Damian Wayne Gets New "Robin" Series By Joshua Williamson in April

Joshua Williamson and Gleb Melnikov will be doing a new Robin series in April starring Damian Wayne, where he’ll be trying to prove himself by getting into and ultimately winning the League of Lazarus Tournament, to become the best fighter in the DC Universe.

This series will have a prelude two-part back-up stories in March’s Batman #106 and Detective Comics #1034.

I am SO EXCITED for this. Damian is possibly my favorite Robin, and I’ve been a little concerned about where he was going to go now, and I’m glad he’s getting his own series again. Williamson I mostly know from his Flash run which was…okay, but I’m definitely going to give it a shot. Plus that new costume is, IMO, :fire: :fire: :fire:

What do you guys think of this?

8 Likes

Good news for Damian Wayne fans! The idea of Robin/Damian being a solo hero is intriguing. Damian is one of those characters that I sometimes really dislike, or they start to grow on me, depending on the writer/story. I feel like the character works better when he’s viewed as more than angsty young teen with a chip on his shoulder. I may check it out once it hits DCU :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

I’m excited! I liked Joshua Williamson’s run on Flash. And it is time for Damian to figure himself out. I like the cover; his outfit looks cool. I’m very optimistic about this series.

I’m interested in the fact that it is going to be called “Robin”, considering he isn’t Robin anymore. So I wonder if he will be taking that name back, or if he will be getting a new name.

4 Likes

I really hope this is the first step in redeeming Damian. I don’t mind when he’s arrogant but Teen Titans turned him into an unlikable little sociopath.

3 Likes

Agree, he had such growth in his own title, Super Sons and across Bat titles, the TT made him horrible. Really most of that run was not a good read.

3 Likes

This is what I am really curious about. I wonder if calling the book Robin is to help draw people into it more. They are more likely to pick up a book named after someone they know :woman_shrugging:

I did notice the description mentioned about his growth. I just hope we keep seeing that because the second half of Teen Titans really took all the character growth he has had over the years a few steps back.

3 Likes

I think Damian had some real growth and good stories in some books, while crashed in others. Hopefully, this will trend toward the former. I’d love to see Dick guest star occassionally. Their dynamic is one of my favorites for both characters.

5 Likes

This is probably exactly why.

I also agree about his growth. Hopefully, they can get his character back on track. He was making great progress.

3 Likes

He was making great progress and I hope he goes back that direction. I have to agree with c02goddess.16092 that it would be nice to hace Dick show up. I think that would really help Damian be better.

4 Likes

Sounds like an interesting hook for the series.

Will give it a look in April for sure.

2 Likes

laughs in Shiva

2 Likes

Nothin’ wrong with dreaming big!

Oh, and here’s some designs that the artist for the book has put online:

Damian/Robin:

New character Flatline:

5 Likes

She and Punchline are probably gonna join other new characters Deadline, Timeline and Headline in some sort of gang

5 Likes

I’m so excited! Thank you @Jay_Kay for bringing this to my attention - I will definitely check this out come April! :grin:

And I really like Damian’s new design!

3 Likes

I really do like these designs. Flatline looks interesting. I’m curious as to what she does. I can guess, but still. :laughing:

I didn’t expect to like a black and gray Robin suit. But it really does look gorgeous.

1 Like

Same here, but it definitely works for Damian. I’m just undecided if the yellow inside of the cape clashes with it or not.

2 Likes

I like it. Mostly because it is his cape. He made a whole new outfit and just put his old cape back on. Perfect Damian.

2 Likes