Dawn of DC

Looking forward to seeing what new books we get in January. My guess is a New JLA & Titans. Hopefully we get a new Green Lantern and Aquaman ongoing as well!

4 Likes

For post future state, there was no Hal Jordan title and no Barry Allen title. Also no Hawkman title. Hopefully, Dawn means not just lots of batman related titles.

5 Likes

I hope we get a red hood on going

2 Likes

I think Red Hood is mainly going to be in the Joker ongoing

2 Likes

Give the line some actual diversity. I bet that The Next Batman is going to end in 2023

2 Likes

why? have you heard something about redhood being in joker?

DC literally said in their December solitations that Red Hood is going to show up to hunt Joker

1 Like

Just want to echo that, not that it is a new take. It bugs me that DC keeps just falling back on the reboot crutch every few years. Maybe I am just looking at the time I became a hardcore fan with rose tinted nostalgia goggles. But while I loved comics for as long as I can remember, I became a comic store regular and true comic collector/fan in the mid 80ā€™s only a couple years into the Post-Crisis era of DC Comics. And while they did tweak it with some quasi-soft reboots, and retroactively changed continuity so it was far from a streamlined air tight continuity. But they stuck with it, it was basically the status quo for decades. And when they wanted something new they wrote it in.

Now every few years they just have some huge world changing event that breaks the status quo before fans really got a chance to get used to the current setting (especially in modern comics, where a storyline averages around 6 issues, so a character gets 3 or 4 stories then everything dramatically changes again.)

I am far from a continuity nerd and donā€™t place the value on a comic story all on if the continuity is tight. And I get event comics make money and the comic boom is long behind us so they got to do things differently.

But it just comes off lazy the second books are not selling or things even start to get stale their solution is to hit a reset button. If a book is floundering hire a new writer and tell them to make it work. But I donā€™t think fans benefit from ā€œthese books are not going over wellā€¦ hit the reset button and start overā€ every few years.

4 Likes

Most of the big events just involve some retcons rather than reboots of many characters. The 1st dc reboot was Showcase 4 which erased the adventures of Jay Garrick on the default earth and on the default earth, the adventures of Jay Garrick were just comic books being read by Barry Allen. This also probably meant that all of the golden age stories got erased on the default earth. The 2nd reboot was Crisis On Infinite Earths (which moved the justice society to the default earth) altho some characters were not affected that much such as Batman, Green Lantern Corps, Titans, Outsiders. The 3rd reboot was the New 52 reboot which was sort of a return to the silver age with Barry Allen being young and not married (Batman and Green Lantern Corps were not affected much by the reboot). New 52 reboot erased justice society history on the default earth so it was very similar to the effect of Showcase 4. The 4th reboot was a slow retroboot to bring back much of history that was lost and this happened slowly from around the start of Rebirth up to Doomsday Clock 12 which restored justice society history on the default earth, basically undoing much of the New 52 reboot. After much history was restored, Barry Allen is already married with kids, Wally West is also already married with kids, just like before the new 52 reboot.

3 Likes

thank you for the info

2 Likes

We have our first news about the shape of this relaunch!

I was wrong that itā€™s starting in March, but mostly because the way theyā€™ve rolled this out is super weird! For a January launch, I expect an October at least announcement. But a lot of really cool stuff coming!

We already knew about Action, Superman, and Jonman.

Doom Patrol, by the guy who drove Future State into Hell (literally). Not excited at all. But I never was gonna be excited about a Doom Patrol book, so not my circus.

Round Robin #2 winner Superboy finally has a release date, very exciting!
Tamaki is going from Tec to Green Lantern: Hal Jordan. Iā€™m actually somewhat interested in this after her Tec run! Still donā€™t like GLs, though. And a GL: John Stewart book. Meh. Wish we could get a Kyle book. or a Kyle and Jade book!
In the least surprising (except for how long it took) news ever, Williamson is doing Green Arrow. Nice!

Brave and the Bold Batman Anthology with A-list talent coming. PLEASE BE BETTER THAN URBAN LEGENDS. PLEASE. I AM BEGGING YOU.

Cyborg title. Hmm. No one attached.

Waid gets Shazam with Dan Mora. I really hope that he keeps the family. Iā€™m tired of them being depowered.

Tom King Penguin miniseries coming with a new to King artist. Interesting. Hope itā€™s not as wacked out as his Riddler story ending.

Steelworks sounds pretty cool! Shoulda come a while ago with the Superman and Lois show, but itā€™s here now!

People on twitter are complaining about ā€œmore Bat-booksā€, but thereā€™s only one in this lineup, soā€¦what the heck, people on twitter? Thereā€™s actually a ton of really cool DC Universe stuff. I just hope we donā€™t lose Batgirls, Black Adam, and The Flash, my current favorite books!

ok, I guess the Penguin comic is technically another Batman comic. But still. Thatā€™s just 2!

9 Likes

Yes, Hal is back!!!

4 Likes

Iā€™m super, super interested to see what Tamaki does with him! She really surprised me with her Detective Comics run!

4 Likes

It is Green Lantern. Messing them up is hard.

3 Likes

Hopefully there will be Hawkman and Hawkwoman, Aquaman, Flash Barry Allen, Wonder Woman Nubia. For teams, maybe Justice League Unlimited led by Nightwing, a Teen Titans, Infinity Inc for younger legacies. For golden age, a new All-Star Squadron. For 31st century Legion, I prefer to do them in the 21st century working similar to 21st century heroes with secret identities as high school students (the best legion era was when legionnaires were high school age and the writer was a real high school student). Post Crisis was the best time for new titles with new titles for lots of dc icons and also charlton heroes like peacemaker, sarge steel, peter cannon thunderbolt.

3 Likes

I think Hawkman is very unlikely, both because they are currently both on the JSA (I think), but also because the last series sold so poorly, even though DC let it go for 6 extra issues because of a loyal and passionate audience.

Flashā€¦they are double shipping the book in January and February, will have to see if sales are strong enough for a second book.

Aquamanā€¦they really, really screwed the pooch with launching four Aquaman family titles at basically the same time. The market just isnā€™t there for it. Same with Wonder Woman Nubia - the idea of a big crossover of Wonder Woman titles is cool, but the market wonā€™t sustain four books in that line currently. You need to build up to it, not just drop them.

Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™ll build to a JL title for sure. Until the current JSA miniseries is over (end of next year), I seriously doubt weā€™ll see any more golden age stuff. Legion - they are working on two media projects with the Legion, so that might get a title.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Under the May column are symbols for Brave And The Bold, and Hawkman. The May column also has the shazam symbol but looks like shazam got moved to June instead. June column is not shown but June does have Steelworks.

3 Likes

As much as Iā€™d love to see Peter Cannon, this might be tough. Unlike the other Charlton characters, Peter Cannonā€™s ownership rights are in the hands of the family of his creator, Peter Morisi. DC had to license him when they published him in the 90ā€™s and let the license lapse when his book didnā€™t sell. Thatā€™s why heā€™s been published by Dynamite in recent years.

2 Likes

Intriguing!!!

2 Likes