Dark Crisis - Preview & Discussion of DCs Major Comic Event for 2022

If you’re like me and like to know the backstories and stuff that leads into what you’re about to read/watch then this post might be for you. This is a reading list, in order, of the stories that will be relevant to ‘Dark Crisis’. I’m certain you don’t have to read all of these, or probably any of these, to enjoy ‘Dark Crisis’ on its own but if you want to know the history of the story, the characters and how we got to where the story will begin this is, from my understanding based on what has been teased/released so far, the books you’ll need to read before it begins and again, these are listed in order that you should read them.

Please let me know if you see an error or have different information, I am FAR from being above reproach on any of this and only provide this as a guide for like-minded fans.

We start back in the 80s with ‘Crisis on Infinite Earths’ and Alan Moore’s run on ‘Saga of the Swamp Thing’, both of which were specifically mentioned by DC in the announcement of the ‘Dark Crisis’ event.

> In the original Crisis on Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez, the homeworld of Pariah, along with the infinite Multiverse, was obliterated. Now this mad sole survivor has found a way to bring his homeworld and the entire infinite Multiverse back from the dead: Earth-0 must die. An ancient destructive force called the Great Darkness, first appearing in Swamp Thing by Alan Moore and Stan Woch, is the weapon Pariah will wield as he paves a path to rebirth and vengeance.

I’ve provided a link to the first issue for each as a starting point for you here on DCUI.

• The Saga of the Swamp Thing #20
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #21
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #22
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #23
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #24
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #25
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #26
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #27
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #28
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #29
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #30
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #31
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing Annual #2
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #32
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #33
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #34
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #35
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #2
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #36
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #3
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #37
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #4
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #38
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #5
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #39
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #6
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #40
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #7
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #41
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #8
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #42
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #9
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #43
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #10
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #44
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #11
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #45
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #12
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing #46

Then there’s a jump to Grant Morrison’s run on ‘Multiversity’ which will introduce characters relevant to the rest of the stories:

• The Multiversity #1
  • The Multiversity: The Society of Super-Heroes: Conquerors of the Counter-World #1
  • The Multiversity: The Just #1
  • The Multiversity: Pax Americana #1
  • The Multiversity: Thunderworld Adventures #1
  • The Multiversity Guidebook #1
  • The Multiversity: Mastermen #1
  • The Multiversity: Ultra Comics #1
  • The Multiversity #2

We then jump forward to ‘Future State: The Flash’ and the current run both on ‘Justice League’ and ‘Infinite Frontier’ which, again, were specifically mentioned by DC in their announcement of the ‘Dark Crisis’ event:

CBR: Way back during Future State, Jesse Chambers hinted at a cataclysmic incident that brought them to Earth-11 before deciding to stay in the DCU. Is Dark Crisis a version of that reality-sundering event?

Joshua Williamson: We’ll see. [ laughs ] Sam, you know me. You know that I’m obsessed with continuity and making sure that everything connects. I think people will be surprised by how much we dig into some of that stuff. Future State, at this point, has kind of become its own thing, but I would say that everything I write at DC is connected – so that’s my answer to that question. [ laughs ]

Dark Crisis spins out of Justice League 75 ‘DEATH OF THE JUSTICE LEAGUE’ and connects all the story threads across the DCU since Infinite Frontier #0 in a major way. Unifying the new legacy of the DCU as we honor the classic. You can’t miss it!"

Once again I’ve provided a link for the first issue of each series to get you started:

• Detective Comics #1027
  • Generations Shattered
  • Future State: The Flash #1
  • Generations Forged
  • Future State: The Flash #2
  • Infinite Frontier #0
  • Justice League #59
  • Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #1
  • Justice League #60
  • Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #2
  • Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #3
  • Justice League #61
  • Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #4
  • Justice League #62
  • Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #5
  • Justice League #63
  • Infinite Frontier #1
  • Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #6
  • Justice League #64
  • Infinite Frontier #2
  • Justice League #65
  • Infinite Frontier #3
  • Justice League #66
  • Infinite Frontier #4
  • Infinite Frontier #5
  • Infinite Frontier #6
  • Justice League #67
  • Justice League #68
  • Justice League #69
  • Justice League Incarnate #1
  • Justice League Incarnate #2
  • Justice League #70
  • Justice League Incarnate #3
  • Justice League #71
  • Justice League Incarnate #4
  • Justice League #72
  • Justice League Incarnate #5
  • Justice League #73
  • Justice League #74
  • Robin #12
  • Deathstroke Inc. #7
  • Shadow War Alpha #1
  • Batman #122
  • Flashpoint Beyond #0
  • Deathstroke Inc. #8
  • Robin #13
  • Batman #123
  • Shadow War Zone #1
  • Deathstroke Inc. #9
  • Robin #14
  • Shadow War Omega #1
  • Justice League #75
  • Flashpoint Beyond #1
  • Dark Crisis #0 Free Comic Book Day Special Edition
  • Justice League: Road to Dark Crisis #1
  • Flashpoint Beyond #2
  • Dark Crisis #1
  • Flashpoint Beyond #3
  • Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice League - Superman #1

The books in italics at the bottom of this list are books for ‘Justice League’, ‘Justice League Incarnate’ and ‘Infinite Frontier’ which are not yet available on DCUI. They are available at your LCS or through DCComics.com if you want to read them before they land here. The books in bold at the bottom of the list have not yet been released.

(Edited to add ‘Future State: The Flash’, ‘Justice League Incarnate’ and the upcoming issues for the ‘Shadow War’ crossover event which will apparently be crucial to the story)

(Edited 04/12/22 to add Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice League - Superman #1)

(Edited 04/17/22 to add Flashpoint Beyond, Multiversity and Generations titles)

6 Likes