Dawn of DC: Unstoppable Doom Patrol

Unstoppable Doom Patrol is out and available on Ultra. Got any thoughts, sure you do, drop them here.

9 Likes

Culver and Burnham have added a worthy chapter to the weirdest superhero team of all time.
I’m a fan of the detailed art, subtle humor and message that the current system fails too many with meta genes :dna:.
As for the team, this is my first intro to Beast Girl (her first issue) but she has the promise of being a favorite

5 Likes

This has the promise of being another truly great DP book in the team’s history. I’m curious to see if they will explain how Jane’s “Chief” personality came to be, what actually pushed the others to come together for their new team goal, and what kind of a connection Niles has to this team

5 Likes

Question: Do we know what happened to Niles?

6 Likes

Bought #1 when it dropped and I really enjoyed it. Definitely a fun read.

#2 was also a flexing good time, as it features Flex Mentallo.

3 Likes

I really like the look at the way that Metahumans are treated in DC. They are leaning into the “knock off X-Men” (I say with a lot of affection) thing in a really interesting way. The X-Men were built with Mutant oppression in mind, but the Doom Patrol tackling Meta Human Oppression makes us look at the entire history of the DC Universe in a different light. We have to look hard at how our favorite heroes have treated other Meta Humans. It’s definitely their but we’ve been complacent in it until now. Very Interesting.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community.

Niles was eaten alive by chihuahuas.

3 Likes

I don’t, and what’s up with Steve Dayton?

3 Likes

100% agree, New Chief/Jane calling Batman out was a really strong part of the story

4 Likes

I finally got around to reading issue #1 on Ultra, and there are definitely things to like here. It didn’t really feel like Morrison’s Doom Patrol, but I should note that its lead in is very similar to the lead in of Morrison’s Doom Patrol run. Morrison’s Patrol was kicked off by the Invasion! event after the Gene Bomb went off creating a large number of new metahumans. Unstoppable Doom Patrol is kicked off by Lazarus Planet where events have lead to the creation of a large number of new metahumans. I thought that was an interesting similarity between the runs.

That being said, Unstoppable Doom Patrol feels more like this:

This is well-said! It’s long been theorized that DC created the Doom Patrol in response to Marvel’s X-Men. Though that has been denied over the years, it’s hard to deny the similarities between two teams of super powered misfits lead by a scientist in a wheelchair. It’s also hard to deny the similarities between DC’s metahumans and Marvel’s mutants. Unstoppable Doom Patrol seems set to make use of these similarities as it moves forward.

There was quite a bit I enjoyed from this issue. First, I second this:

And would say it was the strongest part of the story. I’m also a big fan of Chris Burnham’s art and feel that it works perfectly for this series. I’m curious as to where Jane’s Chief persona came from and to learn the origins of Beast Girl. I liked that Beast Girl’s powers had this chemical/instinctual control over the animal parts of the brain which stands in contrast to Beast Boy’s more physical abilities of animal mimicry. Finally, I was really into how the “monster” listened to Cliff’s emotional, passionate plea only to be like: “No, man, I’m just a jerk and I like it.” I think he’ll be a solid addition to the team. So, yeah, it’s safe to say I enjoyed the first issue.

3 Likes

The Moth weighs in!

2 Likes

I did it for the Doom!

2 Likes

I Love it, I am subscribed through my LCS, the first issue, in Gotham, and them putting Batman on the sideline, with Robin laughing, omg too much. Was surprised with the appearance of PeaceMaker in the following issue, more surprised at how he pointed out that he didn’t botch the mission and he was right.

I absolutely love The Doom Patrol and how they rake the strange, weird, and misfits, and put their talents to good use and give them purpose.

3 Likes

Its also long been theorized that X-Men was a rip-off of Doom Patrol, especially since they both debuted in 1963, with X-Men coming along mere months after Doom Patrol’s debut.

I don’t subscribe to that theory, but it is interesting to note that X-Men does indeed bear some remarkable similarities to Doom Patrol.

While Robotman is usually my favorite DP member, I have to say that Beast Girl stole the show in #1.

2 Likes

Finally read issue 2 and things are still pretty good. I’ll admit I was concerned when I heard that Niles was back, him still being around the team despite everything revealed during Morrison’s run was always an issue. But at least this issue addresses that concern, showing that he is working for them but they clearly don’t trust him. We’ll see how things progress on that front in further issues.

Also, Cliff going out to Dorothy’s grave was heartbreaking. But this issue is also a low-key loving shout-out to everything the DP has gone through

2 Likes

Issue #2 on Ultra now. Um, wow, okay. Anyway after that reaction to just reading it, I love the use of the old school cutout image of the headquarters. As a kid I would study those things. The writing remains 1st rate. Pathos, humor, intrigue.

3 Likes

Who here is holding onto hope that UDP gets a last minute upgrade to an ongoing series?

1 Like

We could only hope, or at least extend

1 Like

I just went and double checked something. Issues 2 and 3 indicated it was “X of 6” but the 4th issue that was just uploaded says “X of 7” - an extension!

1 Like

It’s a start, #4 is downloaded and ready to read tomorrow

1 Like