Dawn of DC

We now have two more titles with Steelworks finally having a confirmed creative team:

Wonder-woman by Tom King Tom and artist Daniel Sampere

Steelworks by Michael Dorn and artist Sami Basri

Hawkgirl by Jadzia Axelrod with art from Amancay Nahuelpan

Hawkgirl is going to be interesting. I won’t lie. I had strong opinions about Kendra Saunders Hawkgirl. :smile:

It’s usually just my personal animosity toward the character association with the Justice league team rather than in more Justice society books, as well as my apathy towards her relationship with Martian Manhunter. Which in my opinion, is an relationship that is both odd and boring.

I would say I am only interested because writer Jadzia Axelrod is involved. I really enjoy reading Galaxy: The Prettiest Star and from what I hearing from other comic news sites, Jadzia will feature the character in Hawkgirl.

Now that alone is going to be enough for me to check it out. Likewise the artist Amancay Nahuelpan is also really good as well.

1 Like

I do think Amancay Nahuelpan is really, really good - excited to see him getting more books!

1 Like

I am sure you guys are wondering what I think of the recently announced Hawkgirl series, thus I will give it now.

“A brand-new adventure with sky-high action, adventure, and intrigue” In other words water is wet. The sky is Blue. A is A.

“Kendra Saunders, the winged warrior better known as Hawkgirl” I would prefer Shayera leads it, but I love Kendra too. Kendra is the darker character of the two. I think Kendra has a higher ceiling as the lead, but also a way lower floor.

“Kendra decides she needs a fresh start and heads to Metropolis to begin a new life” I can name hordes of places where it would make more sense for her to go than Metropolis like Midway City or just down the block in St. Roch. All I am gathering is they do not have faith they will not be forcing Superman crossovers. She seems like the type of person who would prefer to live outside the actual city and just fly there to be a superhero than actually live in it. Kendra is a extroverted loner who really needs her alone time.

“That life is quickly interrupted by a mysterious villain with a powerful connection to the Nth Metal that makes up Hawkgirl’s wings and weapons.”
So We are rereading The Savage Hawkman? Who is going to be the villain again?

" Hawkgirl will also feature a series of variant covers that recount Kendra’s DC history." I just know I am going to constantly like these more than the actual covers.

I am sure I will buy the first few issues at worst case scenario.

1 Like

Very excited for Hawkgirl & Steelworks! Both will definitely be added to my pulllist!

Super bummed Jeremy Adams is leaving the Flash though, his run has been phenomenal!! That said though I’m willing to give Si Spurrier a chance.

Also not sure about Tom King on Wonder Woman. I love king’s Black Label books. Human Target is a modern classic imo, but his main canon books are very hit & miss. I mean sure he gave us the Awesome Supergirl: Woman of Tommorow. But he also gave us Heroes in Crisis, arguably one of the worst books DC has ever published, well third worst, Amazons Attack & Countdown are still much worse I suppose. :laughing:

But yeah I sadly just don’t trust King with Diana.

2 Likes

Superboy 1 by Joe Quinones

1 Like

I love this. The Bibbos sign, Black Canary rock poster, and the Titanz like gorillaz poster - plus Kon’s attitude. It’s so fun!

1 Like

My favorite touch is crossing out the symbols for the Eradicator, Steel and Cyborg Superman leaving just his.

3 Likes

Nice, a very Kid move!

1 Like

Captain America has competition.

1 Like

Sigh, well, I got a bit thrown off personally seeing they were all one-shots except for , I think, We were once Gods, so I started off reading out of order like the second release. and realized there was a reading order when there was the asterix that said, look back at the other issue or something or other and i was like RAWR.

So I wish it was just a series, instead of labeling the Lazarus Planet issues one-shots.

Also, I read Lazarus Planet, Krypton, and was extremely confused, as I was expecting from the title, that it had something to do with the Planet Krypton, which I guess it sorta did if you count the ties to Superman, but I mean if we are going to go that route, why not name it Awesome Red Boots because at one point Superman wore red boots.

Shrugs

I will have to wait till next year or later this year for the Titans release in TPB cause I am already spending too much a month as it is on my subscriptions.

1 Like

2023 superboy 1 by baldemar rivas

4 Likes

green arrow family by sean izaakse. Connor Hawke is green arrow again just like in pre flashpoint.

3 Likes

First of all, I loved seeing Hawkman in the two page Dawn of DC ad in this week’s Lazarus Planet: Revenge of the Gods #2! Can’t wait to see which title he surfaces in and hope he’s back for a long while to come!

Second - some very cool looking ads for different characters Dawn of DC books in that same issue:

Starting to feel like something big is coming and I’m loving the way they are promoting and building this!

2 Likes

I’m more excited about this than anything marvel comics is doing right now. Seriously, who wants another symbiote event, watch the X-men fall again, The Avengers discover “an missing moment” and don’t get me started on spider-man right now. You want to see something rise, not stagnant or fall down, so someone can bring back a status quo.

All I want from DC comics is just one year where they avoid another crisis event.

1 Like

The only big coordinated thing I can feel coming is the Zdarsky/Howard Batman/Catwoman crossover. Zdarsky has been talking about this for a year, so it’s not a surprise, but it sounds like it’s coming in the Fall after Knight Terrors. It’s possible other things are coming, but it feels unlikely, as Tom King doesn’t work well with other writers unless it’s a very unusual situation like Grayson. Spurrier has proved he can coordinate well with Ram V doing the backups to Detective Comics, but Flash was already coordanating extremely well between Jeremy Adams and Josh Williamson (yes, I’m still extremely frustrated and sad that Adams is being forced off the title).

1 Like

2023 detective comics 1070 vigil by stefano raffaele

2 Likes

Who’s going to be following the Knight Terror event in its entirety?

• Me
  • Not me
  • I don’t know

0 voters

1 Like

For the chance we may get sandman references

1 Like

Can someone give me a breakdown on all the confirmed Dawn of DC titles?

1 Like