DC Adventures or Mutants and Masterminds

After watching all star games I really want to do a rpg in the DC universe. Now I’ve heard just get the DC Adventures and I’ll be good but I’ve seen alot of people say just get Mutants and Masterminds that it’s basically the same system but creatively more flexible. So does anyone have any advice on which to get? Has anyone played a DC tabletop? I’m still pretty new on tabletop RPGs only ever playing dnd.

My understanding is that the two are mechanically identical. But also note that DC Adventures is no longer in publication, so it’ll also be harder to find than M&M.

1 Like

I’ve been playing DC Adventures for many years now, and thoroughly enjoy it. If you can find the core book, the universe book, and the two character books, I’d highly recommend them.

1 Like

How old is the DC Adventures book would some characters be outdated?

It goes back to about 2013, so everything’s more or less up to speed. You won’t find, like, Jessica Cruz, or Jon Kent, or The Batman Who Laughs, but they’re homebrewed easily enough.

1 Like

Thank you for all the good info! Is the system pretty easy to learn?

There have been other versions of a DC rpg, but the most recent one was published under license by Green Ronin, who had previously published two editions of Mutants & Masterminds. The third edition of that game was published simultaneously with a DC rpg, and the rules were basically identical, though more focused on the DCU.

In lieu of character classes, the system uses character level as power level, giving you points to build your character based on starting power level, which can be scaled up or down depending on your campaign. Power Level 10 tends to be the default; such a hero would not be out of place in the Justice League, but Power Level 8 could be used for a “street level” campaign, or perhaps to represent younger heroes who’ve yet to realize their full potential.

The M&M system has always been a modified D20 system, much like Dungeons & Dragons 3.0/3.5, and if you’re familiar with that or with Pathfinder, you’ll likely pick it up pretty quickly; though 3rd edition continues the trend of taking it further away from that root. For example, the 3rd edition rules do away with ability scores as used in the original D&D, choosing to only use ability score modifiers instead.

2 Likes

Wow thank you so much I really appreciate all this great info! I’m still a little new to rpg’s and really want to get into it more and the superhero focus interests me the most.

1 Like