Dark Crisis - Preview & Discussion of DCs Major Comic Event for 2022

If that is the case than…Woah.

Honestly I would imagine poor Guy Gardner tragic end in Tom King’s Human Target would be included in that new multiverse.
Alongside the new recontextualized history of John Ridley Other history of the DC universe.

3 Likes

This is what the third or fourth time we have gotten a new multiverse? Its just beating a dead horse

2 Likes

Dark crisis big bang guide book written by mark waid who i have stories about him in comic book shops when he lived in Tampa bay one of the artists is dan Jurgens

3 Likes

Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice League-Wonder Woman was…okay.

I liked Diana’s armor design, and the overall art was nice.

The Amazons abandoning Earth for a different planet and in what looked like a retrofitted nuke?

That’s where the tale lost me.

The Amazons wouldn’t just up and run, because they’re not cowards.

They might turn a blind eye to Man’s World, but they wouldn’t blow town (or the planet, to be more accurate), either.

The Martian Manhunter story? That was pretty schway, and I would definitely like a figure of Lovecraftian J’onn.

Looking forward to The Flash and Dark Crisis: Young Justice (both of which have been my fav DC tie-ins on a near-equal basis) next week.

4 Likes

Very interesting thoughts! I’ve been kinda this way and that way on these Worlds Without A Justice League spinoffs - I thought the Superman one was pretty great, but wasn’t super impressed with Green Lantern. Given my extremely negative reaction to Howard’s Catwoman currently, I probably won’t check out the Wonder Woman one until it hits on DCUI here. Same with Spurrier and Batman. I am kind of excited about Stephanie Phillips’s Green Arrow story, though! I have been enjoying a lot of her stuff (though not the recent Harley Quinn event), and her Road to Dark Crisis story with Steph and Nocturna was really fun!

4 Likes

Pretty much how I feel about Tini Howard writing in general :laughing:.

Great designs, art is nice, dull storytelling.
I read her books but only because I am curious where they lead.
Although she did tell a exceptionally great one with Marvel with a Elsa Bloodstone tie-in during that death of doctor strange storyline.

4 Likes

I kind of feel the same way. I tried to reconcile why Diana’s idealized world would involve the Amazons abandoning earth, and the only answer I could come up with is this is how she discovers she’s in a false reality. We’ll see.

I actually feel like Wonder Woman’s main continuity stories have been in somewhat of a downward trend, at least for me. Current run started strong with all the world hopping & what have you, but now I feel like it’s just meandering with no sense of urgency or stakes. Hope this is rectified post Dark Crisis.

5 Likes

I’ve been writing all the “ideal world” summaries in this thread, and Wonder Woman’s was the hardest because the plot wasn’t entirely clear. The best I could come up with regarding what happened was that Wonder Woman had Dr. Psycho chained in the Well of Souls to prevent some sort of man-made disaster or war. She either blocked this from her memory out of guilt or because that was part of the bargain she made with the gods. Learning about it probably meant the deal was broken and the disaster was back on…? Which is why the Amazons fled. I would agree that The Amazons leaving Earth is out of character. The only way this would be acceptable is if they were convinced that, without the bargain, man’s world was headed toward an extinction level event. However, all of this was pretty vague which didn’t help. Also, how any of this constitutes an ideal world is tough to see. For all the other heroes, it’s been easier to understand why they would choose to stay on their ideal worlds.

There were things I enjoyed about the issue. Etta Candy being president was pretty cool. But, yeah, this was the hardest tie-in to get behind thus far. Diana probably deserved a bit more.

5 Likes

Agree. I do have a strong belief after they set up the groundwork with the three tribes, the Greek gods, Yara-flor, Nubia, the other Wonder-girls and finally Wonder-woman place in these books than I imagine it would be a amazing series in the future with a relaunch.

It’s no secret Wonder-woman world is kinda dull right now compared to what’s happening in Gotham or Metropolis but lets be fair and admit Superman was kinda all over the place before rebirth gave him a family and his identity being revealed. Hopefully something similar happens with Wonder-woman in the new Dawn era.

4 Likes

A couple of interesting things from today’s releases. In DC: Young Justice #4, Bart reaffirms that this world they’re on is not exactly how he remembers the past being. Then, it’s revealed that the world may be the brain-child of Mr. Mxyzptlk’s son, Mickey. Mickey implores our heroes to stay in the world he created or “you’ll ruin our childhood.” To start, this revelation reinforces the idea that the world Young Justice are in may not be a reflection of Peter David’s Young Justice so much as commentary on toxic fans that wish to always go back to that era. Also, it appears that Pariah may have nothing to do with this “ideal world” as I originally thought. Otherwise, I’m glad Cassie and Cissie were able to work through some things as I always liked their friendship.

