4 Likes

I remember picking up Justice League of America Annual #2 (The Detroit League), and a few LoSH digests at a Piggly Wiggly in the early 80s. Not my first comics, but some of the best comic buying experiences. Unless the prices can fit correctly into today’s hierarchy of entertainment, then this will be a 2-3 month experiment and done. We are going to have to figure out how to get back to that 0.99 a book price point, without sacrificing page count.

3 Likes

I’d say $1.99 at the very least.

$2.99 at the most

3 Likes

I went looking for these on the 3rd and…no dice.

Of course, the copy does read that they’ll be available starting the week of August 3rd, so maybe I’m just too eager.

The search continues!

3 Likes

A lot of these programs have not been in every Walmart, but instead in “selected Walmarts”.

4 Likes

Yeah, didn’t see any copies this week at the Wally World by my house, but they haven’t gotten much in the way of any new DC Comics in a while. I’ll probably hit up another one that is pretty good about having that stuff.

3 Likes

Yep, just like the 100-Page Giants and comic bundles.

Walmarts with a trading card section up front: paydirt!

Walmarts without a trading card section up front: Jack and ****, and Jack left town.

Oddly, on the Google Maps deal on DC’s site, only one Walmart close to me showed as carrying the flip books.

Yet, several close to me carried the Giants and do carry the bundles.

I’ll probably pop by a few of my stores that have the bundles and see if they got it in the flip books.

4 Likes

Great now I need to find some kid to take so I can buy myself comics

3 Likes