Dark Crisis - Preview & Discussion of DCs Major Comic Event for 2022

Yeah, and… I guess that’s Priest’s take. Personally, I don’t think redemption is off the table for anyone. But, he does have a point in, at least, how it might be more difficult for Black Adam because there is an inherent ego in what he does. With the powers of Shazam, he essentially thinks he’s wiser and mightier than everyone around him. Why would he listen to anyone else when he knows better? So… I don’t agree with Priest, but I can see why he believes that.

5 Likes

Yeah I thought the first couple issues were ok. Then they seemingly killed him, then I read Priest’s interview… it just didn’t feel like the type of anti-hero story I thought it was going to be.

5 Likes

Well, I look at what Priest did with Deathstroke as exactly the same mission statement as he’s given for Black Adam. Deathstroke and Black Adam have caused too much death, destruction, and pain - they cannot repay that, and neither of them are willing to make the spiritual changes and habitual behavior alteration to become heroic instead of driven by selfishness. The point of the story is seeing how they can TRY to make changes for the better, and the brief moments of hope are what drive some of the plot forward. Also, in both Black Adam and Deathstroke, Priest has been very careful to seed in heroic characters to root for, so it becomes like a chess game of the villainous protagonist vs. his heroic (though flawed) supporting cast. Very compelling, in my view.

I don’t mind a good villain redemption story, but I find Priest’s moral realism and hard headed commitment to ethical examination vs. sometimes overly easy feel good tropes bracing and invigorating as a reader.

6 Likes

This is quite well said, except that I do agree with Priest. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think it really just depends on what you mean by “redemption” for Black Adam. It would take an awful lot for him to be as selfless and heroic as someone like Superman, but I could see him changing to maybe be less quick to kill, and trying to act more to help other people even if they’re not his subjects or there’s no gain in doing so.

7 Likes

Redemption is tricky. Realistically, there are a lot of people who never quite get there. But, the reason I essentially believe in the superhero “no killing” code is that if you kill someone then there is no chance for redemption. Obviously, Black Adam breaks that code taking the chances he gets away from others, but… I’m a student of Supes and, as such, can’t approach these things as half-measures. So, I gotta keep the door open for Adam even if he never walks through it.

5 Likes

This turned into a bigger side convo than I expected :slightly_smiling_face:

For me, it’s not so much about redemption. I think there’s a spectrum from pure villainy to pure heroism. With Superman as a shining light on one end, and Darkseid as evil personified on the other end of that spectrum (or choose your characters), what do those DC characters that fall in the middle look like? How and when do they cross that line from good to bad? I’m interested in those aspects.

5 Likes

This is a good question id love to see explored. I recall in his Deathstroke run we actually had Killer Frost pop up and flat out state that she isn’t a villain and wants to be a hero and this isn’t ever challenged.

5 Likes

That whole arc from issue 18-29 was a fascinating exploration of what it can look like if someone tries to redeem themselves without confronting what it is that they really need to redeem themselves from - the fundamental selfishness of their nature - rather than just avoiding obvious evil actions.

5 Likes

Thanks. It’s partly why I’m enjoying the current Harley comic. Aside from the humor, she’s trying to be a better person, but has a messed up past that’s hard to get away from. It’s funny and sad at the same time.

5 Likes

I need to catch up a bit on the Harley comic, but I do believe that Killer Frost is with her right now, right?

4 Likes

I haven’t read the latest issue (#18) yet, but she hasn’t appeared in what I’ve read so far.

4 Likes

Uh, forget I said anything then! :laughing:

4 Likes

No worries. I’m the spoiler seeking type :joy:

5 Likes

Great Rao, I’ve had Dark Crisis #3 on my work desk since Tuesday afternoon, and I haven’t yet read it because of work, but holy cow…based on the spoilers I just read, I want to tear into it ASAP! Especially since Yara is being an event-level (figuratively and literally) badass! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

When work’s over, I know exactly what I’m doing.

eyes his copy of Dark Crisis #3

Mmhmm! :nerd_face:

5 Likes

If this is my spoiler you’re basing it off of, you may want to reel in those expectations a little. It’s still a great moment, but I may have oversold it in how I phrased it.

4 Likes

IDK, offhand. I saw someone said she was doing cool stuff while I was “yada, yada, yada-ing” my way through a work-based call and at the same time thought “Yara, yes!”

I’m sure that whatever she does will merit a 52 on my Yara Scale.

5 Likes

Enjoying the event so far. Glad to have the JSA back. Hope we get a new JSA ongoing in 2023!

6 Likes

Finally read Dark Crisis #3 earlier today.

@TheCosmicMoth Yeah, Yara’s moment wasn’t as big as I thought it might be, but…it was still cool to see her stand up to Black Adam.

My favorite scene was the intro of the Justice Society. Loved that, and like others have said, I really hope 2023 is when we get the long, long-rumored new JS ongoing.

On a side note, the introduction of the Justice Society was interesting, as that same artwork was used as a variant cover for the issue.

Usually when interior art is used for covers, its on a secondary printing, but to have interior art used as a variant for a first print is fairly uncommon.

Anyhow, a solid issue. Looking forward to Worlds Without a Justice League: Green Lantern next week (yeah, yeah, I know I said was reading those one-shots in trade, but I changed my mind, again :wink:).

@Green.Lantern and/or @Shayera.Hol are you checking out Worlds Without a Justice League: Green Lantern? Your namesakes are featured in it.

6 Likes

:laughing: I warned you. I can be a bit hyperbolic sometimes…

5 Likes