In Flash #786, the Flash Family returned to help the heroes fight Slade’s army. There were some interesting references to things that may be coming in future issues. First, when Jay Garrick saw Linda in a Flash costume, he called her Judy and then wrote it off as a weird feeling of deja vu. This is likely a reference to Judy Garrick, the daughter he never had, who will likely show up in the New Golden Age title Stargirl: The Lost Children. Later, Klarion warns Wally that he isn’t ready for “The Fraction.” That may reference an enemy that Wally and co. will have to face later in Adams’ run. Otherwise, it was great seeing more of the JSA in action. I also really love the friendship between Irey and Maxine Baker.

4 Likes

That’s so interesting because I myself never grew up with the peter david run, the only thing I knew of young justice was the animated series and the Bendis series.

For a newcomer, if this is supposed to represent “toxic fans” wanting something to go back to that time than I myself am confused because the Bendis never felt like it was moving away from the 90s series. Rather it’s a continuation, remixing the established 90s young justice team with new members like Teen lantern and Amethyst and that was in 2019.
Again i was not familiar with the team and thankfully I had got DC universe app to read the old series just so I can understand what was going on.
I swear to god when I was reading Bendis Young Justice, I was confused why Dick Grayson was Robin again until I remember Tim Drake existed :laughing:.

Anyway my dumb point is that I’m not sure if the Young Justice comic fans ever left that era. The only thing I would say is that Fritzman is wanting to bring nostalgia to let fans know that things must change.

3 Likes

I mean, Young Justice was a late 90’s/early 2000’s book outside of the Bendis revamp. So, in a sense, fans of the Young Justice book probably didn’t leave that era.

The problem is, Young Justice doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Some of the characters that made up its membership have gone on to other things and changed in other books. Specifically, I’m thinking of Tim Drake coming out as bisexual. Fitzmartin was the writer in charge of Tim’s coming out of the closet. I’m guessing that a certain sector of the fanbase was not happy about this and used the old Young Justice late 90s/early 2000s status quo to amplify their complaints. I could easily see some of these fans claiming that Fitzmartin “ruined their childhood” by making that change to Tim.

So, yes, Fitzmartin is letting fans know why things must change. However, I do believe that this is a message to a specific section of the fanbase which is where my “toxic fan” theory comes from.

Edit: Or, to put it more simply, I think that Fitzmartin wrote this story in response to the backlash she received from having Tim come out. I believe that the skewed way in which some of the old Peter David material has been portrayed represents the skewed way in which some of the fans remember that material rather than being a proper representation of the stories themselves.

3 Likes

Thats not a good thing

4 Likes

Honestly, I don’t see a problem with it. Geoff Johns critiqued the fans who felt like DC should go back to the good old days with his characterization of Superboy-Prime. Dan Jurgens’ Zero Hour was a thinly veiled rebuke of fans and creators who wanted to bring back the multiverse or retcon things like Barbara Gordon being shot. Superhero comics and continuity are a constant dialogue between fans and creators. Once a comic is published, a creator is not protected from criticism. On the other hand, if fans loudly voice their complaints in fanzines or message boards then those complaints are open to critique as well. To me, the dialogue makes it more interesting, not less.

3 Likes

I have to agree with @Clonegeek18 it makes it seem like she is saying everyone that likes the old comics is bad not just the ones that don’t like tim being bi
and it should also be okay for people to not like tim being bi if they really like tim with spoiler I don’t think they should be shamed for that we all have ships we like

3 Likes

Or changing a pre-established characters sexuality

3 Likes

the jabs were not at people who just dislike him being bi though it was at anyone
who ever liked him with spoiler it was very clear on that and its not even a ship I really like
or even care about but if it was it would hurt my feelings because she’s saying all these people are bad and wrong just for that nothing else and its not nice

2 Likes

Well, I can’t speak for Meghan Fitzmartin. I am not her and cannot say for sure what her intentions were. All I can do is tell you what I see from the comics and how I would interpret them.

To start, I don’t believe she was trying to shame people for liking the older comics. For two issues straight, she’s made sure to let us know that the things happening in this strange world were not accurate reflections of the past. I believe this was to let us know that she is not trying to shame the older comics.

Second, she made sure to point out that the strange world was going out of its way to be racist and sexist. To me, this means she’s specifically trying to shame the people who go out of their way to offend when arguing against something like Tim coming out as bi. I believe that these are the people she’s specifically calling out.

Finally, I think she’s asking that fans allow characters to change. That’s probably where the Steph comment came in. I think she’s asking fans not to hold onto things like the Steph and Tim ship so tightly that they don’t allow either Tim or Steph to change and grow. Tim being bi doesn’t close the door on him and Steph. However, saying Tim can’t be bi because Steph “is his destiny” basically locks both him and Steph in one status quo forever. I think Fitzmartin is asking fans to let go of that kind of thinking so she can have the freedom to write her stories and allow Tim to have the freedom to change and grow.

Again, those are my takes. I do not speak for Meghan Fitzmartin and I cannot tell anyone else how to feel about anything.

2 Likes

And then have the stories get forgotten in 5 or so years

2 Likes

but even if she didn’t mean to call out everyone it could still be thought to mean that
which is why it was bad to call people out in the work lots of other people are still going to think she means them even if she doesn’t @TheCosmicMoth

3 Likes